BroncBuster
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Stickys are 100% not street legal.
Miss information some states they are legal. Like Texas but yes right now I’m using this one for off-road and my wife’s is our daily
Sponsored

tmason10

Badlands
Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
BroncBuster
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I thought I saw they broke the rack with light bright?
Yes we broke the first day! I then prototyped a new part that solves the 2021 steering rack problem. Then went out three days later and was a huge success

tmason10

Badlands
First Name
BroncBuster
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
He discusses it a lot on the FB groups. Apparently they have some prototype steering system. He is one of the folks that broke their steering rods and rack early on, he replaced it with hydro steering. I'm also pretty certain he said it is off road only.

I could be confusing him with someone else, but I'm 99% certain that is the same person.
Plan is still to eventually go Hydro. But currently patenting fix on the electric rack that will allow people to safely install lift and tires.

tmason10

Badlands
First Name
BroncBuster
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Me: "What?! That thing looks dumb. That's insane and totally unnecessary"

**Climbs up vertical ledge**

Also Me: "That is SO fucking cool and necessary. What a bad ass piece of machinery!!"
Thank you I think 🤔 😂😂

goatman2

Badlands
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Website
gandgautorepair.com
Vehicle(s)
F450, Jeep XJ, Porsche 911, 2dr Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Sponsored

710-oil-614

Big Bend
First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Tremor, 2010 Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend

Aaonter

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JLR
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Miss information some states they are legal. Like Texas but yes right now I’m using this one for off-road and my wife’s is our daily
Sorry, was noticing the video was in Utah and I know non-DOT tires are not legal there for highway. Now if you will actually get pulled over is another question. Sweet rig though!

Aaonter

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JLR
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Why? Which brand?
Stickey Mickey Thompson Baja Pro X from his description. There are a few states that they are so you have to check as someone else pointed out. Now there is also the fact that most police will not know but they do say "Off Highway Only" on the side but they do look most ATV with a lot larger lugs than an DOT MT. I personally would want to only use it for orroading myslef and not daily driving due to being soft and wear fast. I am to cheap to want to burn through them.
Ford Bronco 2021 Bronco on 40s eats rocks alive 1639072288896

goatman2

Badlands
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Website
gandgautorepair.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Stickey Mickey Thompson Baja Pro X from his description. There are a few states that they are so you have to check as someone else pointed out. Now there is also the fact that most police will not know but they do say "Off Highway Only" on the side but they do look most ATV with a lot larger lugs than an DOT MT. I personally would want to only use it for orroading myslef and not daily driving due to being soft and wear fast. I am to cheap to want to burn through them.
Ford Bronco 2021 Bronco on 40s eats rocks alive 1639072288896
Agree, but my question was why are they illegal? I get not wanting to run them on the street, they are soft expensive tires. I just resist all of this "not legal" stuff unless someone can quote the law that says they are not legal. Just like beadlocks, no such law exists. Not trying to be difficult, more trying to be accurate.

Aaonter

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JLR
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Agree, but my question was why are they illegal? I get not wanting to run them on the street, they are soft expensive tires. I just resist all of this "not legal" stuff unless someone can quote the law that says they are not legal. Just like beadlocks, no such law exists. Not trying to be difficult, more trying to be accurate.
I agree. DOT does all sorts of weird things. Look at the history of headlights. Pop up headlight was a US thing because we did not allow two layers of glass in front of a light. Look at the original JDM Honda NSX vs Acura NSX. We only just this year allowed advanced headlights that have been standard in europe for a long time. We do have a ton more leeway to mod cars in the US that europe so I cannot complain.

Sponsored

goatman2

Badlands
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Website
gandgautorepair.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

I agree. DOT does all sorts of weird things. Look at the history of headlights. Pop up headlight was a US thing because we did not allow two layers of glass in front of a light. Look at the original JDM Honda NSX vs Acura NSX. We only just this year allowed advanced headlights that have been standard in europe for a long time. We do have a ton more leeway to mod cars in the US that europe so I cannot complain.
Sorry, I don't think you understood my question. I'm not asking why DOT made them illegal, if that's what you think. I'm asking on what basis, what law, are you considering them to be illegal. Who says they are illegal? What law is referenced? What law are you breaking if you run a sticky tire on the street?

Again, not trying to be difficult, just accurate, if possible.

Aaonter

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JLR
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Sorry, I don't think you understood my question. I'm not asking why DOT made them illegal, if that's what you think. I'm asking on what basis, what law, are you considering them to be illegal. Who says they are illegal? What law is referenced? What law are you breaking if you run a sticky tire on the street?

Again, not trying to be difficult, just accurate, if possible.
Maybe I have this wrong but the DOT approves or not approves what can be on our highway system. States can make exceptions to public roads and usually has speed limits in place. You are not going to find a state law that prohibits a nationally prohibited item. You will find laws that instead allow them like the case of ATVs. ATVs are not allowed nationally but states like Utah and AZ have exceptions. Surplus Hummers also ran into that when I was looking at getting one. I would have had to have it legal in Co then would have tried to find a way to bring it into Washington. You will not find a law that says Hummers are not allowed in Wa roads. DOT said the surplus were OHV only which is stupid because the military take them on the highway all the time. I have not check lately and this all might have changed. Please prove me wrong because I very easily could be but this has been my understanding.

