Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Sorry if this has been asked already:

Was wondering if the restrictions on factory installed accessories like the Paint Protection or the Hardtop Headliner on 4-door Badlands 2.7 builds are due to GVWR limitations? Not sure how much Hardtop Headliner weighs, but Paint Protection film does not weigh much. Just wondering if anyone had any insight here
Sponsored

BroncoBuckaroo

Badlands
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017GT350-SOLD, 2013 Ford Edge, 1969 Torino Cobra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This is exactly what i am wanting to know. Did I miss it? Should we assume it is the same as another one, FE, BL?
This is for 2021 models..they decided that Wildtrak won't be available till 2022..ha ha ..joking

Rivers90

Base
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
xterra mx5
Your Bronco Model
Base
It is about the same as a Jeep Wrangler. The wrangler was what Ford made the Bronco to compare with so this should not be a surprise.

I have friends with Wranglers and they don't have a problem with the payload they can have. So the Bronco with about the same, will be fine.

If it is being done with the wrangler you can do it with the bronco.

Mainerunr

Wildtrak
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 F150
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
You have to satisfy both GCWR and GVWR, and which one governs depends on how much you're towing. This is assuming you're trying to stay legal of course.

For your example I'm going to assume that you are at the max curb weight for 2.3L auto as listed in the spec sheets: CW=5150lbs, GVWR=6040lbs, TC=3500lbs, GCWR=8780lbs

At 3500lbs towed, 8780-5105-3500=175lbs available payload. This is governed by GCWR since you're at your max tow cap, but you can double-check GVWR too. Assuming 10% tongue weight, 5105+350+175=5630lbs < 6040lbs so you're okay.

At 3000lbs towed, 8780-5105-3000=675lbs available payload based on GCWR, but let's check GVWR. 5105+300+675=6080lbs > 6040lbs so you're over on your GVWR by 40lbs. By inspection the available payload will be 675-40=635lbs, but the actual equation is 6040-5105-300=635lbs.

Knowing that GCWR governs at a little over 3000lbs towed weight, the available payload above 3000lbs towed is calculated using the GCWR equation, and below is calculated using the GVWR equation. Punch in the weight of your jetskis on their trailer and you'll get your availabke payload. If someone with excel skills (@jaruss01) feels like it, they could graph these towed weight and payload gainst each other using both equations, and then cut off each at the max GCWR and GVWR.
GCWR number is everything in/on the tow rig and towed trailer. Everything counts toward it, including driver. If you towed to a scale, that is the max number...with you in the drivers seat.

So if GCWR is 8780 curb weight is 5150 and the trailer is 3500, you've got 130lb left for you, passengers and any personal belongings. the 3500 number is meaningless...and that calculation has nothing to do with payload specifically. At 10% tongue weight and a 3500lb trailer, that's 350, 5150 curb weight, 6000 GVWR you would have 500lb payload left for you, your passengers and your things...but you don't have room on GCWR. (BTW, I used 5150 for curb weight because I wasn't sure which was a typo in your post...if it's 5105, you gain 45lb.)

I run into this all the time on the F150 forum, everyone thinks payload is king, the limiting factor, and it used to be...but now you have to check GCWR too. My F150 has tons of payload but at max trailer, my GCWR only leaves me with 118lb which barely covers the WDH.

The other thing is that people tend to massively underestimate how much crap they keep in their vehicles...and then there are accessories and whatnot that they add on after the fact.

As for the questions regarding whether the sticker accounts for options and accessories...if it was installed at the factory, it is reflected on the sticker (not all manufacturer's do it this way but Ford does). If you replace something for a lighter version, win. The sticker doesn't change but no one would weigh the crap you have in/on your rig, they'd just weigh the whole rig so the "available payload" is as configured from the factory but the GVWR is the number that matters.

DryYourTears

Badlands
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Defender, 51 Ford F1, motorcycles
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Sorry if this has been asked already:

Was wondering if the restrictions on factory installed accessories like the Paint Protection or the Hardtop Headliner on 4-door Badlands 2.7 builds are due to GVWR limitations? Not sure how much Hardtop Headliner weighs, but Paint Protection film does not weigh much. Just wondering if anyone had any insight here
I've always felt like this is more of a supply issue. They can offer those things for the builds they think most people would want that accessory with, as opposed to holding up builds while they wait for paint protection film / headliners / roof racks.

