First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Truck
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Agree with previous sentiments of you all. I'm not a brand fanboy despite knowing many as friends and family for 50+ years. I do my research and go with the best options at the time for me & mine. I've done the comparisons; this new Bronco is so far ahead of the current Wrangler, in ANY configuration, that it is going to be a real challenge for Jeep to level the playing field.
I too am very interested in seeing how the Bronco performs in Safety ratings; my grand kids will be wheel'in in this rig too!
Sponsored

Iron Ox

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Almost bought wrangler earlier this year but track bar issues, shotty frame welds, electrical issues, catching on fire, lack of side curtain air bags steered me away.

Confident ford will have good safety rating as well safety tech.

OC4x4

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Avalanche
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Thanks for the info, didnā€™t know the Wrangler didnā€™t have side curtains for the back passengers??

BroncoBuckaroo

Badlands
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017GT350-SOLD, 2013 Ford Edge, 1969 Torino Cobra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This was the reason we didnā€™t buy a wrangler. I was hoping Ford could do much better and I wonder if thatā€™s why they used independent suspension in the front. I will say I get butterflies when I see that roll cage with no cross bar. That being said, I think I read somewhere that Ford has more 5 star safety rated cars than any other brand. Please donā€™t quote me on that, I canā€™t seem to find the article.
From what I understand the the whole top is made with an extremely expensive hardened steel

CJay

Badlands
First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 Ranger FX4 (MANUAL) & '74 VW Thing
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Hey everyone, long time lurker, first time poster here!

Anyone with access to a Ford rep (or a rep themselves) know when we'll see crash test results?

Sitting on an FE reservation, been waiting a REALLY long time for this rig. The wife and I always wanted a Wrangler but we've got little ones and want to be able to take them to the trails with us, but could never get past bad crash test ratings, if you can't get out to the trails safely, what's the point? For all you hardcore off-roaders, apologies for the family-oriented post (I know these things are truly meant for the trails, will be built like tanks, etc.).

For those who don't know: 2014 JK Side Impact = "Marginal", Head & Restraints = "Marginal"

2020 JL Small Overlap = "Flipped!?!"
Screen Shot 2020-07-18 at 7.13.32 PM.png

Not to mention the death wobble, lack of modern safety equipment, etc.

So - what do we know? When do crash tests typically come out for a new vehicle? Ford typically builds their trucks and SUVs to a high standard, especially on safety - thus our optimism. While we both originally wanted a JK (then a JL) we're now 100% Bronco devotees, it's perfect! But can we expect to know more about safety before we need to start pulling the triggers on our reservations? For the price we're paying, we all deserve a safe rig.
Unfortunately the Jeep seems inherently vulnerable in the small overlap testing. Looking at the tapered front end, the crumple zones never really get a chance to absorb much energy of the impact. Instead they glance off the corner of the wall, leaving the easily detached fenders and front wheel to take the brunt of the impact. From there, the high CG, front wheel assembly being forced under frame rail and momentum lifts and flips the vehicle.

If you compare this to the same test on previous versions it looks the wheel assembly was more likely to shear and rotate into the side of the frame rail than underneath it.

I don't know if this is do to changes in the front axle or subtle changes on the width. Either way, I think the wider front end of the Bronco should help absorb a lot more energy. From there I think airbags and safety tech should help get the Bronco a much better rating.

my 2Ā¢

Sponsored

rjkmoto

Black Diamond
First Name
JK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Dodge Challenger Hemi 392 Scatpack Shaker, 2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
From what I understand the the whole top is made with an extremely expensive hardened steel
The same steel that Jeep uses for their ā€œroll cage.ā€ Itā€™s Boron. And itā€™s still not a real roll cage - nor will it be on the Bronco and while the ā€œopen roll cage/no speaker barā€ design of the Bronco cage looks cool because itā€™s so open - itā€™s also SO OPEN. ?ā€ā™‚

The Wrangler (JL) actually did fairly well in its testing except for the side-overlap and while it did tip (not roll two different things) the cab/pax space stayed nearly intact (very little intrusion of the firewall into the front pax knees/feet/footwell).

ā€œDeath Wobbleā€ is a by-product of the SFA but generally ONLY when the SFA and steering system have not been kept up and have been allowed to wear/develop slop - proper maintenance keeps this from happening. Every vehicle requires maintenance regardless of design.

Side curtain airbags are a major oversight in the Wrangler and Gladiator. Period.

Bit the IHS has rated the forward collision system in the Wrangler as one of the better ones on the market.

Anyone claiming a car that hasnā€™t been tested will be better OR worse than one that HAS been tested is just simply making sh*t up. Will the Bronco be safe? Sure. Will it be the safEST? Wait for the test. ?ā€ā™‚

JK

Bassist59

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Tahoe
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I honestly didn't think anyone actually cares about safety ratings. ..
I care. I love Wranglers but canā€™t drive them because one wrong move and youā€™re DEAD or worse.

If the bronco is even reasonably safe, Iā€™ll buy one! If not...Iā€™ll have to get a Forester...and thatā€™s just not the sameā˜¹

Zeke013

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ford Bronco 2021 Bronco Crash Tests and Safety Ratings fc6bbdd5c2097607eea8e04166ff1177d9f6be371b3bf8f7485114a521b41453

ATX_Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands Sasquatch, Wrangler Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Bringing this thread back to the top... Has anyone seen a crash test video of the new Bronco?

Bohlmbo

Badlands
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 1966 Mustang, 2014 Jeep Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If I remember correctly, the IIHS didn't test the new Wrangler JL (the European ratings and video was released before the US) for ratings for at least a year after it was released. Always seemed odd to me that it took that long to receive formal ratings.

So the fact that the Bronco isn't even technically on sale yet, it could be a while.
Sponsored