Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23, 69 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Ford will not offer a towing package on Base or FE but they condone buying a hitch and explicitly state towing ratings? That is odd.
Sponsored

MotoCeptorMan

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Mustang, 2013 Ram, 2003 Jeep Liberty 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

GVWR QA.png

View attachment 78360

Accompanying article:

Today Ford released the highly anticipated gross vehicle weight ratings for the upcoming 2021 Bronco. The data table provided by Ford (link) addresses some of the questions posed by reservation holders and enthusiasts over the last several weeks.

It is important to note that Ford derives these calculations for Bronco using an SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) standard which provides a level playing field. The SAE standard, “Performance Requirements for Determining Tow-Vehicle Gross Combination Weight Rating and Trailer Weight Rating,” is known as J2807.

For example, SAE J2807 requires the manufacturer to use a vehicle equipped with options found on at least 33 percent of the vehicles produced for that model. It also factors in the equivalent of a 150-pound driver and passenger and a full tank of fuel.

When looking at the 2021 Jeep Wrangler Product Information available from FCA, you will see in the fine print, that Wrangler’s towing capacities are not derived using J2807. One obvious example is the use of one 150-pound passenger instead of two underscoring the difference in approach.

screen-shot-2021-01-13-at-4-10-45-pm-jpg.jpg

Let’s look at a real–life example to further illustrate. You and your family are going camping in your 4-Door Black Diamond Bronco. Assuming you are a 200 lb. driver, with a 130 lb. spouse, and two kids with a combined weight of 170 lbs, that’s a total of 500 lbs. Lets add in another 150 lbs. of luggage and gear along with a trendy 50 lbs, Yeti cooler you are now at 700 of your 1,161 leaving you a margin of 461 lbs.

Keep in mind that each modification like a light bar, bike rack, or roof top carrier, or added cargo eats away at your payload margin if it falls below the threshold of being a popular option on 33% or more of the models. If you are pulling a trailer, the tongue weight of the trailer is also added to this calculation. Typically, a good rule of thumb is 10% of the trailer weight is the approximate tongue (e.g. trailer hitch) weight. When properly equipped, a Bronco can two up to 3500 lbs, or 350 lbs of tongue weight reducing your 461 lbs to 111 lbs.

While these calculations done at home before your adventure are not particularly challenging, the math for manufactures is far more complex which ignited the debate online when Ford gave customers access to Build and Price.

It is important to keep in mind that when Ford calculates max payload, they have to account for the full capacity of the vehicle. This includes up to 4 passengers at 150 lbs for a 2 door and five passengers and their cargo (77 lbs), plus factory options. Unfortunately, most build and price sites lack the dynamic ability to account for each of these variables in real-time. For instance in the build and price tool Ford does not know how many passengers you’ll be carrying so it assumes the maximum and subtracts this from the GVWR.

BRONCO VS. WRANGLER

For comparison, the 2021 Jeep Wrangler max payload for 4-door models ranges from 1,136 (Sport 3.0L Diesel) -1,351 lbs (3.6L Manual) – depending on configuration – while the Bronco ranges from 924 lbs (First Edition) – 1,452 lbs (Big Bend 2.3L Manual). Please keep in mind that these numbers are driven by how the vehicle is equipped. More standard equipment, the higher the curb weight.

DETAILED DESCRIPTIONS:
Below are definitions and descriptions for some of these important calculations. We’ve also provided a link to all the data by series and will be providing towing details in an upcoming article.​
Gross Vehicle Weight (GVW) is the Base Curb Weight plus actual Cargo Weight plus passengers. It is important to remember that GVW is not a limit or specification – it is the actual weight that is obtained when the fully-loaded vehicle is driven onto a scale.​
Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) is the maximum allowable weight of the fully-loaded vehicle (including passengers and cargo). This number – along with other weight limits, as well as tire, rim size and inflation pressure data – is shown on the vehicle’s Safety Compliance Certification Label, located on the left front door lock facing or the door latch post pillar. The GVW must never exceed the GVWR.​
Gross Axle Weight (GAW) is the total weight placed on each axle (front and rear). To determine the Gross Axle Weights for your vehicle and trailer combination, take your loaded vehicle and trailer to a scale. With the trailer attached, place the front wheels of the vehicle on the scale to get the front GAW. For rear GAW, weigh the towing vehicle with trailer attached, but with just the four wheels of the vehicle on the scale. Subtracting front GAW from that amount gives you rear GAW.​
Gross Axle Weight Rating (GAWR) is the maximum weight to be carried by a single axle (front or rear). These numbers are also shown on the Safety Compliance Certification Label. The total load on each axle must never exceed its GAWR.​
This is great. Thanks.

