First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 BMW M3, 2018 F150, 2018 EA330SC
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Well that is unfortunate, but mad respect for this guy out there getting after it.

“To those about to rock, we salute you” AC/DC

3 weeks and counting for my FE.
Sponsored

JPG

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Too much skinny pedal, no experience with IFS ( probably, don't know the guy )

and this from Thed
The tie rod is intentionally the weakest link in the IFS system, usually because it's the cheapest item and the easiest to replace. If you're breaking tie rods, take it as a sign.
Think of tie rods as fuses, they break before you break something else like an axle ... For those new to IFS, Tie rods are one of the things you never go trailing without, that and a spare axle...

Rausch Creek , PA, fun with a bent tie rod
Ford Bronco 2021 Bronco snaps both tie rods valiantly on extreme obstacle (Queens Throne obstacle on K2 trail) FB_IMG_1493754722092

Last edited:

JPG

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If you’re deep on the trail how do you get that vehicle home after that?
Change the tie rods, never leave home without them , lol If no one has any, you're shit out of luck...Maybe some redneck welding, but that would suck.

WarDamnBravos

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Change the tie rods, never leave home without them , lol If no one has any, you're shit out of luck...Maybe some redneck welding, but that would suck.

and this from Thed

Think of tie rods as fuses, they break before you axle does... For those new to IFS, Tie rods are one of the things you never go trailing without, that and a spare axle...

Ford Bronco 2021 Bronco snaps both tie rods valiantly on extreme obstacle (Queens Throne obstacle on K2 trail) FB_IMG_1493754722092
Is Ford currently selling those?

UtahLars

First Edition
First Name
Laurent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 Ford Bronco First Edition. ‘21 Audi RS6 Avan
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

This is the place the solid axle of the wrangler would be better.
I'd look at this and think - wait a sec. Let me go get the Polaris instead. I wouldn't have the balls to try this in either Bronco or Wrangler. Props and best of luck getting her fit again.

Sponsored

Bison

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fj cruiser, Power wagon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

and this from Thed

Think of tie rods as fuses, they break before you axle does... For those new to IFS, Tie rods are one of the things you never go trailing without, that and a spare axle...

I don’t believe that to be true. I have seen broken axels without broken tie rods quite often. I have only seen one bent tie rod. On tough trails I carry a spare axel, rear shock, and front coil over. I may carry a tie rod now as well but I have never had an issue and I haven’t been with anyone that has.

Broncodave

Black Diamond
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Challenger/Nissan Xterra
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Altitude

Badlands
First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Grand Cherokee, 2008 Suzuki B-King
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'd look at this and think - wait a sec. Let me go get the Polaris instead. I wouldn't have the balls to try this in either Bronco or Wrangler. Props and best of luck getting her fit again.
Personally, if I ever felt the desire to conquer such obstacles I would be using a purpose built rig, like a tube chassis crawler on 40s, not the vehicle I daily and vacation with. 98% of both Wrangler and Bronco buyers would never attempt something like this. I've seen similarly-stock JK and JLs break things on trails doing less than this. Solid front axle doesn't mean invincible.

combatninja

Banned
Wildtrak
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ND Miata, Land Rover Defender 110, Porsche 911
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I guess I just don't understand the point of just driving up stuff just to do it. The 4 x 4 exists to get me where I want to go. I'm not going to just take a truck out and flog it to see if I can drive over something. I think of it kind of like going to the gym and doing crazy ballistic powerlifting to see if you'll get hurt or not.

Sponsored

Blaylock1988

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco, 2004 Volkswagen R32
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I cant remember who but someone at Super Celebrstion west mentioned the tie rods being weak. I guess carry spares since the are small when going on tough trails. Or bring some welding rods, jumper cables, and borrow a 2nd battery to do a quick fix to get off the trail.

Happytown

Badlands
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 F150 Eco SCREW 4WD
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ford Bronco 2021 Bronco snaps both tie rods valiantly on extreme obstacle (Queens Throne obstacle on K2 trail) 20210905_111017

This is the electric power steering rack I just replaced on my F150. I assume it is a similar unit on the Bronco. If you zoom in you'll the new tie rod ends that thread onto the tie rods themselves. The tie rods are sticking out of the boots on the end. A few things come to mind as I read through this thread, would like to hear others thoughts

1. If the actual tie ROD itself snapped, not just the tie rod end, I don't think that part is individually replaceable on the EPS unit. Even if it is, I believe you are dropping the entire rack to work on it. Probably not happening on the trail.
  2. Are the tie rods on SFA suspension made any different? Would SFA have made any difference here? I gues my point is, the AXLE didn't break, the tie rod did. Seems like both IFS and SFA would have tie rods that would see similar steering forces during these maneuvers.

Disclaimer: I am not a mechanic, I just play one on the weekends when I am forced to. Also, no rock crawling experience, we literally don't have any rocks in Louisiana. This is what off roading means to me:

Ford Bronco 2021 Bronco snaps both tie rods valiantly on extreme obstacle (Queens Throne obstacle on K2 trail) 20211002_105208

Virtual-Chris

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It’s interesting to me how nearly ever thread discussing a Bronco component failure on these forums is assumed to be driver error and not a potential design or component flaw. Just like the first reported engine failure had everyone jumping to the conclusion the guy had got sand into his engine, when it turned out to be a dropped valve and one of at least a few such failures.

Based on the video, this didn’t seem that crazy to me. And doesn’t the fact both snapped not signal some kind of issue? The reliability of these machines was already starting to concern me… this incident isn’t helping.

dcg2

Badlands
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda CR-V
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

How do you brake both tie rod ends🤷‍♂️
Why are people saying he broke both tie rods? Left wheel is turned to the left, right is lazy eye due to tie rod break.
Sponsored