Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

As mentioned in the other thread, I'm still wondering about those frame extensions
Sponsored

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
So let's start with the fact that while I might be a hard core mall crawler, I am not a hard core off-roader. That makes the HF 12k winch so laughably far beyond overkill for what I would likely ever challenge it with! It's rated at more than double the weight of my 2 door OBX. I will definitely give it a review once they give me a Bronco. I already had purchased the winch amongst other things.
Line pull is a serious thing to know and understand. Ultimately the vernacular of "1.5x vehicle weight" as a minimum has been used for a long time. But there's more to know if you're serious about having the right tool for the job. Don't forget that you also need to include all of the weight of your gear, humans and possibly the dancing girls into the pre-multiplier weight. So a lightly loaded rig should have approximately 2x vehicle weight as a minimum for winch capacity.

Sad to say, winching safely with a heavy vehicle means having a very high load rated winch. 2x is just hitting the low end of safe.

The normal version:
https://www.carid.com/articles/how-much-winch-pulling-power-do-i-need-for-my-vehicle.html

The geeky math version:
https://emce.com/about-winches/winch calculation

BTW, after reading the site, it's 11 Gauge Steel (1/8" - 0.125" - 3.175mm)
1/2" plate or GTFO! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: (kidding. Thanks for finding the material thickness, 11 gauge is great! They aren't making much profit on these things with metal prices these days)

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Well at the risk of being a bit of a geek...

The 12k winch is 2.636203866432337 more than the curb weight of my Bronco. ;) If you add a snatch pulley to double the pulling power, you have as much as 24k worth of pulling power and my 2 door OBX Bronco at its max GWVR is 5760. So even then, it's still 2.08x times the max GWVR single line and double line would be 4.16x the max GWVR.

Famous last words: "It's fine...."

GVWR-Details-with-Wildtrack-2048x1583.jpg

Last edited:

TGoar

Wildtrak
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubi, 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Another, more affordable for winch mount for those in the market.

2021 Bronco Rough Country Hidden Winch Mount & Skid Plate Kit 51054

Ford Bronco 2021 Bronco Rough Country Hidden Winch Mount & Skid Plate Kit 51054 GVWR-Details-with-Wildtrack-2048x1583

2021 Bronco Rough Country Hidden Winch Mount Features:
  • Adds clean, low-profile winch mounting and protection
  • Compete winch mount and skid plate kit
  • High and tight install under the stock bumper
  • Compatible with Rough Country 9500S and 12000S winches
  • Requires minor frame trimming for installation
  • Comes with install hardware and instructions
  • Will not fit Bronco Sport
Adds a Clean, Low-Profile Mount for Rough Country's Winches on your 2021 Bronco
The 2021 Broncos may be able to hit the dirt and the trails straight off the showroom floor, but tackling tough terrain without a good plan B and a good recovery solution is never a good idea. The Rough Country Hidden Winch Mount Kit for 2021 Broncos gives your aggressive, off-road Bronco build some extra protection and an extremely clean, low-profile mounting solution for one of Rough Country's high-quality winches or similarly-sized winches. The Rough Country Bronco Hidden Winch Mount tucks tight under your 2021 Bronco's front bumper and features a cutout for a fairlead and is even compatible with Rough Country's Tow Hook Shackle Conversion kit so that you get a bunch of different recovery options. Each mount and skit plate has an awesome, angular design that gives your 2021 Bronco a vicious, tough look that is sure to turn some heads. The winch mount includes an integrated skid plate to replace the factory guard panel and installs using a combination of the stock mounting mounting points and included hardware, though some frame trimming is required for final installation. Complete Winch Mount Kit with Integrated Skid Plate made from Powder Coated Steel
The Rough Country Bronco Hidden Winch Mount is built extremely tough so that it can handle and survive tough off-road and overland applications without letting you down. Both the winch mount and the skid plate are made entirely out of steel and come topped off with a textured black powder coat finish that keeps them protected from corrosion in almost any climate and application. The skid plate comes with laser-cut "RC" lettering that gives the entire kit a great look. The winch mount was designed to work with Rough Country's 9500S winch or Rough Country's 1200S winch with synthetic ropes. The winch plate features a standard 10x4.5" bolt pattern, and other winches of similar dimensions to Rough Country's winches may fit. The Rough Country winch mount requires some frame cutting for installation and comes with install hardware and instructions.

Fitment:
  • 2021 Bronco 4-Door
  • 2021 Bronco 2-Door

Will only fit Broncos with tow hooks: this kit will only fit 2021 Bronco models with OEM tow hooks.
Will not fit Bronco Sports: this hidden winch kit will not fit Bronco Sports.
Looks awesome! Will it work with the heavy duty upgraded ford front bumper?

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Looks awesome! Will it work with the heavy duty upgraded ford front bumper?
That's a good question...

It would be pretty funny if it only fit the mall crawlers... LOL. I don't know why they wouldn't design it to fit all of them. One thing that I did notice was when checking fitment on the website, it didn't specify any specific trim level as being incompatible (as long as it had the frame mounted tow hooks).

Sponsored

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Doesn’t stock bumper and mod bumper both have frame mounted row hooks - but, significantly different style and location?

I have a bad feeling this won’t work with modular bumpers. Keeping subscribed for more info. I don’t plan on changing my bumper - so, this looks like the best winch solution so far.

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 5.0 LX, 08 F-150 Stepside, 22 Expl Timberline
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Meh. Not for me.

