Sponsored

Mustang313

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT (s197)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I think I see rear curtain airbags if so that's a big safety improvement over the JL.

2021 Ford Bronco Cactus Gray White Top IMG_6148.jpg
The Bronco will definitely be safer than a Wrangler. One of the reasons for this is because it actually has side curtain airbags (unlike the Wrangler). According to FMVSS 214, any vehicle with easily removable doors is not subject to side impact crash tests by NHTSA. Since the Wrangler didn't need to pass that test, Jeep simply decided not to install side curtain airbags. Ford, on the other hand, designed the Bronco to pass the safety requirements that all of its other vehicles do, even if it wasn't required by law. So they packaged side curtain airbags into the roll bars. It's a pretty clever system that I'm sure will be described in greater detail later on.
Came across these posts so thought this topic with confirmation from @laj.tuxmek about side curtain airbags in the Bronco’s rollbars ?
Sponsored

MallCrawlinBranco

Badlands
First Name
stevo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Forester MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
All it takes is wrecking once on the freeway to completely change your perspective on how important crash test ratings are. Ask me how I know...

Small overlap is important because it is (allegedly) how most accidents occur (rarely does a driver hit head on because if you're awake and not a psychopath you're going to try and avoid whatever you're about to hit.)

I also pay attention to the passenger side performance. Wasn't easy finding a girl that would stick with me and I ain't about to lose her like that.

Nova

Wildtrak
First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
velar
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Ford, hope yoir listening and not too late to make this way safer than Jeep. I didn't buy a jeep due to crash test so lets make this a solid. Good post

lolo

First Edition
First Name
lolo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CX-5, Prius, 70 Chevelle ss
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
This comment x100. Just one of many examples of how Ford thought about the customer vs FCA. I imagine there are so many superior things about the Bronco we still don't know about. The fact that people are not even talking about over the air software updates yet is crazy. It's such a huge advantage.
Corrected info: all 2018-forward Jeep Wranglers will now have standard side curtain airbags which are mandated by NHTSA Rule FMVSS No. 266 to be on all vehicles produced on or after September 1, 2017

Washbjj88

Badlands
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Escape
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Came across these posts so thought this topic with confirmation from @laj.tuxmek about side curtain airbags in the Bronco’s rollbars ?
Corrected info: all 2018-forward Jeep Wranglers will now have standard side curtain airbags which are mandated by NHTSA Rule FMVSS No. 266 to be on all vehicles produced on or after September 1, 2017
JL only has front side air bags.

I think the bronco will have front and rear side air bags.

Sponsored

Big_Sele

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Hey everyone, long time lurker, first time poster here!

Anyone with access to a Ford rep (or a rep themselves) know when we'll see crash test results?

Sitting on an FE reservation, been waiting a REALLY long time for this rig. The wife and I always wanted a Wrangler but we've got little ones and want to be able to take them to the trails with us, but could never get past bad crash test ratings, if you can't get out to the trails safely, what's the point? For all you hardcore off-roaders, apologies for the family-oriented post (I know these things are truly meant for the trails, will be built like tanks, etc.).

For those who don't know: 2014 JK Side Impact = "Marginal", Head & Restraints = "Marginal"

2020 JL Small Overlap = "Flipped!?!"
Screen Shot 2020-07-18 at 7.13.32 PM.png

Not to mention the death wobble, lack of modern safety equipment, etc.

So - what do we know? When do crash tests typically come out for a new vehicle? Ford typically builds their trucks and SUVs to a high standard, especially on safety - thus our optimism. While we both originally wanted a JK (then a JL) we're now 100% Bronco devotees, it's perfect! But can we expect to know more about safety before we need to start pulling the triggers on our reservations? For the price we're paying, we all deserve a safe rig.
I doubt that NHTSA, being a government agency, would perform the side impact test because it isn't required by law. However, Ford might communicate with NHTSA and request the side test to be performed. We will have to see.

IIHS will absolutely perform the side impact test because they are a private entity, thus they are not bound by regulations. They have already tested the Wrangler in a side impact test: https://www.iihs.org/ratings/vehicle/jeep/wrangler-4-door-suv/2020
Never apologize when it comes to family. We’re curious about the same question.

TheITGuy

Badlands
First Name
Stache
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ford Bronco 2021 Bronco Crash Tests and Safety Ratings Screenshot_20200725-205339_Chrome

I'm curious to see how the airbags in the Bronco work. The name seems to imply that not only do they cover the sides, but also the roof. If that's the case, then that's a huge improvement over the Wrangler.

jaruss01

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XC90 T6 R-Design / 2020 S60 T6 AWD
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Resurrecting this thread

Do we have anymore color on how the “safety canopy” works? It says front and rear but unclear if that’s both above and to the side of the occupants heads?

Also do we know when/if/required? Ford will release crash test results? Would we have this before we place our orders in December?? Not sure if a car company could even legally take official orders before releasing crash results. But who knows. Very important question that should probably be tweeted to Levine if there’s uncertainty

brewdad

Badlands
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The new generation 2018 Wrangler had front seat side airbags as standard equipment and the prior gen Wranglers this was an option---no Wrangler has ever had side curtain airbags, the only vehicle currently being built without side curtain airbags.

_2020_

Badlands
First Name
Sylvain
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Mini Countryman S , 2015 JKU, 2017 X5 3.5i
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Sponsored

Daktari

Badlands
First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badsquatch, Tacoma TRD Off Road, Jetta
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

lack of safety and steering problems are two of the main reasons I don't have a Rubicon in my driveway right now. Having to add all the new sensor tech as extras while just about any other car gets them standard is just insulting to the customer.
My 17 year old son (and eventually my 13 year old daughter) will be driving it, eventually with friends. I want all the modern safety tech that's available.
That roll over in the test is just ridiculous and no airbags in back is crap. That's where the kids sit with any family!
Add other nonsense like little rocks getting caught between the Wrangler fender flares and the body, rain pouring in from that gutter when you open the door (why do they even have a gutter there, hardly any other car has that anymore) and some other things, I'm glad a foot injury and then covid shutdown prevented me from buying a Wrangler. I'm 100% sold on the Bronco, I will never encounter a trail where IFS would make any difference to me.
I love the wranglers, always have, but I'm glad Ford is going to deliver something where I don't have to run out and replace parts and add rubber hoses to fender flare gaps and all that. Competition is good, it'll be interesting what Jeep does with the next upgrade.

PELS82

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NA
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Really curious about this myself.

Might be a dumb question but out of the 2 door or 4 door is there one that would seem safer? More cargo space in the back better for rear collisions? I know we don’t have official answers but just looking for some knowledge and some educated guesses. Gonna have the wife and kid with me a lot. Im expecting this to be safer than a jeep but still hoping for great things.

SVT_GRL

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 SVT Cobra, 2013 Subaru WRX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ford has been pretty notorious with satisfactory safety ratings as a priority. I’m excited to see what they come up with.
Sponsored