Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Does anyone know if the AUX switches are active with the key off?
Sponsored

Sergeant Gearhead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Something tells me the aux switches are going to be a popular option for all of the Bronco modders. I know I would want them.

JaxGtc

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 EB Sport; 2021 Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Does anyone know if the AUX switches are active with the key off?
I think i read where they are ignition wired, but the last two might be reworked to remain hot.

Busterbronco1

Black Diamond
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT Premium and 1982 F100 Short Bed.
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

6 aux switches and pre wiring in vehicle for up to three components, one in the rear, one on the roof leading edge and one up front in grille area. That leaves three additional aux switches that can power some other stuff but you dont have any pre wiring for these other things. right? I wish Ford had wires two wires heading to the rear not just one for pre wiring, perhaps two to the front and leave one with a "wire your own" to account for the 6 potential aux components. that would be much more helpful.

swooshdave

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

6 aux switches and pre wiring in vehicle for up to three components, one in the rear, one on the roof leading edge and one up front in grille area. That leaves three additional aux switches that can power some other stuff but you dont have any pre wiring for these other things. right? I wish Ford had wires two wires heading to the rear not just one for pre wiring, perhaps two to the front and leave one with a "wire your own" to account for the 6 potential aux components. that would be much more helpful.
While true I think we should be grateful they included as many wires as they did considering a vast majority of the wires may never get used.

Sponsored

Busterbronco1

Black Diamond
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT Premium and 1982 F100 Short Bed.
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

While true I think we should be grateful they included as many wires as they did considering a vast majority of the wires may never get used.
I am surely grateful. I guess it is an observation and a suggestion. Just when you read the info about the switches and descriptions..... they all kind of suggest that you have wiring all set up for all the aux switches.... (a little detail they dont really mention unless i missed it)

RoadKiller

Big Bend
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Junk-Wife gets new and I get left over
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Ford did a great job of building in customization by putting in the ground work for accessories. I only plan on adding lights later so I had a hard time adding an AUX switch panel for 1 to be used. I hope I don't regret my decision as I'm fishing lines latter. Plus I didn't want people asking what's this switch do... nothing, nothing, nothing, nothing, nothing and that last one does the lights. Am I making a mistake if just adding lights?

swooshdave

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I am surely grateful. I guess it is an observation and a suggestion. Just when you read the info about the switches and descriptions..... they all kind of suggest that you have wiring all set up for all the aux switches.... (a little detail they dont really mention unless i missed it)
The reason they didn’t set up all the switches was to give you the flexibility of assigning the switches the was you want and not dictating it. This was if you want Switch 1 to the light bar and I want it for a backup light we both win.

VoltageDrop

Base
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23, 69 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I think i read where they are ignition wired, but the last two might be reworked to remain hot.
Here's how it works on the newer trucks and hopefully Bronco works the same. If not, there's just that one switch supply wire you'd have to move to an always-hot fuse since the relays themselves are fed with always-hot power.
Ford Bronco 2021 Bronco AUX Switches Wiring Diagram, Video, Discussions 2018_F250_upfitter_switches

mackdriver431

Black Diamond
First Name
ANTHONY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TOYOTA FJ CRUISER 2007
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Short of the long of it:

All switch wires terminate under the hood at the power distribution point. These 6 power leads are relayed and fused already and have specific ratings. (The power is not actually running through the switches in the cab

From that point, additional wires are prerun to various points in the Bronco (Grill, behind glove box). And then from the glove box additional wires are run further (top of the windshield, right rear quarter).

You connect the specific switch wire at the distribution point to the next wire that heads in whatever direction you want to power. Additional connection may/can be made at that next wire’s termination point to continue to the desired destination.

Or you just connect your own wires to whichever switched power circuit you want and run it yourself to wherever.

We already know that the switches/circuits are rated for various amps, so relays are not (necessarily) needed. But if you did want to exceed the switch’s amp rating, it would be easy to add the relay in the engine bay at the distribution point before you send the power along. (You would just have to be mindful of whatever gauge wire you use from that point forward.)

All trailing wires are rated for the highest amp switch, so you theoretically don’t have to worry about the connections down the line as long as you select the appropriate switch for the load.
Fords version on a S-POD i guess

Sponsored

Tahotrvlr

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Tahotrvlr
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'75 Bronco Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Short of the long of it:

All switch wires terminate under the hood at the power distribution point. These 6 power leads are relayed and fused already and have specific ratings. (The power is not actually running through the switches in the cab

From that point, additional wires are prerun to various points in the Bronco (Grill, behind glove box). And then from the glove box additional wires are run further (top of the windshield, right rear quarter).

You connect the specific switch wire at the distribution point to the next wire that heads in whatever direction you want to power. Additional connection may/can be made at that next wire’s termination point to continue to the desired destination.

Or you just connect your own wires to whichever switched power circuit you want and run it yourself to wherever.

We already know that the switches/circuits are rated for various amps, so relays are not (necessarily) needed. But if you did want to exceed the switch’s amp rating, it would be easy to add the relay in the engine bay at the distribution point before you send the power along. (You would just have to be mindful of whatever gauge wire you use from that point forward.)

All trailing wires are rated for the highest amp switch, so you theoretically don’t have to worry about the connections down the line as long as you select the appropriate switch for the load.

and......(most importanly)

you forgot to mention (as did the video) that to complete the circuit with whatever accessory you are attempting to hook up, it must be grounded to the body ....right?????

Thanks though... I do appreciate you mentioning they are fused and relayed circuits...
good info(y)(y)(y)

Last edited:

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

and......(most importanly)

you forgot to mention (as did the video) that to complete the circuit with whatever accessory you are attempting to hook up, it must be grounded to the body ....right?????

Thanks though... I do appreciate you mentioning they are fused and relayed circuits...
good info(y)(y)(y)
Absolutely.

I will say, if for anyone that level of electrical circuitry 101 is needed to be said, they probably shouldn’t be wiring in these switches without some help.

;)

PDiddy

Black Diamond
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Yeah, I’m quite happy with what they did. My 4 switches in my gladiator daylight under my hood. You have to run your wires from there. Plus it only has four switches. Ford took it quite a few steps further.

I can control how the switches behave through my infotainment system. So I can choose with or with out ignition, switch type (toggle, stay on while pressed...) and a few other choices. I’m going to assume Ford is doing the same with the bronco.

I’m please with how Jeep did it, so I would consider it a home run with how Ford did it. You got to give it to them. They looked at what was good with the wrangler and made some improvements. Gotta love competition. I hope Toyota is paying attention. It would be nice to see the 4Runner take it up a notch too.

LowerSlowerDelaware

Base
First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Outback, Chevy S10 Ram 3500
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

So how hard would it be the add the Aux Switches after delivery? Something simple like just needing to add the switches to the MIC's overhead console?

I originally wanted them because for $195 that's was a steal but my dealer fauxed up my order on my Base.

rustedgoat

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Element
Your Bronco Model
Base
So how hard would it be the add the Aux Switches after delivery? Something simple like just needing to add the switches to the MIC's overhead console?

I originally wanted them because for $195 that's was a steal but my dealer fauxed up my order on my Base.
I was wondering the same thing. Is the wire harness already in place?
Sponsored