First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Nothing like reaching through a little hole on the underside of a wench. :sneaky:

Sorry.
Well actually, the HF one, you could power out the line, which while slower than freewheeling would only take 2 mins to put out 62 feet of line, which isn't that long really. So you could just leave it engaged.
Sponsored

fergusonwoodcraft

Wildtrak
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Wildtrak in Cactus Gray, MIC, Tow
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Does this work on ALL models? I ask because I was told recently that since I have a Wildtrak, the 4wp skid plate will not work due to how the intercooler and D ring setup is on the front vs other model trims.

BroncoKong Jr.

Badlands
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Does this work on ALL models? I ask because I was told recently that since I have a Wildtrak, the 4wp skid plate will not work due to how the intercooler and D ring setup is on the front vs other model trims.
Theoretically works if you have a plastic bumper, but not if you have the HD modular bumper. edit: So looks like you're correct and it doesn't work with a 2.7.

I would hold off on a purchase before asking RC directly. Their Bronco is a Base I believe, so everything is designed using that trim.

Last edited:

Paul Gagnon

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'79 Mustang, '92 Explorer, '10 F-350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Daaaaaaaaang, the winch mount plate seems fairly thin considering that plate will be responsible for carrying the entire load on the line.

They list it's for their 12,000 lb winch so they must have tested it. It just doesn't look like it would take that without material failure.

Looks to be 3/16ths plate, just like almost every other winch mounting plate out there.

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Well, let's start with this, typical Rough Country QC with a number of blemishes, minimal quality control, and lame packing. It's not all downhill from there, because a little black spray paint is likely to rectify those small flaws. However there are a few things that need to be said with regards to the plate thickness and other small details.

First, it isn't 3/8" (0.375") plate, get that idea out of your mind straight away. The skid plate is 3.2mm (0.125") thick and the winch mount is 5mm (0.196") thick. However, the way it mounts may provide sufficient strength given the design when winching something near the weight of the Bronco. It certainly would be easy to add an additional plate to add stiffness to the mount itself with minimal effort and at minimal cost. The skid plate has a line that looks like a crack, but I suspect it is a poorly grinded weld, but I don't expect it to impact functionality. Like I said, minimal quality control.

The recessed opening does not match the Badlands Apex 12000S winch Fairlead plate, however the bolt holes line up fine and allow installation of the Apex Fairlead plate. Also, the Apex Badlands 12000S winch fits perfectly into winch mount with no issues. See attached photos for pictures of everything.

Feel free to hit me up with any questions. Ya, I am not sending it back, but it could have been a little bit nicer than how it showed up. Not disappointed, but at the same time, not blown away.

20211003_211535.jpg

20211003_211555.jpg

20211003_211601.jpg

20211003_212144.jpg

20211003_212159.jpg

20211003_213942.jpg

20211003_214336.jpg
Looks to be 3/16ths plate, just like almost every other winch mounting plate out there.
Paul, looks like an answer popped up overnight. And as suspected by visuals, it sure as heck isn't 3/16".

Sponsored

Paul Gagnon

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'79 Mustang, '92 Explorer, '10 F-350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Paul, looks like an answer popped up overnight. And as suspected by visuals, it sure as heck isn't 3/16".
3/16" is 0.1875" so at 5mm( 0.196" ) it is actually thicker by just a hair.

Shinoko

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I see the bolt heads on the bottom (see the shiny silver heads?) needing to be replaced by a stove bolt head better to resist being drug over rock with less damage.
Yea, I agree with this totally. That was something I considered a pretty major weak point when I was looking at this, before I realized it wouldn't work. The idea that the winch mount takes the place of a skid plate but will shear or damage those bolts in the process is pretty nasty. I would hate to run over a rock, not realize it, go to use the winch and the winch yanks out damaging the intercooler and who knows what else on the way out. Why those don't sit flush is beyond me and kindof sloppy IMO.

Theoretically works if you have a plastic bumper, but not if you have the HD modular bumper.

I would hold off on a purchase before asking RC directly. Their Bronco is a Base I believe, so everything is designed using that trim.
Scroll back a few posts, it won't work with my 2.7. I expect RC got a base 2.3 in and assumed that space was open with the 2.7 as well, because mine (and several others have reported the same) has a heat exchange of some sort in the place they would put the winch. I do not think relocating it would be trivial, but I could be mistaken.

BroncoKong Jr.

Badlands
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Scroll back a few posts, it won't work with my 2.7. I expect RC got a base 2.3 in and assumed that space was open with the 2.7 as well, because mine (and several others have reported the same) has a heat exchange of some sort in the place they would put the winch. I do not think relocating it would be trivial, but I could be mistaken.
Thanks, I missed that.

RJC

Badlands
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Seems great but rough country stuff like this is only Compatible with the stock bumper.
This is true, been there, it will not fit modular bumper.

Sponsored

RJC

Badlands
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yea, I agree with this totally. That was something I considered a pretty major weak point when I was looking at this, before I realized it wouldn't work. The idea that the winch mount takes the place of a skid plate but will shear or damage those bolts in the process is pretty nasty. I would hate to run over a rock, not realize it, go to use the winch and the winch yanks out damaging the intercooler and who knows what else on the way out. Why those don't sit flush is beyond me and kindof sloppy IMO.

Will not work with mod bumper

dbeyers

Base
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Highlander
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Well actually, the HF one, you could power out the line, which while slower than freewheeling would only take 2 mins to put out 62 feet of line, which isn't that long really. So you could just leave it engaged.
I think he wants to feel the hole without getting engaged!

dbeyers

Base
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Highlander
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Are you sure those bolts hold the winch tray? Maybe ... I'll give it another look, maybe some heavy-duty stove head bolts would be a bit of a fix, in lieu of "those shouldn't even be there"?

AaronW

Badlands
First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Well they do have some sort of extension cable for the winch; however, my biggest concern is probably access to the winch clutch handle. Right now, my solution is to find a way to put an actuator on it to engage/disengage the clutch. As far as the controller, the HF is wireless, so that problem is solved.

The fact that it would work with the ACC and other LUX features is what really made me jump at it (and honestly, the price was reasonable too).
This is a good idea btw! I too had concerns about accessing the winch clutch. You could use one of the aux switches to move it one way or the other. If you figure this out I would like to replicate. I am not a fan of any the prototype bumpers only because of my LUX package. I don’t want to loose ACC.

71to21-2DR

Base
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Frontier 4WD
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Yes, yes, yes. I had something similar on a couple Bronco II's and a Ranger, very nice. Folks will say it hangs too low, and for deep mud maybe, but if you're crashing into rocks there your not going anywhere anyway. Only issue for me is I've ordered the Blue Ox Towing Base plate which mounts to the same locations. It's currently backordered and if it doesn't show up first I could get this and mount the towbar to the shackle points.

EDIT: One concern for using as a towbar mount, the instructions say to install the shackle mounts loosely then pull forward as far as possible, The holes are slotted and would work fine when pulling, but might not hold in braking when the towed pushes forward.
Im not rock crawling or mud bogging, just trails mining roads, desert, etc.
I think it would work well? How is RC quality?
Sponsored