I will wait to see if someone makes a mount like the 4600 has. It will not effect the approach angle. If no one makes one I'm sure I can figure it out and fab one up myself. ;)

Ford Bronco 2021 Bronco Rough Country Hidden Winch Mount & Skid Plate Kit 51054 FB_IMG_1615857870765

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Meh. Not for me.

I will wait to see if someone makes a mount like the 4600 has. It will not effect the approach angle. If no one makes one I'm sure I can figure it out and fab one up myself. ;)

Ford Bronco 2021 Bronco Rough Country Hidden Winch Mount & Skid Plate Kit 51054 FB_IMG_1615857870765
I think, aside from the styled vs flat skid plate, the RC is very similar.

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 5.0 LX, 08 F-150 Stepside, 22 Expl Timberline
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I think, aside from the styled vs flat skid plate, the RC is very similar.

Similar yes but it will have an effect on the approach angle. ;)

I've added the RC in green to give an idea of where I am going with this.

Ford Bronco 2021 Bronco Rough Country Hidden Winch Mount & Skid Plate Kit 51054 RC

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Similar yes but it will have an effect on the approach angle. ;)

I've added the RC in green to give an idea of where I am going with this.
We put some rollers on there... "It's fine..." ;)

Sponsored

andrusoid

Base
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Outback, '79 2G, '89 3G, '92 5G White!
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Another, more affordable for winch mount for those in the market.

2021 Bronco Rough Country Hidden Winch Mount & Skid Plate Kit 51054

Ford Bronco 2021 Bronco Rough Country Hidden Winch Mount & Skid Plate Kit 51054 RC

2021 Bronco Rough Country Hidden Winch Mount Features:
  • Adds clean, low-profile winch mounting and protection
  • Compete winch mount and skid plate kit
  • High and tight install under the stock bumper
  • Compatible with Rough Country 9500S and 12000S winches
  • Requires minor frame trimming for installation
  • Comes with install hardware and instructions
  • Will not fit Bronco Sport
Adds a Clean, Low-Profile Mount for Rough Country's Winches on your 2021 Bronco
The 2021 Broncos may be able to hit the dirt and the trails straight off the showroom floor, but tackling tough terrain without a good plan B and a good recovery solution is never a good idea. The Rough Country Hidden Winch Mount Kit for 2021 Broncos gives your aggressive, off-road Bronco build some extra protection and an extremely clean, low-profile mounting solution for one of Rough Country's high-quality winches or similarly-sized winches. The Rough Country Bronco Hidden Winch Mount tucks tight under your 2021 Bronco's front bumper and features a cutout for a fairlead and is even compatible with Rough Country's Tow Hook Shackle Conversion kit so that you get a bunch of different recovery options. Each mount and skit plate has an awesome, angular design that gives your 2021 Bronco a vicious, tough look that is sure to turn some heads. The winch mount includes an integrated skid plate to replace the factory guard panel and installs using a combination of the stock mounting mounting points and included hardware, though some frame trimming is required for final installation. Complete Winch Mount Kit with Integrated Skid Plate made from Powder Coated Steel
The Rough Country Bronco Hidden Winch Mount is built extremely tough so that it can handle and survive tough off-road and overland applications without letting you down. Both the winch mount and the skid plate are made entirely out of steel and come topped off with a textured black powder coat finish that keeps them protected from corrosion in almost any climate and application. The skid plate comes with laser-cut "RC" lettering that gives the entire kit a great look. The winch mount was designed to work with Rough Country's 9500S winch or Rough Country's 1200S winch with synthetic ropes. The winch plate features a standard 10x4.5" bolt pattern, and other winches of similar dimensions to Rough Country's winches may fit. The Rough Country winch mount requires some frame cutting for installation and comes with install hardware and instructions.

Fitment:
  • 2021 Bronco 4-Door
  • 2021 Bronco 2-Door

Will only fit Broncos with tow hooks: this kit will only fit 2021 Bronco models with OEM tow hooks.
Will not fit Bronco Sports: this hidden winch kit will not fit Bronco Sports.

More photos:

Excellent design. Plays nicely with 2 door full body bash plate?

FATHORSE

Big Bend
First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
nissan
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Do you think this will also work with the Steel Bumper from Ford?

I know Im probably inviting having stones thrown at me, but, what does everyone think of the Badland brand that harbor freight sells. They have a chart that compares them to warn that seems pretty appetizing. I know you typically dont buy stuff from them that you think will last. Mainly one time use. But this branding seems to suggest otherwise.

Comments?

Petey

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Do you think this will also work with the Steel Bumper from Ford?

I know Im probably inviting having stones thrown at me, but, what does everyone think of the Badland brand that harbor freight sells. They have a chart that compares them to warn that seems pretty appetizing. I know you typically dont buy stuff from them that you think will last. Mainly one time use. But this branding seems to suggest otherwise.

Comments?
The Rough Country winch isn't much different or more expensive than the Harbor Freight one. You should look at that.

De Brus

First Edition
First Name
De Brus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 HD 1200, '66 IH, '62 VW
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

The Rough Country winch isn't much different or more expensive than the Harbor Freight one. You should look at that.
Badland has a wireless remote which is very appealing!

DREWR13

Badlands
First Name
DREW
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Miata....
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Haven't used a winch in years but on this hidden style mount how do you free spool it out? Probably a dumb question but accessing the clutch handle would be impossible?
Sponsored