First Name
Donovan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang, 2014 Focus
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
...my Power Stroke F150 is vastly superior in every way.
Your Power Stroke F150 is vastly superior in every way? Really? Every way? Does it have superior power? Is it superior off-road? Oh wait!! You mean it's superior in every way that matters to you! I got it. It doesn't matter what others want because your way is the correct way.
Sponsored

BroncoBuyer

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC
Your Bronco Model
Base
It may be semantics but with the Bronco being a all new design with the next generation Ranger using the Bronco's base I think saying the next generation Ranger is going to be based off the Bronco is more true.
This has been asked a few times before. Sorry I still haven’t seen anybody answer that question to my full understanding yet but now that I’ve thought about it a few times I’ll give my opinion.

I think the reason it’s based off simply the Ranger chassis is because the Ranger is not new and the chassis size and dynamics for reference are well known. Although there will be a redesign, it’s probably just too complicated to say the Bronco is based off a future planned Ranger chassis. To the common person, it doesn’t really make a difference. It’s as simple as Ranger chassis that’s it.

For example, let say the Bronco was going to be based off the super duty chassis. The super duty chassis has been around since 1998. It has gone through changes over the years but when you say the words “superduty chassis” you pretty much know exactly what somebody is talking about.. You wouldn’t say it’s based off a future super duty chassis because then it brings up even more questions. Like what’s new about the new chassis? Fords answer will most definitely be, Well we can’t tell you because we don’t talk about future vehicles...
So when you hear, it’s based off a Ranger chassis, the fact that they may make a couple design changes to the chassis it doesn’t really matter. You know what a Ranger chassis is and that pretty much sums up what the size of the vehicle will be and the fact that it will be a body on frame design.

Somebody with inside knowledge may have a better answer for you but that’s what I think it is.

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
People are lazy. It's a common mental reference point that quickly puts them in perspective. Being factually correct is irrelevant to most people saying it.

No different than "Baby Bronco". The vehicles have virtually nothing in common that we're aware of, and it is not significantly smaller (most likely larger than the 2-door Bronco). Quick, easy, people get a general idea of what you're talking about, being accurate or logical isn't the point in those statements.

jamanrr

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Ford F150 Powerstroke,
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Better gas mileage and power for one thing. The 2.7 liter turbo motor is now the base engine in the Ford F150 as is the 2.3 liter turbo is the base engine in the new Ranger. I'm kind of disappointed in the new Bronco not using the full size 150 chassis but it is what if is. If you want a v8 sport utility vehicle, I'm sure Dodge will still be putting them in there for a full more years. The simple truth is probably only about 10 to 15 percent of the people on this very board right now will be buying this thing. My wife and I rented a new wrangler while on vacation and was duly impressed with it. As long as the bronco goes that route I'm sure they will have a winner. Oh and the 4 cylinder in the wrangler is plenty powerful enough more everyday use.

People like nostalgia which is why those old 90s Broncos bring 3 to 4 times their true value these days. Want a v8 in your bronco then go buy one of them but you must be prepared to pay close to what a base bronco will more than likely sticker for. I guess I get the love affair with the v8 muscular sound but making a lot of noise and not going anywhere is well what's the point? Muscle cars still have v8 options, but a mid sized Bronfo made to compete against a wrangler will not and that makes most of y'all unhappy. Other options for you all in the market.

DonovanJM

First Name
Donovan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang, 2014 Focus
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Better gas mileage and power for one thing. The 2.7 liter turbo motor is now the base engine in the Ford F150 as is the 2.3 liter turbo is the base engine in the new Ranger. I'm kind of disappointed in the new Bronco not using the full size 150 chassis but it is what if is. If you want a v8 sport utility vehicle, I'm sure Dodge will still be putting them in there for a full more years. The simple truth is probably only about 10 to 15 percent of the people on this very board right now will be buying this thing. My wife and I rented a new wrangler while on vacation and was duly impressed with it. As long as the bronco goes that route I'm sure they will have a winner. Oh and the 4 cylinder in the wrangler is plenty powerful enough more everyday use.

