Sponsored

2021 Bronco SPECS??? - Anything Confirmed?

Ole Skool Bronc

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CJ3B Willys, 1G Bronco, TJ Jeep, Dodge Diesel.
  • Banned
New BroncoBronco Experts;

(me say'n): "We don't need no stink'n pics", I want SPEC's - anyone have any?

Please Fill in the Blank - ONLY if is "Confirmed" for a Rubicon Competitor.

Engine: _______________________
Auto Transmission:______________
Man Transmission:______________
Transfer case: _________________
Front Differential:_______________
Rear Differential: _______________
Front Suspension: ______________
Rear Suspension: ______________

Please Fill in the Blank - if it is an very good educated probability for a Rubicon Competitor.

Engine: ____________________
Auto Transmission:____________
Man Transmission:____________
Transfer case: _______________
Front Differential:_____________
Rear Differential: _____________
Front Suspension: ____________
Rear Suspension: ____________
Sponsored

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
New BroncoBronco Experts;

(me say'n): "We don't need no stink'n pics", I want SPEC's - anyone have any?

Please Fill in the Blank - ONLY if is "Confirmed" for a Rubicon Competitor.
That would mean the BroncoBronco itself is a blank/"no" on being confirmed as anything other than existing eventually. Absolutely nothing is confirmed as a "Rubicon competitor" -- Ford has given us zero objective information on the Bronco's capability. Unless you set the bar low enough to accept "confirmation" from sources that are 100% anonymous or otherwise internet rumors -- as plausible or probable as they may seem, very little is "confirmed" by most standards.

Ford has told us:
  • Something called "Bronco" will exist ... eventually.
  • Bronco will have a hybrid powertrain ... eventually.
  • Bronco will share some important structural components with some version of a thing called "Ranger"
  • Bronco will be built in the same facility as the Ranger.
  • An image depicting an object which is about as vehicle like as a Matchbox car dipped in pudding was said to be representative of what Bronco would look like.

Those are the only objective things we know about it.

OP
OP
Ole Skool Bronc

Ole Skool Bronc

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
  • Banned
That would mean the BroncoBronco itself is a blank/"no" on being confirmed as anything other than existing eventually. Absolutely nothing is confirmed as a "Rubicon competitor" -- Ford has given us zero objective information on the Bronco's capability. Unless you set the bar low enough to accept "confirmation" from sources that are 100% anonymous or otherwise internet rumors -- as plausible or probable as they may seem, very little is "confirmed" by most standards.

Ford has told us:
  • Something called "Bronco" will exist ... eventually.
  • Bronco will have a hybrid powertrain ... eventually.
  • Bronco will share some important structural components with some version of a thing called "Ranger"
  • Bronco will be built in the same facility as the Ranger.
  • An image depicting an object which is about as vehicle like as a Matchbox car dipped in pudding was said to be representative of what Bronco would look like.

Those are the only objective things we know about it.
Wow!
I had no idea there was this little...virtually zero information.
I made a lot of mental assumptions based on what Ford did with the 5th gen Mustang. Admittedly that was 15 years ago and a lot has changed in the auto industry.

If Ford is going to build a "hybrid" it seems to indicate they are building a true or ultimate "Sport Utility Vehicle" and not a real Off Roader. In other words; when Ford says they are going to compete head to head with the Wrangler; they mean in the soccer mom kind of way. And all this time I misunderstood, assuming they meant in the Rubicon kind of way.

If this is what is happening, then Ford is missing the FACT the Wrangler became popular first because of its 'cool status' as an off road machine then secondly as SUV. It would seem they are trying to capitalize on the 66-77 Bronco reputation/name without actually building one and going instead straight to the SUV? I guess it could work? But I kinda don't think so because without the real thing, the new SUV Bronco will never have earned its 'street cred' in the eyes of the general public. Which is the reason so many just had to buy a Rubicon even though they never have or know how to put it in low range. If Ford is going primarily after and straight to the SUV market, then all this Baby Bronco stuff is starting to make sense.

I guess I'm getting old and out of touch with modern society's wants and needs. I just remember when the Bronco came out and literally kicked Jeep's ass. I guess I was hoping for a come back.

Thanks for the straight info.
Guess I ought to just forget about all this until I have a chance to actually crawl under one.

BroncoBuyer

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC
Your Bronco Model
Base
I wish the word “hybrid” technology which has so much negative stigma attached to it since the Prius would just go away.
Funny how turbo 4 cylinder motors like the ecoboost doesn’t shun people but mention hybrid and it’s time for a lynching.