broncosor

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

broncosor

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
is that alot? Im speaking from complete inexperience. i just want to know if i will be able to overland with this car. what are the payloads on other overlanding vehicles?
Overland vehicles have in general 1500+ payload. That's very little payload. If you overland with just one person with light gear it's enough though. If you start to add steel everywhere, winch, etc well you are screwed.

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Kia Borrego, 2012 Chevy Cruze, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I love the way no one ever mentions fuel. Can't see it, it's not there.... As long as they don't start flying airplanes we'll be allright.
I am 99% sure that curb weight includes all required fluids.

Sponsored

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

@2Jeeps&PatriotX1 you're looking at 3220lb TC. The numbers didn't add up to even 3500lbs as you feared.

hozer

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suburban
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

So taking max payload of 2.7 BD of 1160

Less Sasquatch Weight 188lbs
Less 125 lbs of fuel
Less a max tow weight trailer of 3500lbs ~350lbs of tounge weight
Less 2 175lb passengers

That's 147lbs 275lbs left with no gear and 0 other options lol. Gonna be lots of these rolling over GVWR

Edit: 275lbs not bad should not be an issue for most

Last edited:

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Fluids yes, fuel no
Fuel isn't a fluid required for your vehicle to operate? Maybe I'm taking things a bit too literally, although I did ignore the weight of air...

Edit: It most definitely is. See the 2021 Ford Towing Guide or my screenshot from it here.

Screenshot_20210113-220404_Drive.jpg

Last edited:

hozer

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suburban
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Fuel isn't a fluid required for your vehicle to operate? Maybe I'm taking things a bit too literally, although I did ignore the weight of air...
Last time I had to care about curb weights it was with enough fuel to run, but no more.

Had to google curb weight at least in Canada is indeed specified at full tank. My bad

Sponsored

Paul Gagnon

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'79 Mustang, '92 Explorer, '10 F-350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I’m happy with those numbers.

jaruss01

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XC90 T6 R-Design / 2020 S60 T6 AWD
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Some of you are thinking about this the wrong way

do NOT take max payload and start deducting things such as sas and 2.7 etc as others recommended. Because you’re likely forgetting about different option available that you’re not getting. Honestly take that max payload number and throw it away. Pretend it’s not even there.

you want to gauge where you fall between min and max curb weight for your trim. If you have a more built up vehicle then start deducting from the max curb weight. You do this by determining what options you are NOT getting. And those have to be Ford installed options not DIO accessories. To do this you need to know what’s locked out on BnP as well for your build.

For example, OBX lux sas 2.7. What am I not getting that’s still available in BnP that is not locked out has material weight? Front steel bumper and rock rails. So that’s an additional say 100 lbs over plastic parts. 5179 less 100 = 5078. Based on my estimations last week, I had 5093 (so happy about that).Anyway, GVWR of 6100 less 5078 = 1022 payload

Alternatively if you have a model less built up start with the min curb weight and add back. Then determine the difference compared to GVWR.

Tazn69Bronco

Wildtrak
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford F-250, 1969 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Where is 4 door Wildtrak?
I was going to ask that as well!

I for one have never had to be this careful with weight on a vehicle since leaving my big rig behind. All of my personal vehicles have been able to carry more than I will ever throw at them even if the whole family is with me. I agree with some that it is a heavy vehicle, but feel that somehow they could have beefed it up a bit more without sacrificing too much of what we see. I'm not asking to tow 5k or have 2k worth of stuff on my rig, but maybe the margin to do something close at least . I would probably never come close to such numbers, but thats why we dream big I guess?

Doing the things I've done in my life I know 500lbs adds up quick. Could care less about the towing. Small rig usually means small trailer if at all. What this does mean is I will have to be picky and choosy as to what is bolted to my rig as well as what I carry. Just my 2c if it matters.