People like nostalgia which is why those old 90s Broncos bring 3 to 4 times their true value these days. Want a v8 in your bronco then go buy one of them but you must be prepared to pay close to what a base bronco will more than likely sticker for. I guess I get the love affair with the v8 muscular sound but making a lot of noise and not going anywhere is well what's the point? Muscle cars still have v8 options, but a mid sized Bronfo made to compete against a wrangler will not and that makes most of y'all unhappy. Other options for you all in the market.
Sooooooo you are still saying that your Super Duty F150 is superior in every way?

Sponsored

jamanrr

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Sooooooo you are still saying that your Super Duty F150 is superior in every way?
Is the v8 a deal breaker for you? Yes the power stroke is 4 grand f150 option while the v8 is a 1 grand option.

Not sure you either know what your talking about or are just trolling?

Tslater1989

Badlands
First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 f150, 2016 explorer, 97 f150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
This has been asked a few times before. Sorry I still haven’t seen anybody answer that question to my full understanding yet but now that I’ve thought about it a few times I’ll give my opinion.

I think the reason it’s based off simply the Ranger chassis is because the Ranger is not new and the chassis size and dynamics for reference are well known. Although there will be a redesign, it’s probably just too complicated to say the Bronco is based off a future planned Ranger chassis. To the common person, it doesn’t really make a difference. It’s as simple as Ranger chassis that’s it.

For example, let say the Bronco was going to be based off the super duty chassis. The super duty chassis has been around since 1998. It has gone through changes over the years but when you say the words “superduty chassis” you pretty much know exactly what somebody is talking about.. You wouldn’t say it’s based off a future super duty chassis because then it brings up even more questions. Like what’s new about the new chassis? Fords answer will most definitely be, Well we can’t tell you because we don’t talk about future vehicles...
So when you hear, it’s based off a Ranger chassis, the fact that they may make a couple design changes to the chassis it doesn’t really matter. You know what a Ranger chassis is and that pretty much sums up what the size of the vehicle will be and the fact that it will be a body on frame design.

Somebody with inside knowledge may have a better answer for you but that’s what I think it is.

While all this is true. There was a goal, a scalable chassis for ALL trucks to share in fords line up. From the superduty on down. I cant remember where I read this tidbit, but I did find it interesting.

DonovanJM

First Name
Donovan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang, 2014 Focus
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Is the v8 a deal breaker for you? Yes the power stroke is 4 grand f150 option while the v8 is a 1 grand option.

Not sure you either know what your talking about or are just trolling?
I personally don't care if the Bronco has a V8. I'm hoping for a V6. Me trolling? I'm not the one trying to say that the F150 power stroke is vastly superior in every way to a V8 Raptor.

jamanrr

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I have owned both of them, so I should know. The Raptor is a great off road vehicle. Not sure the argument??, in sport mode the Power stroke unloaded is as fast or faster than the Gen 1 Raptor. It should be since the power stroke is boosted to 30+ lbs. and while it does not have the off road set up the Raptor does in FX4 with the right tires I am sure it could do just as good. I passed on a Gen 2 Raptor because they do not sound good as has been said and the truck while great looking most Raptor owners do not take them off road.

for me my old gen 1 Raptor which I loved was a gas guzzler, made some clunking noises from the rear end over time, and had its short comings when it came to everyday use. The Powerstroke F150 gets 10-12 mpg better gas mileage, makes a little bit more torque, can handle the off road stuff with the FX4 package, and is a lot better on the highway than the high rise Raptor. Most as in 90 percent of all Raptor owners never take them off road anyway, and I do. I realize technology changes, but having a small diesel option in the full size truck is great. Every other country has been doing it for years, and using the land rover v6 diesel motor in the F150 is brilliant.

