Blitzinger

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tiguan
Your Bronco Model
Base
One of the reasons I'm wanting a new Bronco is due to the absence of a body on frame 20'/21' defender. The old defenders are what got me into the overland scene, the wrangler/4runners have kept my interested and the Bronco seems like a great fit. But I'm having trouble understanding something and maybe someone here can help.

It's probably an obvious answer but I can't quite put my finger on it. The 21' bronco, going by stats sheet, should be larger than the 11' defender 110. Yet the 110 defender seems larger in videos. The only area the defender is larger is in height. Not sure how that would work out to overall dimensions. More headroom so some more cargo area going up but not out is how I interpret it.

Here's the stats:
DefenderBronco
Height81.89"73"
Wheelbase109.84"116.1"
Length181.1"189.4
Width70.47"75.9"

And here's a 2011 defender 110. Notice the back looks like it has way more space than what we've seen in broncos, or maybe its just an optical illusion.

Sponsored

texasgreazer

Heritage
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Explorer, 2019 GMC Canyon
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

I've wondered the same about the size in general myself. It's really hard to judge from pictures. I'm hoping somewhere between the bronco II and the OJ bronco--a 4dr similar in size to a 4Runner maybe?

OP
OP
Blitzinger

Blitzinger

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tiguan
Your Bronco Model
Base
I've wondered the same about the size in general myself. It's really hard to judge from pictures. I'm hoping somewhere between the bronco II and the OJ bronco--a 4dr similar in size to a 4Runner maybe?
See, now I would have said no way because 4runners are pretty big. But I just pulled up dimensions and 4runner is almost identical in length, width and height to the new bronco. Must be the pictures. That or all the pictures and videos i've seen of the new 4dr bronco are being driven by giants

combatninja

Banned
Wildtrak
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ND Miata, Land Rover Defender 110, Porsche 911
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Overall vehicle dimensions certainly correlate to cargo capacity but it's not the whole story. Your numbers tell the tale: the 2021 Bronco 4-door is a bigger vehicle than the 2011 Defender. But the cargo area seems smaller. Probably because it is. Have you seem what an abysmal interior packaging mess an old Defender is? There is no legroom up front and the driver sits bolt upright, along with the rear passengers. This leaves room for the cargo bay. Also willing to bet that the crash performance of an old Defender is not up to what a 2021 Bronco could do, so the body shell can be thinner, leaving more room for cargo.
What is the relevance of comparing a 2021 Bronco to a 2011 Defender anyway?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Blitzinger

Blitzinger

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tiguan
Your Bronco Model
Base
What is the relevance of comparing a 2021 Bronco to a 2011 Defender anyway?
I plan to take my Bronco overlanding and the old Defenders are known for being really good in that arena.

What you say makes sense though. I've never sat in the old defender so can't attest to the leg room. I'm wondering how close I can get by removing the back seats which was already a plan I've had i mind, taking ques from the wranglers and old defenders.

Sponsored

csj

Outer Banks
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Tacoma OR
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Is it possible the Defender length doesn't include the spare, and the Bronco length does include the spare, meaning the overall lengths are closer than we otherwise would think? Same thing with the width; is it possible the Defender width doesn't include the fender flares, and the Bronco width does include the fender flares, again, meaning the widths are closer then we might think? Just wondering.

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
This is the 2021 Defender, which is absolutely not the generation you posted in the video. I'm not sure the comparison between new and decade old models.

Might as well compare the 60's bronco.

tgydvhufzjdool4h5dj3[1].jpg

OP
OP
Blitzinger

Blitzinger

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tiguan
Your Bronco Model
Base
Is it possible the Defender length doesn't include the spare, and the Bronco length does include the spare, meaning the overall lengths are closer than we otherwise would think? Same thing with the width; is it possible the Defender width doesn't include the fender flares, and the Bronco width does include the fender flares, again, meaning the widths are closer then we might think? Just wondering.
That's a good question. Unfortunately the defender stat sheet I found wasn't specific nor does the broncos seem to be.

Looking again at a few other videos, I think combatninja is right about the seats. They seem pretty far up for both front and back which looks like it may buy them a decent chunk of space.

OP
OP
Blitzinger

Blitzinger

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tiguan
Your Bronco Model
Base
What year Defender are you talking about as you reference multiple generations in the same breath?

This is the 2021 Defender, which is absolutely not the generation you posted in the video.

Ford Bronco 2021 Bronco size compared to 2011 Defender 110 tgydvhufzjdool4h5dj3[1]
" One of the reasons I'm wanting a new Bronco is due to the absence of a body on frame 20'/21' defender. The old defenders are what got me into the overland scene "

I'm saying because there is not a body on frame 20/21 defender, I'm looking at broncos. I mentioned the old defenders in the second sentence and used 2011 as an example in the second paragraph.

Studawg

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
02 Excursion, 96 Land Cruiser, 18 Land Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I think it has to do with the legroom vs cargo area. Bronco has more legroom; Defender has the cargo room. Im 6'3 so Ill take the legroom every time and add roof racks and boxes and trailers.

When I first saw this pic, I was immediately reminded of the older Defender 110. New Bronco just looks like modern version of old Defender. Land Rover guys are currently saying the new Defender should have looked like this...

Ford Bronco 2021 Bronco size compared to 2011 Defender 110 Screen Shot 2020-09-14 at 3.35.59 PM

Sponsored

BuckeyeinNV

Black Diamond
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I'm having a hard time finding good interior pictures of either vehicle, but here's my best try. Google says the cargo volume of the 2011 Defender 110 is 56.5 cu ft, but does not specify if that's behind the second row or max volume. Also, some Defenders had 3rd rows that took up a lot of space when folded. The Bronco has 35.6 behind second row and 77.6 max volume, so possibly a lot more.

Ford Bronco 2021 Bronco size compared to 2011 Defender 110 1600114441673

Ford Bronco 2021 Bronco size compared to 2011 Defender 110 1600114745365

mdepll

Black Diamond
First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
sorento
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I'm having a hard time finding good interior pictures of either vehicle, but here's my best try. Google says the cargo volume of the 2011 Defender 110 is 56.5 cu ft, but does not specify if that's behind the second row or max volume. Also, some Defenders had 3rd rows that took up a lot of space when folded. The Bronco has 35.6 behind second row and 77.6 max volume, so possibly a lot more.

it's the mystery no one has been able to solve? Lots of sightings but no one has been able to properly measure or take a good photo. Obviously not a selling feature...

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
" One of the reasons I'm wanting a new Bronco is due to the absence of a body on frame 20'/21' defender. The old defenders are what got me into the overland scene "

I'm saying because there is not a body on frame 20/21 defender, I'm looking at broncos. I mentioned the old defenders in the second sentence and used 2011 as an example in the second paragraph.
I corrected my initial post before you replied.

OP
OP
Blitzinger

Blitzinger

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tiguan
Your Bronco Model
Base
I corrected my initial post before you replied.
Your corrected post still assumes I'm talking about wanting a 21' defender. The initial post says not wanting defender due to absence (not having) body on frame design. Right above the video I mention "Here's a 2011 defender 110"
Sponsored