Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

If the actual tie ROD itself snapped, not just the tie rod end, I don't think that part is individually replaceable on the EPS unit. Even if it is, I believe you are dropping the entire rack to work on it. Probably not happening on the trail.
FWIW, your F-150 and the new Bronco do both have serviceable nner rods AND Outer tie rod ends.
It may exist, but Iā€™ve never seen a steering rack that didnā€™t have both with serviceable parts.

F-150
Ford Bronco 2021 Bronco snaps both tie rods valiantly on extreme obstacle (Queens Throne obstacle on K2 trail) 383E91B6-9F0F-4169-BB5E-F2375A8957A8

Bronco
Ford Bronco 2021 Bronco snaps both tie rods valiantly on extreme obstacle (Queens Throne obstacle on K2 trail) 814F6902-9D2D-4ECE-9883-B8A3F2DA4CDE

should not require removal of the EPAS rack in either case.
Sponsored

Lazerus

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL. Land Rover Discovery Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Are the tie rods on SFA suspension made any different? Would SFA have made any difference here? I gues my point is, the AXLE didn't break, the tie rod did. Seems like both IFS and SFA would have tie rods that would see similar steering forces during these maneuvers
The tie rod on the JL is pretty beefy even in stock form.
Ford Bronco 2021 Bronco snaps both tie rods valiantly on extreme obstacle (Queens Throne obstacle on K2 trail) remove-stock-jl-tie-rod

That isn't to say it can't be broken - though you are more likely to simply bend it. Shoot we have a trail out here called 'Tie Rod Canyon' - so named because someone once broke a tie rod on the trail and dug it in to the ground as a monument to how difficult the trail can be.
It's part of why Jeep has stuck with the recirculating ball steering system over rack and pinion. It's simply more robust - but it inherently has more 'play' than the R&P. Everything in life is a trade-off

mjohnso3

Black Diamond
First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I guess I just don't understand the point of just driving up stuff just to do it. The 4 x 4 exists to get me where I want to go. I'm not going to just take a truck out and flog it to see if I can drive over something. I think of it kind of like going to the gym and doing crazy ballistic powerlifting to see if you'll get hurt or not.
That's true for most people, but there's always the " hold my beer" or " ya'll watch this" crowd that keeps the rest of us entertained.

JPG

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I donā€™t believe that to be true. I have seen broken axels without broken tie rods quite often. I have only seen one bent tie rod. On tough trails I carry a spare axel, rear shock, and front coil over. I may carry a tie rod now as well but I have never had an issue and I havenā€™t been with anyone that has.
Corrected, you are right. ( It was a late night post in my defense šŸ™ƒ )

Sponsored

Bronco_joe

Black Diamond
First Name
joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

There are few companies developing stronger outer tie rods but nothing on inner tie rods. I don't think I've ever seen a beefier inner rod. Looks like it snapped right at the jam nut.

jd-ford-hd

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜16 Explorer, ā€˜13 F150, ā€˜99 F350, '74 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
  1. Are the tie rods on SFA suspension made any different? Would SFA have made any difference here? I gues my point is, the AXLE didn't break, the tie rod did. Seems like both IFS and SFA would have tie rods that would see similar steering forces during these maneuvers.
THANK YOU..!!

Felix808

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After 746 days, a MY22 4-door Badlands Bronco :-)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

FWIW, your F-150 and the new Bronco do both have serviceable nner rods AND Outer tie rod ends.
It may exist, but Iā€™ve never seen a steering rack that didnā€™t have both with serviceable parts.

F-150
Ford Bronco 2021 Bronco snaps both tie rods valiantly on extreme obstacle (Queens Throne obstacle on K2 trail) remove-stock-jl-tie-rod

Bronco

Yep, really not that hard of a repair if you have parts on hand & a jack stand :cool:

Sponsored

BigFootie

Heritage
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 ES-350, 2022 Badlands Sport, 2023 Heritage Ed
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

BigFootie

Heritage
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 ES-350, 2022 Badlands Sport, 2023 Heritage Ed
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

How do you brake both tie rod endsšŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø
By using the ā€œbreakā€ pedal! Sorry, couldnā€™t help myself. I canā€™t spell either as Iā€™m sure many have noticed! :cool:

Schmack B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

F-150
Ford Bronco 2021 Bronco snaps both tie rods valiantly on extreme obstacle (Queens Throne obstacle on K2 trail) 1633265481238

Bronco
Ford Bronco 2021 Bronco snaps both tie rods valiantly on extreme obstacle (Queens Throne obstacle on K2 trail) 1633265481238

This.
Although i would not want to tackle a inner tie rod on the trail.
Sponsored