Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Saw this video and thought I would share. Goes through step by step on how to remove the grille and lettering, and paint them. Also how to put it all back together. Great DIY video

by @BudgetBronco

Sponsored

JBowles

Badlands
First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 2500
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That looks better than all the other painted grills I've seen so far, I still think the ticket is leaving the edges non-white, but I could be wrong.

BudgetBronco

Base
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2003 Jeep WJ Grand Cherokee Overland
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Ah you beat me to it before I got it posted here, I am Budget Bronco on YT, @Timinpgh here on 6G. I'll follow this thread and can answer any questions (on the grille, not on fashion choices :LOL:).

I thought about doing the edges in AMB but in the end decided against it. I think if you were taking it to a professional painter that would be a good choice, but doing it DIY I was not sure I would be able to make it look as clean as I wanted.

Sponsored

broadicustomworks

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Z71, 06 VTX1300, 94 Cobra, 21 BL Bronco 4dr.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ended up looking good.
I have a few critiques/ points of advice (not criticism, as he did a lot of things right, and it is a great video with good details).

-I'll start with the prep. It is very aggressive to use a 320 grit and use rattle can products. They generally have quite a bit of shrinkage when cured and typically you have to pile the product on heavy (in multi coats, not all at once) to cover those scratches. And in doing so you can compromise the quality or longevity of the paint. I recommend a red scotchbrite minimum and if using paper, no more aggressive than 600).

-I would use a prep solvent (wax and grease remover) to clean them before and after sanding. Plastics have a mold release agent that needs to be removed completely via chemicals or the paint won't stick long term.

-Glad to see the adhesion promoter. It is a must for plastic painting. Very good!

-Also very good use of the clothespins and foam block. Pretty smart stuff and I use stuff like this all the time for small parts, and it works well.

-Rattle can products do not have the longevity or protection from the elements or UV that actual vehicle paints do. It will look good for a while, but then you have to redo it. There's pretty much one time you can remove those letters and do it this way. Once you epoxy them back on, you'll be taping them off the 2nd time.

-As far as vehicle paints, you can use a 2K rattle can clear and it goes a long way and is much better than straight rattle can enamels. More in the next bullet point:
-I never recommend trying to paint a vehicle with a too-small compressor or a low-end gun (think Harbor freight or Lowes). But for small project stuff like this, you would be fine with both. Rattle can paint is cheaper, easier. Cost-wise you are looking at about $100 worth of real car base and clear, including the adhesion promoter and prep solvent. Rattle can stuff you are probably looking at around $30, so not a HUGE difference in price, but a substantial difference in quality and longevity.

-Long story short: If I did not have at least a small compressor at all or access to one and was not comfortable trying to use a paint gun, I'd do exactly what he did, the only exception being the aggressive grit of paper.

Overall I like what he did there, looks good, and a very informative, detailed video that was steady, easy to understand and hear, and good angles/perspectives. Kudos to the originator.

broadicustomworks

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ah you beat me to it before I got it posted here, I am Budget Bronco on YT, @Timinpgh here on 6G. I'll follow this thread and can answer any questions (on the grille, not on fashion choices :LOL:).

I thought about doing the edges in AMB but in the end decided against it. I think if you were taking it to a professional painter that would be a good choice, but doing it DIY I was not sure I would be able to make it look as clean as I wanted.
Good job, sir. Please don't take offense to my points above. I think you did an outstanding job with what you had to work with.
The final finish looked good in the video, and it is a vast improvement over stock, for sure.

palley6

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

nice. the second he painted the grill i thought to myself, "damn gonna regret not taping the pin holes later." sure enough, pain...but i am glad he kept it in there for us all to learn from

BudgetBronco

Base
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Good job, sir. Please don't take offense to my points above. I think you did an outstanding job with what you had to work with.
The final finish looked good in the video, and it is a vast improvement over stock, for sure.
None taken, thanks for the input. Maybe it will help the next guy. It sounds like you are a professional painter. How much would you charge for this job using pro equipment?

Sponsored

BudgetBronco

Base
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

nice. the second he painted the grill i thought to myself, "damn gonna regret not taping the pin holes later." sure enough, pain...but i am glad he kept it in there for us all to learn from
I had in my mind to tape them, but in the excitement of getting started just forgot. I will always try to include such learnings in my videos, that is really the whole point, to share info with the community. Thanks!

broadicustomworks

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

None taken, thanks for the input. Maybe it will help the next guy. It sounds like you are a professional painter. How much would you charge for this job using pro equipment?
I am, been doing it for about 30 years now.

Honestly I'd feel guilty if I charged more than $200 for this job, and that sounds like a lot.
Good thing is that I'd be able to get the paint and clear, and spread that cost out across several (in theory), so basically it could be done for that...

peterh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep wrangler jlu 2018
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

man that looks really good, great upgrade and makes the blue more apparent to my eye. I do like the base lights more too, bummer that you can't get them easily on all trims.

BudgetBronco

Base
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I wonder with vibration if the letter adhesive will eventually freak free and they rattle. Are they deep enough to pilot hole and screw on the back….
Time will tell...I will update here if I have any problems down the road.

It would be very difficult to use a screw to hold them on. The pins are less than 1/4" diameter and only about 3/4" deep or so. Also if you check the video, I was able to re-ment some of the plastic from the letters in to the plastic of the grille, so I feel pretty good that they are secure.
Sponsored