dnvrBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Highlander, Outback, 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It's been a while since Physics class, but it made me think of "moment" and "moment of force", most often referred to as "torque". Even though I now use a hitch-mounted bike rack, I will be switching to the spare tire mounted variety.

DC9atnight

Black Diamond
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Got the Ford's on two vehicles and have had the Weathertechs on two others. I'll be buyng weathertechs for my Bronco. Nothing wrong with the Ford's, but for the same ballpark price, i'd rather have the weathertechs.
Thanks for the tip on weathertech. Have you ever tried the Hothead ones?

Tony2x67

Badlands
First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Like others have said, the 1UP USA rack is the way to go. Mine clears a 33" tire on a wheel with -12 backspacing that I have on my Wrangler. The rack folds down so you can open the tailgate. The only hassle is that you need to take the bike off to do that. Otherwise, the gate only opens partially. Since most times I need access to the tailgate I either haven't loaded the bike yet or I just took it off to ride, it hasn't really been an issue for me.

Don't know much about the Bronco tailgate hinges yet. On the Jeep if you want to hang a 33" tire with a bike rack and bike off the tailgate, you're most likely going to upgrade your hinges like I did. It'll be interesting to see how the Bronco holds up. I was holding off until MY '22 or '23 anyway, so maybe I'll know by then...

tshaw2009

Base
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 F150 Lariat, 2018 Ford Edge Titanium
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

That sticks out quite a bit. Wouldn't you need a flag for that in some states?
In some States I would say yes. Here in Missouri, an object has to extend past the rear of the vehicle by 5 feet before it needs a flag or light if travelling at night. Personally, the bike rack they put on this Bronco is rather obnoxious with how far it protrudes past the rear of the vehicle. Just tow a trailer with your bikes at this rate as it is almost the same. Wait a bit and the aftermarket will hopefully bring a solution that will not make you look like a goofball.

Sponsored

pan-y-cerveza

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma Pro
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Don't know much about the Bronco tailgate hinges yet. On the Jeep if you want to hang a 33" tire with a bike rack and bike off the tailgate, you're most likely going to upgrade your hinges like I did. It'll be interesting to see how the Bronco holds up. I was holding off until MY '22 or '23 anyway, so maybe I'll know by then...
There are a few good tire racks out there (the Saris rack with tray being my number one choice) but as you say....hanging a rack and two trail bikes off the hinges isn't my ideal scenario either.

I just solidified my order for a 2021 Rocky Mountain Instinct this afternoon. Should be here in March. So I'm just imagining it, on the back of my Cactus Grey Bronco, but without the janky Yakima rack (a 1Up obviously) and the janky soft-top.

2021 will be a good year.

LadyBronco

Wildtrak
First Name
Dani
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Roller skates 🛼
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

We recently caught this four-door Bronco Big Bend testing with a hitch-mounted Yakima bike rack. It’s our first look at a bike rack set up on the new Bronco, and gives us an idea of its application with the rear-mounted spare tire.

The bike rack is mounted to a Ford receiver extension, which comes in shorter versions for a less extended set up.

2021  BroncoBikeRack.g05.KGP.jpg

2021  BroncoBikeRack.g00.KGP.jpg

2021  BroncoBikeRack.g01.KGP.jpg

2021  BroncoBikeRack.g02.KGP.jpg

2021  BroncoBikeRack.g03.KGP.jpg

2021  BroncoBikeRack.g04.KGP.jpg
Cactus grey looks really great in these pics! ?Thanks for posting! Great find!

jaspercasidino

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

In some pictures I can maybe get a hint of green from Cactus Grey if I stare at it long enough and look for green. This is straight up wet cement color. I know a lot has to do with lighting, but man that color is boring. I'm with @Rick Astley on this one and choosing a COLOR!!!

Bacon

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4 Dr IS MIC Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

They sell better ones that do exactly what you describe.
1610133989293.png
Quadratec sells a heavy duty extension for 2 in hitch that keeps the rack just clear of the spare tire. We have a 4 bike allen rack on it for our 4 door wrangler and everything is solid as can be.. NO Play in it at all.. rack lowers to let tailgate open, easy set up.

Quadratec also had the 4 bolt hitch with wire harness for the wrangler that we added ourselves since we are not doing any towing. Saved a bunch on a dealer added hitch. Wonder if the Bronco will have a bolt configuration for after market hitch?

Sponsored

Broncoak

Badlands
First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 FSB
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Quadratec sells a heavy duty extension for 2 in hitch that keeps the rack just clear of the spare tire. We have a 4 bike allen rack on it for our 4 door wrangler and everything is solid as can be.. NO Play in it at all.. rack lowers to let tailgate open, easy set up.

Quadratec also had the 4 bolt hitch with wire harness for the wrangler that we added ourselves since we are not doing any towing. Saved a bunch on a dealer added hitch. Wonder if the Bronco will have a bolt configuration for after market hitch?
I have something very similar, just a different brand, but works just like you describe. Very happy with it. It'll fit 4 bikes very snug, but you have to pad it a bit to prevent them from rubbing on each other. I wouldn't pay for one through Ford to save $$$.

Last edited:

mdonathan56

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Bad,2016 Q5 TDI, 2009 Honda Element EX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Headsong

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Black Diamond non squatch 4 door softtop v6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

While I’ll use a hitch mount for my multi bike rack, I’m also going to get a tire mount rack that will stay more snug against the vehicle and swing away with the rear door like this one on a wrangler.

969CDCC6-A4F9-4094-8D7A-1F22FBDC70DD.jpeg

BDE805D0-8F08-4A5F-BFDE-DB4E7805686F.jpeg
I like that.

Rigsurly

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

While I’ll use a hitch mount for my multi bike rack, I’m also going to get a tire mount rack that will stay more snug against the vehicle and swing away with the rear door like this one on a wrangler.

969CDCC6-A4F9-4094-8D7A-1F22FBDC70DD.jpeg

BDE805D0-8F08-4A5F-BFDE-DB4E7805686F.jpeg
What model rack is that?
Sponsored