Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hard to tell with video sped up but when it starts to bounce you have to let off it quick before you break.
I’m gonna go out on a limb here and posit that the owner’s choices about the speed of the video and the accompanying music provides a little insight into his “send it” mentality. ;)
Sponsored

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Hard to tell with video sped up but when it starts to bounce you have to let off it quick before you break.
Sorry, I can see maybe breaking an axle there, locked up, but on no planet should a tie rod be breaking, from that little bit of bouncing.

area51dude

Big Bend
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Big Bend and Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Everyone has seen this pic:

2021 Ford Bronco broken tie rods.jpeg

Well, they were trying to climb the Queens Throne obstacle on K2 trail, here:

C86545A8-9A8F-4680-8CDF-209D064DCE30.jpeg

Closeup of the damage:

B8F8878A-E143-4E68-81F8-8908ADA9328C.jpeg
if you aren't breaking something, then you aren't trying pushing it hard enough!

Skydoc

Badlands
First Name
Ethan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F350 , LS3 V8 Jeep Wrangler jku
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sorry, I can see maybe breaking an axle there, locked up, but on no planet should a tie rod be breaking, from that little bit of bouncing.
You are correct but its the first time we have seen them handle it like this. Who knows why they were so weak

Sponsored

Ingridthehorrible

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Chevy 2500HD, 2008 Buell 1125R, 98 Buell S1W
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
definitely found the weak link, also clear case of YT/TT wannabe looking for their 15 mins of fame or shame as it maybe. Good luck with the warranty claim once Ford pulls the "id ten t" code from the computer.

As to temp field repairs this is a good reason to carry some short pieces of angle iron and u-bolts to make a splint

Ripcurl

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DodgeRam 1500 Laramie, HarleyDavidson 48
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

goatman

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch of Jeeps
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

<sigh> I'll briefly assume you will actually read this....

You're misunderstanding the original suggestion

The suggestion is that the TIE ROD is supposed to be the first thing to break in the STEERING, Not the entire vehicle... A weak Tie Rod can protect the steering rack, a much more expensive and harder to replace on the trail piece.

You think your Stereo's fuse has F'all to do with your ignition?
I understand I likely over responded to the post. What I didn't agree with was that the steering is designed to be the weak link. That's what was said, and that's what I responded to. It was also said that the steering should not be strengthened so it stays the weak link. I don't agree with that. We're looking at this one rock crawling scenario. But, many more times the tires are going to hit rocks and things at speed. I simply don't agree that we want the steering to be the weak link. Make the steering strong, I'll deal with whatever else happens.

So, sure, if you're going to pick something to break in a slow rock crawling scenario, maybe a tie rod is what you'd choose in this situation. Really, the tie rod bent initially and then it bent far enough that it broke. The tie rod joint didn't break, the tie rod bent far enough to break. Personally, like I said, I'd rather have a ball joint break, because I can drive out on a broken ball joint. I'd rather have an axle break, I can drive out on a broken axle. I can't drive out on a broken tie rod when the tires are going different directions. Heck, I could drive out on a broken rack and pinion, I've done it with a broken sector shaft in a steering gear box. We hooked a winch to the knuckle and drove out slowly using the winch to steer, switching the winch from side to side to keep it going where we wanted. But, the tires were till hooked together and I drove out. Can't drive out with broken tie rods and the tires pointing off in different directions. Sure, if you have a welder and can weld a wrench or something to the tie rod you can do a trail fix, but if you can't do that then you have to go out and someone bring you a tie rod so you can drive out.

So, yes, I have a different perspective on this. Agree or disagree, but I have explained clearly my perspective. There are usually more than one good perspectives.

TakeNoGuff

Badlands
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Armada, Dodge Ram 2500 4x4, Soon Bronco BL
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I wonder if it broke backing down or while still attempting the climb?:unsure:

Sponsored

Frankie945

Base
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Q50
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Is this the 2nd bronco that broke or maybe a 3rd. Not my video. If it’s the 3rd this is becoming very disappointing.

Last edited:

WuNgUn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door Squatched
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yes they are significantly different. SFA uses a significantly beefier Tie Rod and a Drag Link to accomplish what the 2 Tie Rods on IFS do. Ignore the aftermarket axle, the steering components here are factory JLU Rubicon.
1633362799789.png
Works good on dump trucks 👍🏻

TRMFAM

First Edition
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
66 & 73 Bronco, 21 MDX A-Spec, 20 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I understand I likely over responded to the post. What I didn't agree with was that the steering is designed to be the weak link. That's what was said, and that's what I responded to. It was also said that the steering should not be strengthened so it stays the weak link. I don't agree with that. We're looking at this one rock crawling scenario. But, many more times the tires are going to hit rocks and things at speed. I simply don't agree that we want the steering to be the weak link. Make the steering strong, I'll deal with whatever else happens.

So, sure, if you're going to pick something to break in a slow rock crawling scenario, maybe a tie rod is what you'd choose in this situation. Really, the tie rod bent initially and then it bent far enough that it broke. The tie rod joint didn't break, the tie rod bent far enough to break. Personally, like I said, I'd rather have a ball joint break, because I can drive out on a broken ball joint. I'd rather have an axle break, I can drive out on a broken axle. I can't drive out on a broken tie rod when the tires are going different directions. Heck, I could drive out on a broken rack and pinion, I've done it with a broken sector shaft in a steering gear box. We hooked a winch to the knuckle and drove out slowly using the winch to steer, switching the winch from side to side to keep it going where we wanted. But, the tires were till hooked together and I drove out. Can't drive out with broken tie rods and the tires pointing off in different directions. Sure, if you have a welder and can weld a wrench or something to the tie rod you can do a trail fix, but if you can't do that then you have to go out and someone bring you a tie rod so you can drive out.

So, yes, I have a different perspective on this. Agree or disagree, but I have explained clearly my perspective. There are usually more than one good perspectives.
I agree completely with you...I think I have broken everything you listed above in my EB's and the tie rod was the worst to get off the mountain and back to camp...and a close 2nd was ripping the brake line off the front axle and having to be lowered all the way down strapped to someone behind me.

The idea the tie rod is a weak link for the axle is not even logical and trust me if you manage to break one of the a-arms your biggest concern should be the frame b/c you have better than 50/50 chance you totaled it. The weak link for the rack I can agree on but from the 3rd truck posted so far it may be too weak. And the idea you would not strengthen the weak link? I get 90% of these vehicles toughest off-road condition will be a gravel road but why post about what you don't understand as if it is fact?

We have several spots in our town where the roads make an odd angle turn and little curbs jut out and most are missing good chunks of concrete because they have been hit so many times and if I am reading several of these posts if I hit one of those the drag link is supposed to break? If so, Ford better give the legal department a warno b/c a lot of bad wrecks are going to start coming in.

Shinoko

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Is this the 2nd bronco that broke or maybe a 3rd. Not my video. If it’s the 3rd this is becoming very disappointing.
If you follow the thread on FB, there is another person there that has broken theirs twice and broken a rack. I think I read about another somewhere else, also.

Running theme on all of them was rock crawling with 37s. Appears at least two were on really steep inclines with the front wheels trying to get over a ledge.
Sponsored