Sponsored

BroncoRevital

Badlands
First Name
Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma, past; 94 FB, 86 FB, 84 Bronco2
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It’s crazy to me that the new 6g 2d Bronco weighs more then 5g Bronco.
It’s almost the same height too and the Wildtrack is actually wider and taller then it. ?

Last edited:

Used2jeep

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Crown Vic P71
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Jdc

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Damn, I don't know if this going to work for me anymore. My tent, fridge, camping gear, my bench, and full weight set. I'm not the only one hitting the weights while camping right? :ROFLMAO:
All jokes aside these numbers are good enough for my family + gear.

AmericanFreedom

Big Bend
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I've always felt like this is more of a supply issue. They can offer those things for the builds they think most people would want that accessory with, as opposed to holding up builds while they wait for paint protection film / headliners / roof racks.
thanks that makes way more sense

broncosor

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
To me this is of no consequence. I'll just order the roof rack, take it home and install it. Same goes for the aftermarket winch, lights, and any other items I want to add. I'm not paying Ford $180/hr to install when I can do the same for free. And my union boss (my wife ? ) doesn't give a rip about GVWR, and couldn't tell you what it stands for.

When I bought my 2015 JK, it didn't include a roof rack, so it's not like this is unprecedented, but I definitely want one on the Bronco.
How will you order it, since it is not part of the accessory list you can order?!

Sponsored

Broncoak

Badlands
First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 FSB
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
How will you order it, since it is not part of the accessory list you can order?!
Hmm, good question. I may have to go with an aftermarket solution, or just go without until there IS one to purchase. Either way, I'm not paying anyone to install it.

Edit: The other solution is to simply trim down my BL build to include the roof rack. Any other trim and I'll be too tempted to go SAS, and then I'm back at the roof rack issue.

FLSTFI Dave

Raptor
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Grand Sport, Carbon 65, 2017 F-150
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
The cargo capacity on the 2 door Badlands with out options is 982
The Cargo capacity on the 2 door Wildtrak with out options is 1070

So the Wildtrack can carry 88 more pounds. That really does not add up correctly. A no option Wildtrak has to be heavier than the no option Badlands. Wildtrack comes with the Sasquath package so those tires weigh more, the rims might weigh more with bead lock. Wildtrack comes with mid package and Badlands standard. Thinking the mid package weighs more.

No Wildtrack 4 door to make the comparison with the 4 door Badlands.

What do you think? Mistake or Badlands cant carry as much.

DryYourTears

Badlands
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Defender, 51 Ford F1, motorcycles
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The cargo capacity on the 2 door Badlands with out options is 982
The Cargo capacity on the 2 door Wildtrak with out options is 1070

So the Wildtrack can carry 88 more pounds. That really does not add up correctly. A no option Wildtrak has to be heavier than the no option Badlands. Wildtrack comes with the Sasquath package so those tires weigh more, the rims might weigh more with bead lock. Wildtrack comes with mid package and Badlands standard. Thinking the mid package weighs more.

No Wildtrack 4 door to make the comparison with the 4 door Badlands.

What do you think? Mistake or Badlands cant carry as much.
Lighter bumpers (unless you choose the options HD bumper for the Wildtrak).

harpo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
not as many as I thought
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

When campus PD gave me 2 parking tickets separate times they didn’t know what the car was since it only has the ST badge on the back. One ticket said Explorer Sport Track and the other said Mercury Mountaineer.

Maybe if they come out with a Bronco ST I can get away with it ?
The fiesta probably has a 1000lb payload capacity....

broncosor

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Hmm, good question. I may have to go with an aftermarket solution, or just go without until there IS one to purchase. Either way, I'm not paying anyone to install it.

Edit: The other solution is to simply trim down my BL build to include the roof rack. Any other trim and I'll be too tempted to go SAS, and then I'm back at the roof rack issue.

Same for me. I want Sasquatch but no roof rack available. Might force me to get a BL with stock 33 tires. Aftermarket may take months to have a good solution. I need to use the rack right away since I plan on camping all summer and I have a RTT.
Sponsored