Reaction score
Website
www.serramonteford.com
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ford Bronco Big Bend, '03 BMW Z4
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

So if I am not towing can I load bronco up to 8000 lbs then how do I calculate gwvr
I would expect it to be in the same ballpark as a Wrangler (Unlimited is 5800 GVWR)

Based on this...figure 4dr BL, 2.7, hardtop, lux will be around 5300lb curb weight and with my 3,395lb offroad camper, 2 adults (300lb total), 2 dogs (140lb total), I’ll be 295lbs over the GVWR. Complete BS. It states max tow rating is with driver/passenger both weighing 150lbs and varies based on configuration.

So I want to know what 4dr trim with the 2.7 gets you that max 3,500 towing, because the way I see it is if the 4dr BL w/ 2.7 comes in at lets say 5200lb curb weight with soft top and standard package, add driver/passenger 300lbs, that takes you to 5500lbs and tow rating of only 3,340lbs.
You're confusing curb weight with GVWR. I wouldn't expect the Bronco to weigh 5300 lbs when a comparable Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited is about 4500 lbs curb weight.

This is consistent with Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited: 5800# GVWR, 3500# Max towing 8117# GCWR Payload of 1351. In your scenario the Wrangler is also over weight. As it sits, it's max towing is actually over the GCWR.

5800-1351=4449# Curb Weight
4449+3500=7949
*People/Dogs=440#
7949+440=8389
8389-8117=272# over GVWR.
*accidentally double counted the tongue weight in the GCWR calculation, corrected now.
Sponsored

jeep364

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Jeep WK
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Isnt this good news? Everyone was thinking the GVWR was like 7,000 lbs to match the wrangler class. People were freaking out on whether they could even load up the cargo hold and add a roof box for a family of four on a badlands.
Gvwr is not the same as gcwr...

vrtical

Raptor
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

IMPRESSIVE! .... why does the Bronco with the same engine and same trany dip down to 3500 lbs?!
whats more interesting is the new Ranger Tremor package will basically give it about the same suspension and I bet the tow specs dont change, so it comes down to the Bronco has rollover weight risk.

BroncoJones

Badlands
First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'02 Yukon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

whats more interesting is the new Ranger Tremor package will basically give it about the same suspension and I bet the tow specs dont change, so it comes down to the Bronco has rollover weight risk.

I think max tow for the tremor drops to 7200 lbs. Still pretty good. Also the ranger runs a leaf spring setup(Tremor adds a 2nd leaf) in the rear which is probably part of the reason it can tow as much as it does.

Pocobronco87

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RAV4 2001
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So how much does a 2 door squached bronco badlands 2.7 auto weigh ?

Sponsored

LarryZiegler

Outer Banks
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
2 Adults-300lbs? Yeah, if they're 18! I haven't weighed 150 since I was 19 or so, and I'm average build now. These numbers are for lawyers and nothing else. That'll go in the circular file as soon as I drive it off the lot.
The circular file is now outdated.....a rectangular file w/teeth is the modern solution. ?

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

2 Adults-300lbs? Yeah, if they're 18! I haven't weighed 150 since I was 19 or so, and I'm average build now. These numbers are for lawyers and nothing else. That'll go in the circular file as soon as I drive it off the lot.
My wife and I are "average" and we weigh under 300lbs combined, though I'm guessing the fact I'm 5'8" and she's 5'5" play a role in that.

;)

Broncoak

Badlands
First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 FSB
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My wife and I are "average" and we weigh under 300lbs combined, though I'm guessing the fact I'm 5'8" and she's 5'5" play a role in that.

;)
Uhhhh, I think you just called me fat ? ?. Maybe I'm pushing the concept of average just a bit;)

MattECDNdealer

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Demo: 21 Bronco BL (2dr 2.3 MT) Toy: 04 TJ Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
On the same token, a Jeep gladiator built off the Wrangler platform can tow 7,000 lbs in the rubicon trim. I expected the Bronco to beat Wrangler at their own game and up the towing capacity as well considering it was built off of the Ranger.
People need to stop saying same "platform" like the only thing changed is what is above the frame. The differences between the Ranger/Bronco suspension are vast. The characteristics of leafs VS. coil/multilink are like night and day.

Even the Gladiator/Wrangler that both use coils have different frames and rear suspension components that make the GVWR and towing capabilities vastly different between the two. Some are pointed out here:

https://jalopnik.com/heres-a-close-look-at-some-of-the-2020-jeep-gladiators-1830765350

Sponsored

Tilzbow

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GM Sierra Diesel Pick Up
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sort of unrelated to towing a trailer, but nice to see confirmation of "four-down" flat tow capability on both transmissions, especially given some of the most recent talk from the allegedly well-trained reps suggested otherwise.
Where are you seeing the flat towing transmission confirmation?

etmccaus86

Base
First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BaseSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Where are you seeing the flat towing transmission confirmation?
If you haven't, go open the PDF that was linked to by OP.

Page 14; first line of the fourth table.

Tilzbow

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GM Sierra Diesel Pick Up
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If you haven't, go open the PDF that was linked to by OP.

Page 14; first line of the fourth table.
Thanks, I opened the doc but completely missed that page during my 15 second scroll through the entire thing.

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I completely get that and have gone through this quite a bit in the towing forum, but I easily would be willing to compromise some articulation and suspension travel for a max tow package if it could hit 4,500 to 5,000 range in a heartbeat.

I find it interesting a 2 door Bronco can tow as much as a 4 door Wrangler (there goes the wheelbase theory). On the same token, a Jeep gladiator built off the Wrangler platform can tow 7,000 lbs in the rubicon trim. I expected the Bronco to beat Wrangler at their own game and up the towing capacity as well considering it was built off of the Ranger.

A two door Jeep LJ can tow 3500 lbs too. The wheelbase is 13" shorter than a JKU. FJ = 4700 with 11' less wheelbase than a JKU. Also, (I know the suspension is different) the specs for the Defender are unclear / maybe the same for two and four, maybe be slightly less.

The Gladiator rear axle is a RAM setup instead of the Wrangler setup - that is the difference that doubles the capacity.

In my view, the coilovers are cool, but they limit the towing capability in a way that you can't temporarily increase it (via airspring helpers), and you can't permanently increase it without a harsher ride from a heavier spring.

Agreed a utility version with a rear suspension setup for a little less offroad articulation with more towing capacity would be awesome.

Since the both the four door and two door we have pictures of towing have the Bilsteins, I wonder what the engineers are thinking on this.
Sponsored