2021 Bronco engines - I need at least a V6

BroncoMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'71 Bronco, '02 Excursion
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I thought that number was a little big, but I have heard that the Ranger gets along quite well with it.

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I thought that number was a little big, but I have heard that the Ranger gets along quite well with it.
Yeah, even the torque is only 310. The HP is wound up to 350 in some small cars, but the Ranger truck tune is only 270.

For 90% of people with just them self and 14 cups of coffee driving to work or whatever that's pretty good. But you just know that 10 speed auto could handle a lot more ...

BroncoMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Yeah, even the torque is only 310. The HP is wound up to 350 in some small cars, but the Ranger truck tune is only 270.

For 90% of people with just them self and 14 cups of coffee driving to work or whatever that's pretty good. But you just know that 10 speed auto could handle a lot more ...
...and the tuners are probably done with that project already. Once you get big wheels and tires, spare tire(s), extra fuel, water, tools, winches, bumpers, roll bar, compressor, cooler full of ice and drinks, and two typically overweight Americans, it may NEED a tune.

With the modern electronics that some despise, it is now a fairly simple matter to download more HP and/or torque... as long as the engine internals and downstream drivetrain can deal with it.

Carolina Jim

Black Diamond
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
it may NEED a tune
Mike...I guess those comments addressed the 2.3L. I know the 6 cyl is supposed to be available also...but I may have missed which one...is it the 2.7L do you know? Are you guessing that will be the wiser engine choice? Thanks

Sponsored

Jalisurr

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'09 Corvette Z06, '97 Mitsubishi Pajero Evo
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Mike...I guess those comments addressed the 2.3L. I know the 6 cyl is supposed to be available also...but I may have missed which one...is it the 2.7L do you know? Are you guessing that will be the wiser engine choice? Thanks
Everything we've heard has indicated it will be the 2.7, yes. They've been testing it in next gen ranger mules in Australia which is some amount of supporting evidence.
https://www.autoblog.com/2019/09/09/ford-ranger-v6-ecoboost-engine/

HTX1811

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SXT 4x4
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
There you go. The salesman said 330. Hmmm. A salesman did not know the details of the truck he wished to sell.

SMDH.

Ole Skool Bronc

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CJ3B Willys, 1G Bronco, TJ Jeep, Dodge Diesel.
Wow...what a bunch of dicks. I didn’t post this as a fishing expedition trying to get a scoop. Second, the deposit puts me on a VIP list (albeit just with a dealership) and is fully refundable so piss off. And third, my post wasn’t nearly as ridiculous as some of the bullshit I’ve seen on here.
Hey Chris, welcome to the Forum!
Please stick around; while they are flaming you, their not flaming me. Hahaha.

Chris; something only us old guys know: Back in the day when Broncos first came out, Bronco drivers took a lot of sheet from the Jeep community. However the Bronco quickly proved itself and a lot of Bronco owners turned into pretentious dicks. (it was kinda easy when some Jeep guy with a AMC 20 is giving you crap while you're running a Ford 9 inch)
They say history repeats itself, but since no one has even seen the new Bronco; I don't know what their excuse is.

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
..it may NEED a tune.
Sure if you want to HAVE to run premium all the time.
Might as well go diesel if you are going to pay for that expensive fuel.

Would rather have 2.7 or 3.0 that while it could be tuned, could handle
a decent amount of upgrading before you need to tune.

BroncoMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Sure if you want to HAVE to run premium all the time.
Might as well go diesel if you are going to pay for that expensive fuel.

Would rather have 2.7 or 3.0 that while it could be tuned, could handle
a decent amount of upgrading before you need to tune.
Options are always nice. The current Ranger doesn't have any, so hardparts and tuning are the only option. There are dozens of threads here on what we want vs. what Ford is going to serve us.

Next generation Ranger will have options - it was frame constraints that kept anything larger out of the current T6. The international market doesn't have the horsepower freaks that the US has, so nobody saw it as gutless - bringing the Ranger here for 2019 was a stopgap measure and something had to be done to keep it from getting branded as anemic by our standards. They amped that little 4-banger pretty nicely, and it still has room for additional output.

Next generation Bronco will have the ability to fit more cylinders as well. The question as to how many powertrain options will be offered is in corporate hands, god save us.

Sponsored

Wanted33

Outer Banks
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2019 Wrangler, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Growing up during the true muscle car era I too was very skeptical of these new fangled little engines with turbos' on them That was until I was invited by Ford to come to the ZMax Dragway in Concord, NC to beat them around as I wished. Needless to say I am a skeptic no more. Damn, those things can get the job done. But, yes I would still get the six if it were offered early in the Bronco's build. As my first sentence alluded to I'm old, and still have that thought in the back of my mind that "There's no replacement for displacement." :)

Welcome to the forum Chis. Don't leave because of those curt answers at first. Many of us that have been here bit are still looking for answers also. These are good people here, and only want the same as you. And, that's something to hang our hats on instead of the "hot" air that Ford has blowing up up our knickers for all these years. I mean if Ford would just tell us what size tires the dang thing will have, that alone would keep us opining for another six months. :like:

Last edited:

Artie

Wildtrak
First Name
Waymon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150 4X4 Limited, 1961 VW
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
What I would love to see is a "Welcome Page/Thread" for new members to read. Something along the lines of "Read this before posting" just to prevent new members from regurgitating the same posts previous members have made. Chris, I've been on this forum long enough to know that Nick and Chrispy don't mean any ill will towards you. You just are the most recent of an ever expanding list of new members that joined from excitement but didn't do any searching via the forums for your answer before posting. Even though we are still a ways out, the closer we get to the actual announcement/release the more members are going to join this forum. We haven't seen the last of these posts but I think we could help ourselves by creating a "Welcome New Members/Read this Before Posting Thread" It could contain the rumored features from the dealership meetings and patents. I am willing to start such a page but I know for a fact I do not have as good of knowledge as some of the other members do here (I'm looking at you Nick, Stampede and Chrispy)
Here I am --sitting here waiting for my 4th Bronco and in all my 87 years - I have not heard such language EXCEPT FROM SOME OF MY GIRLFRIENDS !

PNW_Bronco94

Badlands
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
That's a big if. I daily a turbo 4, so I know the little turbos are great engines. But there's just something about the feel and rumble of a V8 that can't be replaced. That said, I'll still spring for a I4 or V6 Bronco. I just won't put an exhaust on it!

Last edited:

SpursFan

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
350r, F150, Expedition, Cayenne and the others.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If it wasn't for sound everyone's that's ridden in my 3.5eb vs 5.0 Coyote would say the 3.5 was the bigger engine. Takes a split second if you romp on it vs the v8 but all other scenarios its feels like a 7ltr compared to the coyote.
Sponsored