Lab00Rat

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BL 2-Door, 2021 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
All I can say form this confusing explanation on weight calculations is that my Badlands is less than 5k lbs, which is motorhome towing friendly.

How is curb weight calculated? It was not specified IF factory options are added to the curb weight sticker because they are weight that's considered at the time of manufacture.

So if I get the 33% of the most popular items, is that not added to the curb weight?

If I get what I really want (everything) from the factory options, will that be on the sticker forever? - even if I remove them for a lighter option? (Hard top vs Soft Top argument)
Sponsored

boxwood

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
EV
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

It will likely just be the hitch. No wiring.
You lose the factory wiring. The accessory hitch probably doesn't come with a 4 or 7-pin connector. It's not hard to add if you're comfortable working on your own vehicle.

@pan-y-cerveza beat me to it lol
That makes some sense... But the doc shows it is capable, if it is capable, why is it excluded? Is it because it is just slightly less capable and putting it under a specific threshold? If so what is the threshold?

If I want a FE with max payload of 824lbs, so be it. I'll take off the brush guard and feel safer.

There is less than 100# difference between Badlands and FE

The FE can even tow more with the accessory hitch than the BL with tow package.

Is it just because a 3240# trailer tongue weight nets the max payload too low
(924-324 = net 600lb remaining payload?)

Never mind there is seemingly no reason to not offer tow package on Base short of pushing people to hire trims.

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Kia Borrego, 2012 Chevy Cruze, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

So I am still a bit confused on this GVWR stuff. Can anyone help me out? I am planning to order a 4-door BD with sasquatch, tow package, mid package and mic top. I am trying to determine how much I am left with for payload and for towing I wanted to be able to pull a jetski.
You have to satisfy both GCWR and GVWR, and which one governs depends on how much you're towing. This is assuming you're trying to stay legal of course.

For your example I'm going to assume that you are at the max curb weight for 2.3L auto as listed in the spec sheets: CW=5105lbs, GVWR=6040lbs, TC=3500lbs, GCWR=8780lbs

At 3500lbs towed, 8780-5105-3500=175lbs available payload. This is governed by GCWR since you're at your max tow cap, but you can double-check GVWR too. Assuming 10% tongue weight, 5105+350+175=5630lbs < 6040lbs so you're okay.

At 3000lbs towed, 8780-5105-3000=675lbs available payload based on GCWR, but let's check GVWR. 5105+300+675=6080lbs > 6040lbs so you're over on your GVWR by 40lbs. By inspection the available payload will be 675-40=635lbs, but the actual equation is 6040-5105-300=635lbs.

Knowing that GCWR governs at a little over 3000lbs towed weight, the available payload above 3000lbs towed is calculated using the GCWR equation, and below is calculated using the GVWR equation. Punch in the weight of your jetskis on their trailer and you'll get your availabke payload. If someone with excel skills (@jaruss01) feels like it, they could graph these towed weight and payload gainst each other using both equations, and then cut off each at the max GCWR and GVWR.

Last edited:

Squatch

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
That makes some sense... But the doc shows it is capable, if it is capable, why is it excluded? Is it because it is just slightly less capable and putting it under a specific threshold? If so what is the threshold?

If I want a FE with max payload of 824lbs, so be it. I'll take off the brush guard and feel safer.

There is less than 100# difference between Badlands and FE

The FE can even tow more with the accessory hitch than the BL with tow package.

Is it just because a 3240# trailer tongue weight nets the max payload too low
(924-324 = net 600lb remaining payload?)

Never mind there is seemingly no reason to not offer tow package on Base short of pushing people to hire trims.
Pretty much.
5 people x 150lbs each = 750lbs > 600

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Kia Borrego, 2012 Chevy Cruze, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Can someone explain the Max towing capacity for the BD 2.7 Auto at 3440? I was always under the impression that towing capacity was GCWR-Curb Weight. Using the max curb weight they provided.

8840-5279 = 3561 ??

This is slightly higher than the listed 3,440. What am I missing?
They have to include an amount for the driver as payload, and I'm pretty sure that Ford includes a passenger as well for 300lbs total payload. Now why doesn't their GCWR allow for 3500lbs towed weight with that 300lbs? Not sure, and it technically short-changes people who don't have a max curb weight vehicle.

Sponsored

Lowcountry Bronco

Heritage
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger and Toyota FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

is that alot? Im speaking from complete inexperience. i just want to know if i will be able to overland with this car. what are the payloads on other overlanding vehicles?
Remember back in the day when you got 2 free bags on the airlines? Those were limited to 50 pounds or you were charged so that's a good example. With camping gear, don't know the weights but if you have a scale at home let would be easy enough to calculate.

Toccoa

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Isuzu Rodeo Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
This is really well written and does a great job of explaining the differences. Thanks!

vrtical

Raptor
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Remember back in the day when you got 2 free bags on the airlines? Those were limited to 50 pounds or you were charged so that's a good example. With camping gear, don't know the weights but if you have a scale at home let would be easy enough to calculate.
MY21 roof rack is 110# so you get the same :)

Sponsored

Skmac

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Outback, Jaguar F-TYPE
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Canyonero02

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford F150, 2021 Jeep JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I plan to mostly be using this for overlanding and this is a little concerning. I think many of the rooftop tents are over 110lbs.
This weight rating is with the Ford factory roof rails. If I were loading up my rig with a roof top tent and other gear I would wait and see what the aftermarket comes out with. All the weight is on the A pillar/windshield and the actual hard top. Not the most stout set up. If you look at what's currently offered in the aftermarket for the Wrangler, most roof racks bolt through the top directly to the roll bar.

