First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Base
Very nice. I think I will try small screws and washers to hold letters on.
Sponsored

Fly by Nite

Base
First Name
Walt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1991 F-150 Nite, 2001 Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Very well done video, Thanks!
-I'll start with the prep. It is very aggressive to use a 320 grit and use rattle can products.
I recommend a red scotchbrite minimum and if using paper, no more aggressive than 600).
Scotchbrite is fantastic for scuffing! Fine steel wool also works well and may be easier to find. It does create more particulate tho.

I am, been doing it for about 30 years now.

Honestly I'd feel guilty if I charged more than $200 for this job, and that sounds like a lot.
Good thing is that I'd be able to get the paint and clear, and spread that cost out across several (in theory), so basically it could be done for that...
And at $200 you're not making much! There is a LOT of time that goes into a job like this. Proper prep takes forever, then add R&R, the dry time for the paint coats, and equipment clean-up afterwards and it really adds up.
In my restorations, I've spent hours restoring a $20 part that is no longer available.... I could never make it doing restorations as a business.

Happytown

Badlands
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 F150 Eco SCREW 4WD
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I am, been doing it for about 30 years now.

Honestly I'd feel guilty if I charged more than $200 for this job, and that sounds like a lot.
Good thing is that I'd be able to get the paint and clear, and spread that cost out across several (in theory), so basically it could be done for that...
What's your venmo and shipping address? 😁

broadicustomworks

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Z71, 06 VTX1300, 94 Cobra, 21 BL Bronco 4dr.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

What's your venmo and shipping address? 😁
DM me and we can work it out if you are serious...
I do PayPal, I guess I need to join the 21st century and check out this Venmo thing...

Sponsored

BudgetBronco

Base
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2003 Jeep WJ Grand Cherokee Overland
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I like the idea of painting the grille as I'm not a fan of the regular grey grilles. Can't say that I'm a fan of that white grille though. Reminds me of a tacky mod like what people do to their Wranglers and make them look aesthetically worse. To each their own and as long as the owner is happy with it.
I agree it is not for everyone. Best thing is that the grilles are so easy to take off and exchange, in the future there will be a lot of aftermarket options, and also a lot of owners selling the ones they take off, we can all try different colors and options.

BudgetBronco

Base
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I believe there are caps that snap on to the base grill to make the white lettering we see on all the other models, I’d probably just paint those and leave the bases the way it came from the factory.
Very nice result…
Can you post a link to these caps? A couple other people have mentioned them but I have never seen any.

BudgetBronco

Base
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Tim... Awesome job! Since we are the only two YouTubers with Base 2-Door Antimatter Blue Manuals, I feel like I need to keep mine stock now so that you have something to do compare to. You are way more gutsy than me. Congrats!
Thanks, maybe we will meet up at a show some day. I wanted to come up for Woodward but couldn't make it this year.

BudgetBronco

Base
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Thanks, great step by step! Would a clear coat be needed/recommended too? I’ve thought about painting the grill Iconic Silver, when get my M22 Badlands…I’ve got some time to decide 😪
Yes, I did clear coat, just left that off the video in interest of time. I think that will help deflect some chips from small rocks.

BudgetBronco

Base
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Sponsored

ssolypop

Badlands
First Name
Solomon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Avenger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

HAHA that is my buddy Andy but he will get a real kick out of this that you thought he was my son!
Oh yikes! Tell him he has that young guy look 😂

I frankly see things all the time and make random assumptions so not sure what I actually saw 🙈

Rubicon 2 Badlands

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 JKU Rubicon / 2021 Bronco: Badlands/Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ah you beat me to it before I got it posted here, I am Budget Bronco on YT, @Timinpgh here on 6G. I'll follow this thread and can answer any questions (on the grille, not on fashion choices :LOL:).

I thought about doing the edges in AMB but in the end decided against it. I think if you were taking it to a professional painter that would be a good choice, but doing it DIY I was not sure I would be able to make it look as clean as I wanted.
Looks Great!

Lowcountry Bronco

Heritage
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger and Toyota FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Glad someone showed how to do this. He had me pretty nervous putting the epoxy on the letters right over the newly painted grille!

BudgetBronco

Base
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Glad someone showed how to do this. He had me pretty nervous putting the epoxy on the letters right over the newly painted grille!
In hindsight that was dumb. I was trying to film and hold everything at the same time. Could have been a disaster, but glad it was not
Sponsored