Sponsored

2021 Bronco engines - I need at least a V6

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
So much for the BS that Ford can't / won't put a V8 in a midsize. They realized how underwhelming the 2L turbo was.

Ford [Ranger] Raptor V8 to go on sale in Oz next year
Sorry, I was told here this was never going to happen. I guess technically, it's not in the Bronco (yet).

1. As I've said before, packaging constraints is literally the reason they won't put the coyote. I don't know if you've ever looked at a coyote engine, they are absolutely fucking HUGE. if you stuffed one in a ranger engine bay it would be an absolute clusterfuck. Never going to happen.
Maybe even a Ranger Raptor Roush special..... Could be high 10's with some tuning and AWD..........

https://www.whichcar.com.au/news/ford-f-150-raptor-supercharged-v8

Last edited:

Sponsored

Jalisurr

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'09 Corvette Z06, '97 Mitsubishi Pajero Evo
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
So they are selling it with the diesel engine and then some local outfit in Australia is swapping in coyotes and you can buy it at a Ford dealer? Sort of like the Roush stuff?

I know that article claims it "will adhere to OEM durability and safety requirements and be sold through Ford dealers will full five-year warranty protection" but I'm still skeptical it would pass US crash tests. This seems like a great workaround though. Curious what the price will be compared to the base.

I've always expected that you'd be able to get a Bronco with a V8 in it eventually, just not straight from Ford. If they can work out a similar deal here where a separate company shoves the V8 into it but you can buy it from the Ford dealer, all the better.

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
So they are selling it with the diesel engine and then some local outfit in Australia is swapping in coyotes and you can buy it at a Ford dealer? Sort of like the Roush stuff?

I know that article claims it "will adhere to OEM durability and safety requirements and be sold through Ford dealers will full five-year warranty protection" but I'm still skeptical it would pass US crash tests. This seems like a great workaround though. Curious what the price will be compared to the base.

I've always expected that you'd be able to get a Bronco with a V8 in it eventually, just not straight from Ford. If they can work out a similar deal here where a separate company shoves the V8 into it but you can buy it from the Ford dealer, all the better.
Thats the way it was in the beginning........ I consider it straight from Ford, if completely sanctioned by them and sold through Ford dealers.

s-l1600.jpg

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It would let Ford meet the demands on them and maintain good 'official' numbers, while still letting consumers get what they want. It's possible that the deal in AUS it has something to do with import taxes as well, considering that the Ranger sold in Australia is actually built in Malaysia or whatever -- maybe someone from down under can explain the import arrangements.

Cost was one of the big things that popped into my mind as well. Ford builds it with a 2L and then someone rips that out and plugs a 5L in before it gets sold. That can't be cheap. Would Ford try something similar with one of the many performance or Bronco restomod type companies in the US?

mattpa

Base
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F150 XLT
Your Bronco Model
Base
It would let Ford meet the demands on them and maintain good 'official' numbers, while still letting consumers get what they want. It's possible that the deal in AUS it has something to do with import taxes as well, considering that the Ranger sold in Australia is actually built in Malaysia or whatever -- maybe someone from down under can explain the import arrangements.

Cost was one of the big things that popped into my mind as well. Ford builds it with a 2L and then someone rips that out and plugs a 5L in before it gets sold. That can't be cheap. Would Ford try something similar with one of the many performance or Bronco restomod type companies in the US?
Not from AUS, but I know their car industry died a few years ago (https://www.bbc.com/news/business-26150990), so I doubt they have crazy import taxes on vehicles. That may be putting too much faith in politicians though.

Your other points make sense. In situations like this does the aftermarket company typically buy the vehicle with an engine installed, or do they have something setup with Ford where they buy the vehicle without an engine and put whatever they want in? Seems like a lot of screwing around (and expensive) to tear an engine out to put a different one in. I'm not sure what regulations there are (if any) regarding selling a vehicle without an engine though.

Sponsored

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
... Seems like a lot of screwing around (and expensive) to tear an engine out to put a different one in. I'm not sure what regulations there are (if any) regarding selling a vehicle without an engine though.
If they can find a loophole in the regulation, they'll do it if the 'payoff' seems worth the effort.

Ford recently engaged in some "creative manufacturing" to avoid the stupid "chicken tax" on light trucks by bolting some extra seats into a 'passenger vehicle', then just removing the seat after it gets imported.

An engine swap would obviously be more elaborate and costly, but the price premium would be higher too.

JimmyDean

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
82 Bronco, 513 ci; 71 mach 1, 351C; 06 F-250, 6.0; 56 800, 172c.i. gas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Not from AUS, but I know their car industry died a few years ago (https://www.bbc.com/news/business-26150990), so I doubt they have crazy import taxes on vehicles. That may be putting too much faith in politicians though.

Your other points make sense. In situations like this does the aftermarket company typically buy the vehicle with an engine installed, or do they have something setup with Ford where they buy the vehicle without an engine and put whatever they want in? Seems like a lot of screwing around (and expensive) to tear an engine out to put a different one in. I'm not sure what regulations there are (if any) regarding selling a vehicle without an engine though.
it would typically need to be a completed vehicle if I recall correct, so engine and transmission included. But there could be some things in the contract were those are 'sold' back to Ford to use as parts/replacements for warranty work, since they could not be re-installed as new in a new car.

DrewBronc21

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Subaru STi, 2018 Camry Hybrid
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I’m Actually looking forward to it being a 2.3 or 2.7 eco boost because of the tuning potential that already exists and I’m sure will have Bronco application as well. Ecoboost mustangs gaining 100 HP with a few mods...sounds good to me.

ztobro

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler 2.0T
I’m Actually looking forward to it being a 2.3 or 2.7 eco boost because of the tuning potential that already exists and I’m sure will have Bronco application as well. Ecoboost mustangs gaining 100 HP with a few mods...sounds good to me.
Same. I get that people are bummed that a V8 isn’t looking like something that will happen but the 2.3L and 2.7L are gnarly as hell. Give me a 2.7L, some catted down pipes and a tune? Looking at an easy 80hp gain to the tire right there. Plus I’m a fan of turbo whistle so like, that’s cool too. :giggle:

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ram Rebel, '07 A4 Quattro
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Same. I get that people are bummed that a V8 isn’t looking like something that will happen but the 2.3L and 2.7L are gnarly as hell. Give me a 2.7L, some catted down pipes and a tune? Looking at an easy 80hp gain to the tire right there. Plus I’m a fan of turbo whistle so like, that’s cool too. :giggle:
Then you'll need a FMIC to keep things cool and charge pipes, which adds more ponies, then by that point a CAI might actually be necessary and either a Diverter or Blow off valve

Then you add colder Spark Plugs, maybe complete the Catback, actual throttle body, upgrade the clutch and flywheel if it's manual, and before you know it, the Budget you had for lifting and whatnot went into going st3, but now you're more power than a good 70% of everything on the road and can easily embarrass most of them off the line as well.

Then comes the Big Turbos, the injectors and next thing you know, ba-bye project tuner car... Now to work on the brakes and suspension
Sponsored