First Name
Duc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2014 Ram 1500
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
There are those in the MPG study that suggest unless otherwise necessary, you should never fill your car up past half full because the lighter weight makes a difference in your MPG enough to be noticed.
While that makes sense, I do the opposite. I'll rarely let the tank get below the halfway mark for emergency purposes. Emergency planning experts say to always have enough fuel to get you at least 100 miles. In the event of an emergency evacuation (earthquake, hurricane, man-made disaster), you will need to have enough fuel to get you out of the area.

You do not want to have to sit in potentially hours of bumper to bumper traffic riding on fumes. If you do run out of gas you not only affect your vehicle, but now you're a choke point for everyone else behind you trying to get out. If you try to refuel when the evacuation is announced you'll be sitting in line at the gas station with thousands of other people as well. That gas supply is not infinite if the pumps are even operational.

Just food for thought.
Sponsored

RockEye

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Subaru WRX STI, 2DR Badlands Reservation
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

While that makes sense, I do the opposite. I'll rarely let the tank get below the halfway mark for emergency purposes. Emergency planning experts say to always have enough fuel to get you at least 100 miles. In the event of an emergency evacuation (earthquake, hurricane, man-made disaster), you will need to have enough fuel to get you out of the area.

You do not want to have to sit in potentially hours of bumper to bumper traffic riding on fumes. If you do run out of gas you not only affect your vehicle, but now you're a choke point for everyone else behind you trying to get out. If you try to refuel when the evacuation is announced you'll be sitting in line at the gas station with thousands of other people as well. That gas supply is not infinite if the pumps are even operational.

Just food for thought.
True but most of us don't live in the US's version of Australia. :)

But I certainly see the point situationally.

Wanted33

Outer Banks
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2019 Wrangler, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

My Mustang's 2.3 gets 15mpg, this will be much worse

Ouch, my brides Mustang 5.0L get better than that. Have you weighed your right foot lately? ;):ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

PELS82

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NA
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Im keeping my civic to drive to the office most days out of the week. That gets 36mpg so im not worried about mpg for me. Im expecting the 2.7 to get about 17 on the highway

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 F-150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
And yet my 2007 5.4 liter F-150ā€™s highway mpg is hardly affected by seasonal temps and gas. It has a diablosport tune which I presume is milder than livernois

Sponsored

Lee Woiteshek

Badlands
First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Toyota Matrix
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
With the Squatch package, (front and rear lockers, 35's) I expect mileage to be dismal. I had hoped for a bigger tank.

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I always thought Ford put all their eggs in the EcoBoost basket because they could get good power and better gas mileage than anything else but everything runs about 20 mpg normally aspirated and more CID. Heck my work Chevy 5.3 got 20 mpg, was simple and ran like a scalded dog, it could screech the tires in 4 out of 5 gears! But I'm a Ford, and especially Bronco, guy so Yea 2.3 EB!;)

NCOBX

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
H2 Hummer, Holden Commodore
Your Bronco Model
Base
With the Squatch package, (front and rear lockers, 35's) I expect mileage to be dismal. I had hoped for a bigger tank.
With 4.70s and 35s it should be fine.

I have an H2 on 37x12.5 with 4.56 gearing which of course if full time 4wd, weighs 7,000lbs as it sits and I get 12.5-13.5MPG. Once I get it tuned I expect better.

I expect with the tiny engine, lightweight nature, being able to drive in 2wd mode, and have a gearing advantage with more transmission ratios the Sasquatch should easily do 18+ if not even 20+.

Gearing has a lot to do with MPg and both the 10 and 7 speed have good overdrives.

I wouldnā€™t worry about gas mileage in the slightest.

Lee Woiteshek

Badlands
First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Toyota Matrix
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I hope your right. I'm in for a BadSquatch and will be dancing in the streets if I pull 20 mpg per tank. Hell, I'd be happy with 18 mpg.

NCOBX

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
H2 Hummer, Holden Commodore
Your Bronco Model
Base
I hope your right. I'm in for a BadSquatch and will be dancing in the streets if I pull 20 mpg per tank. Hell, I'd be happy with 18 mpg.
I would imagine most of the Jeeps getting 10-12 are improperly geared.
4.70 gears with 35s will get significantly better MPG than 3.73 with 35s.

Sponsored

gsides1

Black Diamond
First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Hmm that tank size in the two door isnā€™t ideal. Going to be hard getting used to filling up more than once every two weeks like on my F-150 with the 36 gallon extended range tank.
As long as the 2 dr (with either engine) does better mpg-wise than the 2017 Wrangler I had did, Iā€™ll be okay. The Willys-Wheeler ran 32s which is what the Black Diamond will have (I think). And those are fine with me. I traded the Jeep last year for a Honda Civic (stop laughing) for the mpg - the Jeep was killing me. Iā€™m hoping the Bronco mpg will split the difference between the Jeep and the Honda.

gsides1

Black Diamond
First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
My wifeā€™s 14 wrangler sport was a 12-14 on the highway at best. Hope us Ford folks donā€™t morph into Jeep folks when they add 35 inch tires and all kinds of accessories and then wonder why their fuel economy has tanked. Smiles per gallon, folks, not miles per gallon.
Best I ever got with a 2017 Wrangler Willys Wheeler was 15 on the highway. I didnā€™t do any mods at all and it came with 32s from the factory. So Iā€™m guessing a 2door Bronco with either engine has got to do better than 15 mpg, right?

Zero_chance

Badlands
First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.southvalleymustang.com
Vehicle(s)
17 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Best I ever got with a 2017 Wrangler Willys Wheeler was 15 on the highway. I didnā€™t do any mods at all and it came with 32s from the factory. So Iā€™m guessing a 2door Bronco with either engine has got to do better than 15 mpg, right?
I would think so given the better efficiency of the power train versus what Jeep has. End of the day though; itā€™s still a heavy rig shaped like a loaf of bread, so When we start adding lift and 35s...

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

There are those in the MPG study that suggest unless otherwise necessary, you should never fill your car up past half full because the lighter weight makes a difference in your MPG enough to be noticed.

In that case, give me a 40 gallon tank.

PavementQueen

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I currently have a 2018 jku willys and after owning a 2015 sport with rubi wheel tire takeoffs theyre about the same. I had max towing on the sport so both have 3.73s. But I get consistently between 19 and 20. Usually 19.5 to 19.8. I can get above 21 if Iā€™m in a blizzard doing 40, in 4wd. But sheā€™s a pavement princess, constantly going 60-75mph.
Sponsored