DrewBronc21

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Subaru STi, 2018 Camry Hybrid
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Now they need to tune it so we can see them gainz!!
Sponsored

VoltageDrop

Base
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23, 69 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

"In typical Ford fashion, under-promise and overdeliver" .... umm, can we agree to disagree? :ROFLMAO:

Theherofails

Badlands
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 e-tron Sportback, 2021 Bronco Badlands Sas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Not sure how fast it will appear to be with the 10 speed but with the 7 speed manual in a stock 4 door badlands it was definitely under powered.
I know that is subjective, but also weird to hear. the 2.3L in my Ranger is very sporty. It won't win a drag race but it has enough pep to make it feel like a go kart.

Altitude

Badlands
First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Grand Cherokee, 2008 Suzuki B-King
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I know that is subjective, but also weird to hear. the 2.3L in my Ranger is very sporty. It won't win a drag race but it has enough pep to make it feel like a go kart.
It would likely win a drag race against a 2.3L Bronco with the Sasquatch package.

Richtor

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Tremor 7.3, 21 Badlands Sasquatch Stick(order)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
As others have stated that is wheel power. The only way to measure from the engine is to pull it out and hook it to a engine dyno. Impressive numbers!

Sponsored

BaseSquatch

Base
First Name
@NotOJsBronco
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

GlowingMoose

First Edition
First Name
Glendon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cheverolet Traverse
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

It is still hard to register in my head a 2.3 has more hp than a 351 from a 1996 bronco.
I have a hard time wrapping my head around this as well. Those 351's were nice and I loved the sound...

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
In the words of one old racer, "If it can't light up the tires from the exit of one corner to the entry of the next corner, it's underpowered".

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Does the manual transmission have a speed governor as well?
Yes, but like most things, it can be reprogrammed. My F-150 is factory limited to 100 MPH, but flash the ECU and viola, it will do over 120 MPH.

Sponsored

VelocityBrew

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Badlands, 20 Passport, 16 1190 Adventure
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Why did the OP say "measured at the engine" when it's obviously rear wheel numbers? 🤔🤔

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4dr OBX MIC 2.7 Rear Locker A51 Roast
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

It’s a typo. All 2021 Broncos come with the 10R60 transmission.
Some Typos on tests and reviews of vehicles that demonstrate unfamiliarity with that vehicle, make the reader doubt the legitimacy or accuracy of that test or review. Especially on a Bronco issue like not putting the Ranger 10R80 Transmission in the Bronco.

BossMann

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Honda Pilot
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I thought mfgrs stopped reporting HP numbers at the crank and always at the wheels?

Laminar

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cougar
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
It's kind of annoying that they picked a gear that didn't let them run to redline.

Historically, dyno operators liked to run in a 1:1 gear ratio because that produced the fewest drivetrain losses through a typical manual transmission. In most manual transmissions, the 1:1 gear locks together the input and output shafts, meaning power doesn't have to flow through the countershaft so you avoid the power loss caused by transmitting power through a couple pairs of gears.

With the 10R60 transmission, it's a series of planetary gearsets with clutches and brakes designed to hold various gearsets in place to achieve the desired gear ratio. Seventh gear, the 1:1 ratio gear, is just another combination of braked or released planetary gears. There's nothing magical, straight-through, or specifically low-loss about it, so there's no advantage to using that gear.

https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2014/12/saturation-dive-ford-10-speed-transmission-power-flow/

They could have easily used 5th or 6th and run it all the way up to redline. It may not have increased the peak numbers, but at least we would have gotten to see the accurate power dropoff after peak.

It's also unfortunate that they messed up the transmission model and the power rating, too.

The test that I really want to see is a dyno in each gear and starting as low in the RPM band as they can. Compare that to, say, a 2.3 EcoBoost Mustang to see how badly they're neutering the Bronco's low end, and if they're limiting torque in lower gears to save the drivetrain.
Sponsored