goatman2

Badlands
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Website
gandgautorepair.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Maybe I have this wrong but the DOT approves or not approves what can be on our highway system. States can make exceptions to public roads and usually has speed limits in place. You are not going to find a state law that prohibits a nationally prohibited item. You will find laws that instead allow them like the case of ATVs. ATVs are not allowed nationally but states like Utah and AZ have exceptions. Surplus Hummers also ran into that when I was looking at getting one. I would have had to have it legal in Co then would have tried to find a way to bring it into Washington. You will not find a law that says Hummers are not allowed in Wa roads. DOT said the surplus were OHV only which is stupid because the military take them on the highway all the time. I have not check lately and this all might have changed. Please prove me wrong because I very easily could be but this has been my understanding.
Again, sorry to nitpick, we don't have to go down this road. I believe it is an assumption on your part that the DOT approves things like you are saying. That's why I asked to point out the law, not an assumption. I'm simply resisting an assumption, because folks read these assumptions on the internet and it creates popular impressions of what is allowed and not allowed. You should be able to look it up. A good example is the assumption regarding beadlock wheels. Folks think they are not street legal because assumptions have been made regarding the DOT. No such DOT restriction exists, it is a myth. So, do you know that a sticky tire is illegal on the street, or is it assumed? I agree that's it's not a good idea, but are you illegal if you drive your rig on the street in Moab to a trail if you have sticky tires? If you know, show the law that tells you that.

Aaonter

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JLR
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Again, sorry to nitpick, we don't have to go down this road. I believe it is an assumption on your part that the DOT approves things like you are saying. That's why I asked to point out the law, not an assumption. I'm simply resisting an assumption, because folks read these assumptions on the internet and it creates popular impressions of what is allowed and not allowed. You should be able to look it up. A good example is the assumption regarding beadlock wheels. Folks think they are not street legal because assumptions have been made regarding the DOT. No such DOT restriction exists, it is a myth. So, do you know that a sticky tire is illegal on the street, or is it assumed? I agree that's it's not a good idea, but are you illegal if you drive your rig on the street in Moab to a trail if you have sticky tires? If you know, show the law that tells you that.
ok here you go. From the Utah website. And no the bead lock is not a myth. There are DOT approved Bead locks. Why do you think Jeep and Ford sell bead lock capable wheels that you have to modify to work.
https://site.utah.gov/dps-highway/wp-content/uploads/sites/21/2017/12/Keepmyvehiclesafeandlegal.pdf

Now like I also said chances are you will not be pulled over driving from camp to a trail in Moab but unless you live there the legal way to get it to Moab or Sand Hollow is to trailer. I have seen other options where people race and trailer the slicks with fuel and tools behind the car then swap at the track.

and the definition of a highway legally for you.

The term "highway" is defined in 27 CFR 555.11 as "any public street, public alley, or public road, including a privately financed, constructed, or maintained road that is regularly and openly traveled by the general public."
Ford Bronco 2021 Bronco on 40s eats rocks alive 1639177769260

Ford Bronco 2021 Bronco on 40s eats rocks alive 1639177845719

And the Bead lock part. If they are not DOT approved no go legally. I am not trying to argue but you are making a lot of assumptions and ignorance of the law is not a defense.
Ford Bronco 2021 Bronco on 40s eats rocks alive 1639178415608

Last edited:

goatman2

Badlands
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Website
gandgautorepair.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
ok here you go. From the Utah website. And no the bead lock is not a myth. There are DOT approved Bead locks. Why do you think Jeep and Ford sell bead lock capable wheels that you have to modify to work.
https://site.utah.gov/dps-highway/wp-content/uploads/sites/21/2017/12/Keepmyvehiclesafeandlegal.pdf

Now like I also said chances are you will not be pulled over driving from camp to a trail in Moab but unless you live there the legal way to get it to Moab or Sand Hollow is to trailer. I have seen other options where people race and trailer the slicks with fuel and tools behind the car then swap at the track.

and the definition of a highway legally for you.

The term "highway" is defined in 27 CFR 555.11 as "any public street, public alley, or public road, including a privately financed, constructed, or maintained road that is regularly and openly traveled by the general public."
1639177769260.png

1639177845719.png

And the Bead lock part. If they are not DOT approved no go legally. I am not trying to argue but you are making a lot of assumptions and ignorance of the law is not a defense.
1639178415608.png

Thanks, you are making my point. And again, BTW, I'm not trying to be difficult, just factual. This has nothing to do with DOT. There is nothing DOT in what you presented. You presented the state of UT safety inspection protocol. Safety inspections aren't even required, however this document outlines the standards. According to what you have presented, in the state of UT, it is equally illegal to drive with worn out tires, or a leaking power steering hose, or a loose ball joint, or with play in the steering wheel, as it is to drive with "off road only" tires or non-stamped beadlock wheels. And, like you also said, there is no enforcement.

So, if you want to make a point that technically, in UT, sticky tires are not legal to drive on the street, then I agree with you. But, it is not DOT, and the UT standard doesn't apply to any other state. And, if you're willing to drive with any fluid leak in your car, then you shouldn't be concerned with driving on sticky tires on the street, if the intent is to "be legal". Wish my auto repair business was in UT, then I could tell every customer, when we find something on the inspection, that they must fix it now or they will be "illegal". :giggle:

And for the record, the DOT compliance standard regarding wheels is a requirement to have the wheel capacity stamped in the wheel, and it is a self regulating standard (the manufacturer self regulates, no DOT approval or inspection) and it only applies to wheels on vehicles over 10,000 lbs GVW which doesn't include our Jeeps and Broncos. So no, there is no DOT rule on "beadlock" wheels.

BTW, thanks for indulging me. To me this is campfire talk. And sorry to those not remotely interested in this exchange, not wanting to get too far off track from the OP. 🍻
Sponsored