Laminar

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cougar
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
the headlight rating is hugely weighted. if you don't have the turning style headlights, you'll fail that test.
Great rating. The headlight thing gets every car outside the luxury range. Good to see.
Here's the list of vehicles that made the "good" list for 2021:

https://www.iihs.org/news/detail/iihs-award-criteria-push-manufacturers-to-scrap-inferior-headlights

Honda, Hyundai, Subaru, Toyota, and Mazda all got Good ratings. Are those "luxury range"?
Sponsored

Enginerd39

Badlands
First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
How does all this affect insurance rates? Is the Bronco super high to insure? Now that I have a VIN I guess I can find out. I hope I can afford it on fixed retirement income.......
I got a quote on a 2021 Badlands, and it came in at like 10% higher per month compared to a 2016 Mazda 3, a little commuter car. So based on that, not high to insure at all.

Techun

Black Diamond
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BD, 2.7, MIC, 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
My insurance was cheap, the same as for my 2015 fiesta st.
3 cars, under $100/mo for low deductibles.

andrusoid

Base
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Outback, '79 2G, '89 3G, '92 5G White!
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

The IIHS just finished its crash testing on the Bronco, it achieve a good rating in 5/6 test. Although it missed out on the Top Safety Pick designation like the Wrangler.

Car And Driver Link

2021 Ford Bronco Misses Top Safety Pick Award over Head Restraints, Lights

The four-door Bronco outscored the 2021 Jeep Wrangler on an important crash test, however.
  • The good news: The 2021 Ford Bronco four-door SUV achieved the top Good rating in five of the six crashworthiness tests administered by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, the group announced today.
  • The less-good news: The Bronco didn't do well enough to earn IIHS Top Safety Pick honors because it got a Marginal rating for headlights and was only rated Acceptable in the head restraint test.
  • Its major competitor, the 2021 Jeep Wrangler, likewise has no Top Safety Pick designation, although for different reasons.
The 2021 Ford Bronco four-door SUV has completed the full set of crash and safety testing from the nonprofit Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS). While the new Bronco achieved the top Good rating in five of six crashworthiness tests, it fell short of earning Top Safety Pick or Top Safety Pick+ honors. Its smaller stablemate, the Bronco Sport, did make the Top Safety Pick+ list for 2021 with Good ratings in all six evaluations.

The Bronco lost points for its head restraints, which were only rated Acceptable (possible ratings are Good, Acceptable, Marginal, and Poor). The IIHS measures the restraints based on an average male occupant's height and the distance behind the person's head, stating the restraint should be about 3.5 inches below the top of the person's head and with as small a distance from the back of the head to the restraint as possible. In rear-end crash testing, the test dummy's neck was "subject to moderate force" and the Bronco's seat didn't support the occupant's head and neck well, indicating that occupants may not be protected well enough against whiplash injuries, the organization said in a statement.

cen2107-03-lg-1639528599.jpg

The Bronco is sold with a choice of two headlight systems, neither of which was rated above Marginal. The lights' low-beams "do not illuminate the road to a far enough distance on curves," says the IIHS. It's worth noting that several automakers have upgraded their headlights—including Ford, on the F-150—since the 2020 model year, when the agency started including them as a criterion for Top Safety Pick.

The Bronco is not alone in the mid-size-SUV category without a Top Safety Pick rating. Its biggest competitor, the Jeep Wrangler, also did not achieve the honor. In the case of the Jeep, its head restraints were rated Good. But while the Bronco was rated Good in the driver's-side small overlap crash test, the Jeep only got Marginal—"due to tipping onto its side" despite performing well otherwise, an IIHS spokesperson explained to Car and Driver.

The Wrangler's headlight choices were rated Marginal or Poor in the agency's stringent evaluations, slightly worse than the Bronco's Marginal ratings. The IIHS website states that only 29 percent of headlight systems tested on 2021 model vehicles achieved a Good rating, so these two SUVs are not alone.

The Bronco also outdoes the Wrangler in crash-prevention equipment, the IIHS said. Both vehicle-to-vehicle and pedestrian front crash protection are standard equipment on the Bronco. On the Wrangler, there's optional vehicle-to-vehicle front crash protection but no pedestrian protection technology available.

On the IIHS's mid-size-SUV list where the Wrangler and Bronco are placed, seven vehicles made the 2021 Top Safety Pick+ list: the Ford Explorer, Hyundai Palisade, Mazda CX-9, Nissan Murano, Subaru Ascent, Toyota Highlander, and Volkswagen ID.4. Another seven earned the 2021 Top Safety Pick designation: the Chevrolet Traverse, Ford Edge and Mustang, Hyundai Santa Fe, Kia Sorento and Telluride, and Volkswagen Tiguan. (Check out the full list of 2021 Top Safety Pick winners on the IIHS website.)

1639581008519.png
I can vouch for the crash worhiness. T-Boned by a Sacramento city bus going 45+.
Ford Bronco 2021 Bronco Crash Test Results - 5/6 Rating by IIHS. Top Jeep Wrangler tempImageMZgne9

Sponsored

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I can vouch for the crash worhiness. T-Boned by a Sacramento city bus going 45+.
Ford Bronco 2021 Bronco Crash Test Results - 5/6 Rating by IIHS. Top Jeep Wrangler tempImageMZgne9

Wow, that sucks, but hopefully the insurance will pay out enough to buy a WildTrak (even if you do get another Base model). Although it's possible that they won't total it. I hope no matter what you get a positive outcome.

andrusoid

Base
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Wow, that sucks, but hopefully the insurance will pay out enough to buy a WildTrak (even if you do get another Base model). Although it's possible that they won't total it. I hope no matter what you get a positive outcome.
Found out, it is not totaled. Only suspension damage is the FT knuckle, the rest is all body parts. I'm pretty impressed as the bus was hauling axx and spun the Bronco more than 90 degrees, rear end striking the bus. Going back and forth with insurance now over the driver door and swing gate damage as the police report only detailed the damage to the suspension and front quarter panel. Swing gate also wil not close. Ford boy shop estimage is $12,000.

Bob Blaylock

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Dodge Dart
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Found out, it is not totaled. Only suspension damage is the FT knuckle, the rest is all body parts. I'm pretty impressed as the bus was hauling axx and spun the Bronco more than 90 degrees, rear end striking the bus. Going back and forth with insurance now over the driver door and swing gate damage as the police report only detailed the damage to the suspension and front quarter panel. Swing gate also wil [sic] not close. Ford boy shop estimage [sic] is $12,000.
Sacramento Regional Transit is going to pay for this all, right?

andrusoid

Base
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Sacramento Regional Transit is going to pay for this all, right?
I am pretty sure that State Farm wlll be suing the city. Ford dealer's estimate is right over $12k and will take until late Jan. to get all parts. Most delayed? 16" steelies and the dang plastic bumper of all things.
Sponsored