First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
For the price, it looked like an excellent solution for the interim prior to building a bumper... so, ya, I pulled the trigger and purchased it just now... they only had one in stock listed as left.
Sponsored

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Daaaaaaaaang, the winch mount plate seems fairly thin considering that plate will be responsible for carrying the entire load on the line.

They list it's for their 12,000 lb winch so they must have tested it. It just doesn't look like it would take that without material failure.
It might be thin, but that can be easily reinforced, if need be. The harbor freight Apex 12k Synthetic winch appears to be a clone or close copy of the RC 12k Synthetic. I am pretty sure that's going to bolt up pretty easily. Plus it should work with all the sensors and ACC from the go, which I will give up some departure angle for.

I'll be really living that hard core mall crawling OBX life now!!!

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
It might be thin, but that can be easily reinforced, if need be. The harbor freight Apex 12k Synthetic winch appears to be a clone or close copy of the RC 12k Synthetic. I am pretty sure that's going to bolt up pretty easily. Plus it should work with all the sensors and ACC from the go, which I will give up some departure angle for.

I'll be really living that hard core mall crawling OBX life now!!!
Since you grabbed this thing, please give us a thread once you install it and possibly start the thread once you take delivery and give us the gauge of metal used.

Ultimately it seems like the material would simply deform slightly under load until the winch contacts the frame and the housing of the winch becomes your "reinforcement".

Fabricating something new that needs reinforcement after you've done surface finishing seems like something that was fabricated poorly in materials or design.

OP
OP
Stage 3 Motorsports

Stage 3 Motorsports

Badlands
Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.stage3motorsports.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands 4 Door 2.7L Ecoboost
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Would like to see the installation instructions. I didn't see them on your site.
https://s3.amazonaws.com/roughcountry/install/921510540.pdf

Approach angle is the only thing I could see being negatively impacted. I'm still very interested though.

Will this fit the modular front bumper?
Rough country does not make mention and from the pics I would have to say likely not, although it may be possible. Time will tell on this one.

I just took these photos yesterday of the factory winch setup. Terrible.
I'm interested in this rough country setup, but I'm curious of the winch quality. Anyone?
Also, are you guys allowing local pickup yet?
We still are not available for local pickup.
As far as rough country's winch they are a great winch for the money. I would group them with similar lower dollar winches, smittybilt etc. But not a warn.

That being said the bolt pattern is the standard 4.5x10 so almost any winch could be used with their mount.

Daaaaaaaaang, the winch mount plate seems fairly thin considering that plate will be responsible for carrying the entire load on the line.

They list it's for their 12,000 lb winch so they must have tested it. It just doesn't look like it would take that without material failure.
As much as you may hear the opposite I totally trust any of rough countrys hard parts, they carry a lifetime warranty as well so that says a lot.

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
https://s3.amazonaws.com/roughcountry/install/921510540.pdf
As much as you may hear the opposite I totally trust any of rough countrys hard parts, they carry a lifetime warranty as well so that says a lot.
Oh yea, they have a great history, and like I said, they have probably tested this (likely from other vehicles that they have made this product for) and know what the capabilities are. Heck, they made the darn thing for a specific winch, so you usually don't screw up that sort of product if that's your line of work.

It just "looks" like a small gauge of metal. I'm a total hack fabricator and not an engineer at all, so I tend to drastically over-do materials in fear of failure.

It's an elegant solution and one that I immediately went to the pics of bumpers i've been tracking to see if this would be the hot ticket at giving winch capabilities to a more robust than OEM bumper..... No dice so far (Dang, that ARB bumper looks good, but no winch!).

Sponsored
OP
OP
Stage 3 Motorsports

Stage 3 Motorsports

Badlands
Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.stage3motorsports.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands 4 Door 2.7L Ecoboost
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
For the price, it looked like an excellent solution for the interim prior to building a bumper... so, ya, I pulled the trigger and purchased it just now... they only had one in stock listed as left.
Thanks for the order and look forward to the review. And using the harbor freight is a good call and will likely work out just fine.

19 left in stock at Rough Country and can have them drop shipped for anyone in the market.

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Since you grabbed this thing, please give us a thread once you install it and possibly start the thread once you take delivery and give us the gauge of metal used.

Ultimately it seems like the material would simply deform slightly under load until the winch contacts the frame and the housing of the winch becomes your "reinforcement".

Fabricating something new that needs reinforcement after you've done surface finishing seems like something that was fabricated poorly in materials or design.
I am hoping that it will be sufficiently thick, however, I know that I can fix any shortcomings pretty easily as I have a really nice TIG welding setup. I would prefer to bolt it up and go, but I am willing to take the small risk that it might need a little love.

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Thanks for the order and look forward to the review. And using the harbor freight is a good call and will likely work out just fine.

19 left in stock at Rough Country and can have them drop shipped for anyone in the market.
So let's start with the fact that while I might be a hard core mall crawler, I am not a hard core off-roader. That makes the HF 12k winch so laughably far beyond overkill for what I would likely ever challenge it with! It's rated at more than double the weight of my 2 door OBX. I will definitely give it a review once they give me a Bronco. I already had purchased the winch amongst other things.

Sponsored

Boston182

First Edition
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Harley Davidson Sportster
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

This is awesome. I just wonder if it will go on the modular bumper and/or replace the factory skid plate.

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Which factory bumpers will it work with?

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks

BTW, after reading the site, it's 11 Gauge Steel (1/8" - 0.125" - 3.175mm)
Sponsored