Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R, VW Atlas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I really wish they could expand on the MY22 roof rack issue as I'm struggling to understand how it could get around GVWR beyond just being lighter... I mean how much weight could they actually shave off it if it's weight related?

If it's mount related and something they change on the Bronco itself (as opposed to the rack), then I might be waiting for MY22...

Also, they only mentioned the MY22 solution in relation to SAS compatibility so I'm wondering if it applies to the 2.7L as well or even SAS + 2.7L.
Sponsored

NotApplicable

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BEVs
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I guess it is whatever Ford expects will be the common options (found on at least 33 percent of the vehicles). It looks like the Sasquatch package adds about 190 pounds in the case of the Base/Big Bend and Outer Banks models. Less for the BD and BL.

It is important to note that Ford derives these calculations for Bronco using an SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) standard which provides a level playing field. The SAE standard, “Performance Requirements for Determining Tow-Vehicle Gross Combination Weight Rating and Trailer Weight Rating,” is known as J2807.

For example, SAE J2807 requires the manufacturer to use a vehicle equipped with options found on at least 33 percent of the vehicles produced for that model. It also factors in the equivalent of a 150-pound driver and passenger and a full tank of fuel.
Curb weight with options is the Max curb weight of the trim with every available option. SAE J2807 and it’s formulas are unrelated to this.

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Kia Borrego, 2012 Chevy Cruze, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

everything i am reading in posts says 10% tongue weight, no?

A3220 lb trailer would be 320lb tongue weight

if GVWR is 6180
6180 - 320tw - 5117cw = 743 llbs

BUT GCWR is 8840 so if you tried to hook. up a 3200lb trailer
to a fully weighted down truck at 6180lbs you'd be screwed, you'd really only have enough for 2660lbs, (8840 -6180) probably not even that because the tongue weight would put you over GVWR

CurbWeight + Tongue Weight must be less than GVWR
and Curb Weight + Tow Weight must be under GCWR

8840 - 3220 - leaves 5620 for max vehicle weight
5620 - 320 tongue weight - 5117 curb weight leaves 183 lbs left for a driver
seems about right to me
I meant the 30lb difference between the tongue weight of a 3220lb trailer and a 3500lb trailer

Parker

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gr Che Overland, Corvette, Tahoe, 46 Chevy 2ton
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
is that alot? Im speaking from complete inexperience. i just want to know if i will be able to overland with this car. what are the payloads on other overlanding vehicles?
These are factored for highway speeds - a big deal.
Overlanding you are not going to exceed city driving speeds, so if you wait (for insurance / lawyer reasons) to take on heavy fluids, extra gas @ 6 lbs. per gallon + container, lots of water @ 8 lbs. per gal.+ container, ice, beer, etc. until you are off the highway you will be fine as long as you do not brag about possibly being overweight (no scale at trail head) on the internet - and you will get lighter as you go.
Speed kills, they might calculate for a legal 80 mph interstate run - it is a certainty that Ford covers their butt.

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Even if you don't count tongue weight twice, it still would contribute to GVWR, no?
Yes tongue weight is carried by the vehicle, so it counts towards your GVWR.

Sponsored

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

alexraw

Outer Banks
First Name
alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I am bit confused on why we can not order a squatch with a roof rack for 2021 but in 2022 you can? Is it because it is a late availability accessory or is something changing on the roof rack?

Mainerunr

Wildtrak
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 F150
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Even if you don't count tongue weight twice, it still would contribute to GVWR, no?
Yes, it counts toward GVWR but it does not count twice toward GCWR which you did.

Your way will work because it's under all the limits but you're leaving a lot (in this example, 320lb) on the table.

Unhooked trailer - 3220, Tow rig without trailer - 5620, combined weight 8840 (and since curb weight is 5117, you have 503lb available payload)

Hook it up and weigh them (assuming 10% tongue weight), trailer now 2900, tow rig now 5940 combined still 8840

Since GVWR is above 5940, good to go. If GVWR was lower, say 5800lb, you would have to be below 5480 before hooking up the trailer which would mean 5480-5117=363lb available payload.

FLSTFI Dave

Raptor
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Grand Sport, Carbon 65, 2017 F-150
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Hard to believe they are serious on a Badlands 4 door with the 2.7 and Sasquatch you can not get sound deadening for your hard top. Seriously, on a 59K vehicle. Pushing me more to the two door. Even with the 2 door you cant get the winch. Yet this is suppose to be the most capable off road version. seems you would want a winch on this. Decisions Decisions. 7/15 reservation, will wait till end of Feb to order, see if any more clarification.

den_jkur

First Edition
First Name
Deepu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JKUR
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Same for me. I want Sasquatch but no roof rack available. Might force me to get a BL with stock 33 tires. Aftermarket may take months to have a good solution. I need to use the rack right away since I plan on camping all summer and I have a RTT.
That was my initial thought too and is planning to use an RTT. Couple of things, the Yakima rack probably wont support most of the RTT weight. Also for after market racks probably wont be available from Rhino etc. at least till mid 2022. It took them several years to come up with the JL rack. Bronco has existing mounting points which could make it easier maybe?

I just dont understand what they will do in 2022 to support a higher load on the roof for Sasq.

Sponsored

GABronc

First Edition
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 Lariat
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
So if I am understanding this correctly. A 4500 lb boat is good right? ?

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

So if I am understanding this correctly. A 4500 lb boat is good right? ?
I guess that depends on your definition of "good"! ?

Brad Fx

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Commander
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
MY21 roof rack is 110# so you get the same :)
The roof rack supports 110 lbs or it is 110 lbs? I guess the former since 110 is the max roof weight while traveling?

Brad Fx

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Commander
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yep, surprisingly high curb weight. 2021 4Runner 4WD is 4700lbs curb weight with apx 1600lb payload, 6300lb GVWR. But, the Bronco is adequate after seeing these specs, the 400lbs curb weight difference for the 4dr 2.7l compared to a 4Runner cuts deep into payload. A 4WD 4Runner is kinda sorta competition for the 4dr Bronco to me (own a 2008 V8 4WD 4Runner).

Slap stiffer HD aftermarket rear springs on the Bronco and I figure I would be good for extra payload. It's as common as weeds in your lawn to beef up factory springs on trucks, the axle and drivetrain can handle it.
I am bit confused on why we can not order a squatch with a roof rack for 2021 but in 2022 you can? Is it because it is a late availability accessory or is something changing on the roof rack?
Not just Sasquatch that cannot get roof rails, e.g., Adding the 2.7 to the Badlands (no SAS) also drops the roof rails. I’m really confused too and pissed off that I have to spend time thinking about this. BL - Most capable version can’t get a roof rack or headliner. I know everyone says add it later, but Ford clearly doesn’t want us to and I have not seen a Ford official reason as to why.

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The roof rack supports 110 lbs or it is 110 lbs? I guess the former since 110 is the max roof weight while traveling?
Supports.

110lb dynamic load rating.

The rack isn’t that heavy. You can see them remove it in the 2-door hardtop video.
Sponsored