Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ND Miata, Land Rover Defender 110, Porsche 911
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
The 2021 Defender's lack of a separate body and frame does not seem to be holding it back off-road. Why is BOF a hard requirement for an overloading rig?
Sponsored

OP
OP
Blitzinger

Blitzinger

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tiguan
Your Bronco Model
Base
The 2021 Defender's lack of a separate body and frame does not seem to be holding it back off-road. Why is BOF a hard requirement for an overloading rig?
Oh I never said it's not capable. Even with all the gizmos and new direction they took it, its absolutely capable.

But I wanted body on frame for modifications over the years. If you check out older defenders, that's a big appeal. People turn them into campers or overland vehicles and have some really unique set ups.

It's like comparing a wrangler to a 4runner. Just doesn't seem to be the same when it comes to modifications and personality

rlynch356

Base
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Defender 90, RRC TDi, 200 series
Your Bronco Model
Base
Not a hard requirement, but in general its something we look at. the new defender's main issue in my eyes comes down to the suspension. Independent is fine, but the reality is that Land Rover has had 25 years to get air suspension right and they have failed. Every one I have owned (3 LR3's, L322 Range Rover, a sport) have had issues with it both on road and off. Off road its a real problem since it drops the suspension to the stops and with a larger tire you are literally stuck, with the truck unable to move. The 2nd issue with it is that the control arms and the mounts are not up to the task, I have bent a mount on an LR3 and the ball joints only last 30-40k road miles (way less on dirt).

I'm my mind an overland truck should be simple, durable, field reparable to a large extent, and have ample load capacity. these are the things that the Classic Defender excels at. YMMV
Sponsored