Jake_zx2

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
If Ford is going to build a "hybrid" it seems to indicate they are building a true or ultimate "Sport Utility Vehicle" and not a real Off Roader. In other words; when Ford says they are going to compete head to head with the Wrangler; they mean in the soccer mom kind of way. And all this time I misunderstood, assuming they meant in the Rubicon kind of way.
You DO realize that there's a hybrid Wrangler right now, right?

Also of note, Ford never ACTUALLY said they're competing head-to-head with the Wrangler

Sponsored

Toyhoarder

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Early Bronco, F-150, F-450
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My OPINION based on rumors, hearsay, spy shots, current Ford offerings, and my own SWAG:

Please Fill in the Blank - if it is an very good educated probability for a 4Runner Competitor.

Engine: 2.3 at launch, hybrid later, 2.7 later on Raptor or other higher trims

Auto Transmission: 10 speed auto
Man Transmission: rumors of 7 speed

Transfer case: 2hi, 4hi, 2.x:1 4lo. 4A on higher trims. No 4:1 ratio like the Rubis.

Front Differential: open, limited slip later on Raptor or Tremor
Rear Differential: elocker available

Front Suspension: IFS similar to the current Ranger
Rear Suspension: watts linkage like Ranger Raptor

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ole Skool Bronc

Ole Skool Bronc

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
  • Banned
I wish the word “hybrid” technology which has so much negative stigma attached to it since the Prius would just go away.
Funny how turbo 4 cylinder motors like the ecoboost doesn’t shun people but mention hybrid and it’s time for a lynching.
When I hear "Hybrid" I think internal combustion engine + generator + electric motor + batteries.

Technically if it's a straight up internal combustion engine it's not a "Hybrid"

OP
OP
Ole Skool Bronc

Ole Skool Bronc

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
  • Banned
My OPINION based on rumors, hearsay, spy shots, current Ford offerings, and my own SWAG:

Please Fill in the Blank - if it is an very good educated probability for a 4Runner Competitor.

Engine: 2.3 at launch, hybrid later, 2.7 later on Raptor or other higher trims

Auto Transmission: 10 speed auto
Man Transmission: rumors of 7 speed

Transfer case: 2hi, 4hi, 2.x:1 4lo. 4A on higher trims. No 4:1 ratio like the Rubis.

Front Differential: open, limited slip later on Raptor or Tremor
Rear Differential: elocker available

Front Suspension: IFS similar to the current Ranger
Rear Suspension: watts linkage like Ranger Raptor
Thank you.
I just saw the TFC Car&Driver reviews; yes looks like a 2.3 eco boost. Never driven one so I can't comment. 7 sp Manual - that's a lot of shifting going on, unless there is a granny low to skip and a high overdrive. As for the rest, guess I gotta wait, but I am going to go look at a Ranger and Raptor IFS and get an idea what they might do.

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Wow!
I had no idea there was this little...virtually zero information.
And now you have a better understanding why some people react brusquely when confronted with a lot of questions and declarations. Ford has been extremely tight lipped about the Bronco.

90% or more of the conversations and "news" articles are rumors and speculation. And a few of those plausible rumors have been denied by Ford, but not in a way that would actually tell us anything useful.

... Ford says they are going to compete head to head with the Wrangler; they mean in the soccer mom kind of way. And all this time I misunderstood, assuming they meant in the Rubicon kind of way....
Ford hasn't said anything of the sort, not publicly. Saying "we intend to compete with X" would give us an objective benchmark with which to compare the Bronco, but the closest we have to that is just a PowerPoint type slide that says "Beat Jeep" ... 'Jeep' not Wrangler. And we have no clue in what way they would like to "beat" them. Again, just more speculation.

Beat Jeep skv-5852-1542133809.jpg

This is the best we've got for Ford's intentions for capability ... which is pretty damn useless for gaining any kind of objective understanding.

BroncoMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'71 Bronco, '02 Excursion
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
"Beat Jeep" to a room full of "principals" likely had nothing to do with our definitions of performance and capability. Those people don't have the slightest interest what the off-road performance is - they want sales figures, that's their "performance" metric.

One might speculate that the two go hand in hand, but it ain't necessarily so.

Sponsored

Wanted33

Outer Banks
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2019 Wrangler, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I can say that Ford's 10 spd is/has been a good transmission. My wife's Mustang GT has one, and it seems to know which gear it needs to be in without a lot of changing. The only aggravating thing is that it wants to lug the engine on many occasions. But, I'm sure that has more to do with Ford trying to meet EPA standards than the transmission itself.

OP
OP
Ole Skool Bronc

Ole Skool Bronc

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The only aggravating thing is that it wants to lug the engine on many occasions.
Every auto I've owned lugged down in mountain driving. Maybe they are out there but I've never seen one.
Sponsored