The potential energy in diesel is roughly 13 percent greater than gasoline, one is a solvent the other oil based which is it is not uncommon for diesel motors to go a million miles, but the only down side to this little 3 liter diesel motor is that it uses a timing belt and not a chain which could be an issue if I keep it forever. The Bronco appeals to my wife and of course I will get to drive it. The other day I got into a conversation with some dude who bought a Superduty Powerstroke (the real one) complaining about 16 mpgs and told him about the new F150 which he laughed at saying his wife would like the truck. I was like okay enjoy your 16 mpg and 100 dollar fill ups then, doesn't bother me but for what I do the Power stroke 3 liter is vastly superior than my old Raptor. Someone else could have a different opinion.

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 WRANGLER THAT GEICO SPENT $14K FIXING
Your Bronco Model
Base
I think anyone that is seriously banking on a V8 in a midsize vehicle at this point is kidding themselves. It’s just not needed, as much as I’d like one too there’s just no practical reason and a lot of reasons that make it very impractical.

Sponsored

JimmyDean

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
82 Bronco, 513 ci; 71 mach 1, 351C; 06 F-250, 6.0; 56 800, 172c.i. gas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have owned both of them, so I should know. The Raptor is a great off road vehicle. Not sure the argument??, in sport mode the Power stroke unloaded is as fast or faster than the Gen 1 Raptor. It should be since the power stroke is boosted to 30+ lbs. and while it does not have the off road set up the Raptor does in FX4 with the right tires I am sure it could do just as good. I passed on a Gen 2 Raptor because they do not sound good as has been said and the truck while great looking most Raptor owners do not take them off road.

for me my old gen 1 Raptor which I loved was a gas guzzler, made some clunking noises from the rear end over time, and had its short comings when it came to everyday use. The Powerstroke F150 gets 10-12 mpg better gas mileage, makes a little bit more torque, can handle the off road stuff with the FX4 package, and is a lot better on the highway than the high rise Raptor. Most as in 90 percent of all Raptor owners never take them off road anyway, and I do. I realize technology changes, but having a small diesel option in the full size truck is great. Every other country has been doing it for years, and using the land rover v6 diesel motor in the F150 is brilliant.

The potential energy in diesel is roughly 13 percent greater than gasoline, one is a solvent the other oil based which is it is not uncommon for diesel motors to go a million miles, but the only down side to this little 3 liter diesel motor is that it uses a timing belt and not a chain which could be an issue if I keep it forever. The Bronco appeals to my wife and of course I will get to drive it. The other day I got into a conversation with some dude who bought a Superduty Powerstroke (the real one) complaining about 16 mpgs and told him about the new F150 which he laughed at saying his wife would like the truck. I was like okay enjoy your 16 mpg and 100 dollar fill ups then, doesn't bother me but for what I do the Power stroke 3 liter is vastly superior than my old Raptor. Someone else could have a different opinion.
OK, first question:
Why are we talking about comparing a V6 turbo diesel to any gas motors? Apples and Oranges. These engines operate on different thermodynamic cycles even. Their are significantly more differences between these engines and how they even function than 'one uses gas, one uses diesel'.

In many cases, the diesel is better than gas, but not in every metric.

Also, you are wrong to state that diesel contains more power potential than gas. That is simply wrong. Gasoline contains more (we can argue about specific energy vs energy density if you wish, but from a stoichiometric point, we care about specific energy, not the density of the liquid). However, the diesel with a higher autoignition point can be compressed more than gasoline, so it is generally easier to get more power out of a diesel motor with significantly higher compression ratios, topped with boost. There is a reason that people who build performance engines almost always use gasoline or a gasoline derivative/alternative (Avgas, Race gas, E85, etc) and not diesel. To add, if you wish to discuss the efficiency of the different fuels as a matter of costs, then comparing the differences in energy density is far outweighed by the cost of a gallon of diesel vs gallon of gasoline, albeit this physical cost is artificially imposed by government taxes, which is very stupid on their part, imo.

For the negatives, for the same torque output, a diesel will weigh more, and cost more to build than an equivalent gas engine. This is due the tech required to push the pressures required for it to operate properly. God forbid you ever have to replace a diesel engine, scrap the truck and get a new one.