Thomas1984

Badlands
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Viper
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

GVWR QA.png

View attachment 78360

Accompanying article:

Today Ford released the highly anticipated gross vehicle weight ratings for the upcoming 2021 Bronco. The data table provided by Ford (link) addresses some of the questions posed by reservation holders and enthusiasts over the last several weeks.

It is important to note that Ford derives these calculations for Bronco using an SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) standard which provides a level playing field. Theā€ÆSAEā€Æstandard, ā€œPerformance Requirements for Determining Tow-Vehicle Gross Combination Weight Rating and Trailer Weight Rating,ā€ is known asā€ÆJ2807.

For example, SAE J2807 requires the manufacturer to use a vehicle equipped with options found on at least 33 percent of the vehicles produced for that model. It also factors in the equivalent of a 150-pound driver and passenger and a full tank of fuel.

When looking at the 2021 Jeep Wrangler Product Information available from FCA, you will see in the fine print, that Wranglerā€™s towing capacities are not derived using J2807. One obvious example is the use of one 150-pound passenger instead of two underscoring the difference in approach.

screen-shot-2021-01-13-at-4-10-45-pm-jpg.jpg

Letā€™s look at a realā€“life example to further illustrate. You and your family are going camping in your 4-Door Black Diamond Bronco. Assuming you are a 200 lb. driver, with a 130 lb. spouse, and two kids with a combined weight of 170 lbs, thatā€™s a total of 500 lbs. Lets add in another 150 lbs. of luggage and gear along with a trendy 50 lbs, Yeti cooler you are now at 700 of your 1,161 leaving you a margin of 461 lbs.

Keep in mind that each modification like a light bar, bike rack, or roof top carrier, or added cargo eats away at your payload margin if it falls below the threshold of being a popular option on 33% or more of the models. If you are pulling a trailer, the tongue weight of the trailer is also added to this calculation. Typically, a good rule of thumb is 10% of the trailer weight is the approximate tongue (e.g. trailer hitch) weight. When properly equipped, a Bronco can two up to 3500 lbs, or 350 lbs of tongue weight reducing your 461 lbs to 111 lbs.

While these calculations done at home before your adventure are not particularly challenging, the math for manufactures is far more complex which ignited the debate online when Ford gave customers access to Build and Price.

It is important to keep in mind that when Ford calculates max payload, they have to account for the full capacity of the vehicle. This includes up to 4 passengers at 150 lbs for a 2 door and five passengers and their cargo (77 lbs), plus factory options. Unfortunately, most build and price sites lack the dynamic ability to account for each of these variables in real-time. For instance in the build and price tool Ford does not know how many passengers youā€™ll be carrying so it assumes the maximum and subtracts this from the GVWR.

BRONCO VS. WRANGLER

For comparison, the 2021 Jeep Wrangler max payload for 4-door models ranges from 1,136 (Sport 3.0L Diesel) -1,351 lbs (3.6L Manual) ā€“ depending on configuration ā€“ while the Bronco ranges from 924 lbs (First Edition) ā€“ 1,452 lbs (Big Bend 2.3L Manual). Please keep in mind that these numbers are driven by how the vehicle is equipped. More standard equipment, the higher the curb weight.

DETAILED DESCRIPTIONS:
Below are definitions and descriptions for some of these important calculations. Weā€™ve also provided a link to all the data by series and will be providing towing details in an upcoming article.​
Gross Vehicle Weight (GVW) is the Base Curb Weight plus actual Cargo Weight plus passengers. It is important to remember that GVW is not a limit or specification ā€“ it is the actual weight that is obtained when the fully-loaded vehicle is driven onto a scale.​
Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) is the maximum allowable weight of the fully-loaded vehicle (including passengers and cargo). This number ā€“ along with other weight limits, as well as tire, rim size and inflation pressure data ā€“ is shown on the vehicleā€™s Safety Compliance Certification Label, located on the left front door lock facing or the door latch post pillar. The GVW must never exceed the GVWR.​
Gross Axle Weight (GAW) is the total weight placed on each axle (front and rear). To determine the Gross Axle Weights for your vehicle and trailer combination, take your loaded vehicle and trailer to a scale. With the trailer attached, place the front wheels of the vehicle on the scale to get the front GAW. For rear GAW, weigh the towing vehicle with trailer attached, but with just the four wheels of the vehicle on the scale. Subtracting front GAW from that amount gives you rear GAW.​
Gross Axle Weight Rating (GAWR) is the maximum weight to be carried by a single axle (front or rear). These numbers are also shown on the Safety Compliance Certification Label. The total load on each axle must never exceed its GAWR.​
When I went to submit my build order to the dealer last week, I couldnā€™t add the roof rack to my 4 door, badlands/2.7/auto, non Sasquatch, can I order it after delivery? do anyone know why?

privateer35

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco 2021
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

At the end of the day these are all just suggestions.... right? Like we're sure we can load way more than what Ford is suggesting, just drive more carefully? How does current Jeep owners get around it?

JTBros

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GR Corolla
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Not going to register it as a Ford Fiesta - Bronco Trim Level?
When campus PD gave me 2 parking tickets separate times they didnā€™t know what the car was since it only has the ST badge on the back. One ticket said Explorer Sport Track and the other said Mercury Mountaineer.

Maybe if they come out with a Bronco ST I can get away with it ?
Sponsored