Now, for the purposes of this thread, a I4 vs V6 vs V8, each engine has it's benefits over the other. I am pretty sure by now we can scrap the idea of a factory V8 in our Bronco, but it would be nice to have. And for people who use their trucks in different manners, having options is a good thing. Boosted engines suffer in rock climbing, and are riskier in deep water and mud. larger N/A engines suffer at higher altitudes than their smaller T/C and even same sized S/C counterparts. Smaller T/C engines get better gas mileage...when unloaded. But towing, the V8 tends to outperform in both performance and mileage. Hell, I got 17mpg in my 2wd 5.4 F-150 towing 8000 lbs from New Mexico to Louisiana My BIL's ecoboost gets 15 towing a 4500lb boat.

Basically, if you intend to push a vehicle to the limits, regardless of how, speed, towing, etc, a larger displacement engine is almost always going to be the best option for reliability, because you can get equal performance without having to push components as hard. However if the majority of your use is unloaded/unstressed with limited usage not quite near the limits of a vehicle, then the smaller engine would likely be a better bet.

jamanrr

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
and the 2wd Powerstrokes do better than the 25.6 mpgs I average since they are two wheel drive. Granted I think the only reason we have the diesel motor in the F150 right now is because Ford needed a way to increase CAFE numbers quickly or pay a government penalty which would hurt them. How many Raptor owners do you see towing around 10 thousand plus trailers or boats. I am sure they are out there but I am in a truck state and have never seen one. I realize the downsides of a Power stroke diesel motor and that is why I have the 100 thousand mile warranty so anything breaks during that period, a hundred bucks fixes it. Jeep is getting their diesel into the Wrangler, and I am thinking Ford may do the same with the new Bronco.

Trust me gas burners are a lot simpler but lucky for me I live in a gas friendly state and only pay on average 10-20 cents more per gallon for diesel fuel.

JimmyDean

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
82 Bronco, 513 ci; 71 mach 1, 351C; 06 F-250, 6.0; 56 800, 172c.i. gas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
and the 2wd Powerstrokes do better than the 25.6 mpgs I average since they are two wheel drive. Granted I think the only reason we have the diesel motor in the F150 right now is because Ford needed a way to increase CAFE numbers quickly or pay a government penalty which would hurt them. How many Raptor owners do you see towing around 10 thousand plus trailers or boats. I am sure they are out there but I am in a truck state and have never seen one. I realize the downsides of a Power stroke diesel motor and that is why I have the 100 thousand mile warranty so anything breaks during that period, a hundred bucks fixes it. Jeep is getting their diesel into the Wrangler, and I am thinking Ford may do the same with the new Bronco.

Trust me gas burners are a lot simpler but lucky for me I live in a gas friendly state and only pay on average 10-20 cents more per gallon for diesel fuel.
I would hope that they would provide a diesel option as well, but like I said, I would prefer they just throw all the options in there and let consumers pick what they want, I4, V6 gas, V6 diesel, V8 gas......v8 diesel because I need a 5000# SUV with 1100ft*lb torque...

I think I pay about 50cents more a gallon of diesel than gas, but still cheaper than premium gas, which is what I have to run in my Bronco.

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
While all this is true. There was a goal, a scalable chassis for ALL trucks to share in fords line up. From the superduty on down. I cant remember where I read this tidbit, but I did find it interesting.
It was first mentioned in an article out of Australia IIRC, but I'm not sure if it aplied to superduties, just the midsize and F150/Exp I was thinking.

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
...a V8 ... just not needed, as much as I’d like one too there’s just no practical reason ....
I seriously doubt much, if anything, about a modern American mass produced automobile is about practicality.

We don't "need" a removable top, or a V6, or any other engine with more than 100hp, air conditioning, or power windows, etc. etc. etc.

I entirely expect the Bronco to be less about practicality than average. It's going to be disproportionately marketed toward various kinds of enthusiasts and performance nuts. I sure as hell hope Ford is aiming higher than GM did with their "sexy mom car" Blazer.
Sponsored