Reaction score
Website
www.brokeninnovation.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands non-sas 4 door manual
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Chrispy...the Hershey analogy doesn't hold.

An inflation calculator shows that '69 - '69 cost translating to $21K - $22.5K; certainly Bronco will come close to doubling that.

CAFE/safety is partly to blame, but reality is in the late '60s you were buying a "car" - today you're buying a 'start-up screen' and heated seats.

Those vehicles of the 60s must have been made of unobtanium - because you sure can't buy one today.
Inflation is only part of the equation, safety as you rightfully pointed out is another huge investment, and lastly as others have pointed out you have environmental regulations both in the product and manufacturing that drive costs (labor costs too, sheesh)

All that might bring it about equal in cost and that's not even touching on the vast increase in value to the customer. Things like the screen may seem gimmicky, but overall you are getting wayyy more vehicle for your dollar than in the past. By any measure, mass, power, mileage, payload, towing, features... the list goes on. Some people don't agree on the value of these things, but that's what the market is for.
Sponsored

Tslater1989

Badlands
First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 f150, 2016 explorer, 97 f150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Inflation is only part of the equation, safety as you rightfully pointed out is another huge investment, and lastly as others have pointed out you have environmental regulations both in the product and manufacturing that drive costs (labor costs too, sheesh)

All that might bring it about equal in cost and that's not even touching on the vast increase in value to the customer. Things like the screen may seem gimmicky, but overall you are getting wayyy more vehicle for your dollar than in the past. By any measure, mass, power, mileage, payload, towing, features... the list goes on. Some people don't agree on the value of these things, but that's what the market is for.
Not to mention, longevity. Cars from the 60-70's, 100k miles, usually meant that it was wore out, borderline junk yard material. Obviously there are going to be exceptions to the rule. but generally speaking this holds true. Today, 250k on a vehicle is commonplace. Unfortunately, that translates to high prices on used vehicles, well that and cash for clunkers destroyed the used car market.
now dont get me wrong, There are modern vehicles with short lifespans, lemons, if you will. But a vast majority of late model cars and trucks will hit 200k miles before they are considered worn out. So couple that with stringent safety measures, usually meaning there are 6+ airbags in most vehicles. The constant push to decrease emissions, which some people confuse with increasing fuel economy. Much like my old school uncle who swears his nova with a 350 sbc in the 70s, got better mpg's than a prius. but just starting that car probably put more pollutants in the air than a prius running 24 hours straight would. So you couple all of that with the cost of employees, fluctuating materials costs ec. etc.

Carolina Jim

Black Diamond
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Teocali & Tslater...good points all - especially "Reliability", which in & of itself gives me comfort to get off the beaten path.

But other advantages of today's era are: CAD/CAM, process automation, ZD/JIT supply chain, and almost zero cost of capital. In comparison to mid-20th century, back then Every manufactured item was precious - evidenced by ubiquitous repair shops in every strip mall. Today toasters, TVs, radios are tossed because they're so cheap to replace.

When you're my age, you've benefited from Einstein's observation that “the most powerful force in the universe is compound interest”, so I can buy toys. But vehicles today are obscenely expensive; today's average car loan length exceeds five years.

SpursFan

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
350r, F150, Expedition, Cayenne and the others.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

BroncoMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'71 Bronco, '02 Excursion
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Actually, they list the Navigator as #50 on their list, the exact opposite of #1.

"Another domestic SUV that doesn’t sell in large quantities is the Lincoln Navigator. The premium SUV sold in a little less than 2,500 examples, but as the all-new Navigator is on the market, we can expect some growth in sales figures."

It fails to mention that is a MONTHLY sales figure. Ford went to quarterly reporting beginning in CY2019.

Further, the "article" refers to the "next Navigator" - indicating that this article was written prior to the April 2017 unveiling of the 4th gen model. They show a pic of the 3rd gen model. The Crosstrek they show is also a 2017 model. Very old news, and I'm smearing the entire industry by using the term.

Their #11 listed Fiat 500X is said to be "the worst selling car in the segment" with 1,966 sold... yet, according to their reportage, the Lexus LX (#45) clocked in at 1,491 sales. They don't specify what "the segment" means to them, or what it should mean to the reader.

They list the Fiat 500X twice (#11 and #38), discerning the 500X Pop from the 500X - that would be like separating the Jeep Wrangler Rubicon sales numbers from the Jeep Wrangelr Sahara, and Willy's, and Sport, and Moab, etc.

Tesla Model X is listed as #16, yet every one manufactured is sold.

Laughably, they list the Jeep Wrangler as their #10 pick of "SUVs Nobody is Buying". There is almost never a Wrangler NOT in sight when on a major road here.

There sure are a lot of their examples on the road for them to be SUVs that nobody is buying. I see many of them every day.

I could go on, but I have things to do today.

I'm not certain there is a single correctly reported statistic in that fluff piece. It is a site intended to generate clicks and ad revenue, not provide real information. If sites like this is where you are going to become a more informed consumer, you're doing it wrong.

Sponsored

Tslater1989

Badlands
First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Teocali & Tslater...good points all - especially "Reliability", which in & of itself gives me comfort to get off the beaten path.

But other advantages of today's era are: CAD/CAM, process automation, ZD/JIT supply chain, and almost zero cost of capital. In comparison to mid-20th century, back then Every manufactured item was precious - evidenced by ubiquitous repair shops in every strip mall. Today toasters, TVs, radios are tossed because they're so cheap to replace.

When you're my age, you've benefited from Einstein's observation that “the most powerful force in the universe is compound interest”, so I can buy toys. But vehicles today are obscenely expensive; today's average car loan length exceeds five years.
I work for an automotive supplier. I know what your talking about. Its no different than buying through a broker. Things change hands so many times, and everyone gets their profit margin. In the end, its the consumer who pays for it. We deal with customers always pushing every penny saved because it adds up in the end. I know how the system works from the inside, and some of the dirty secrets that go with it.

For perspective, the cost of living where I'm at is relatively low. For example, new vehicles regularly sell for more than I am paying for my house. 60k for a 3 bed 2 bath house on 2 acres, with a 26x50 pole barn. So personally I could not justify 65k for a new truck. That being said. I know thats the market now, which is disparaging. I'm comfortable at about 40k with vehicle pricing.

Carolina Jim

Black Diamond
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Tslater Location: Central Michigan

Take a Brittany or a setter up to Republic or Lake Gogebic in the Yooper...perfect time to have your heart stopped by a majestic grouse flush!

Tslater1989

Badlands
First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Tslater Location: Central Michigan

Take a Brittany or a setter up to Republic or Lake Gogebic in the Yooper...perfect time to have your heart stopped by a majestic grouse flush!
You act like we all talk like them goofs up in the great white north. Lol. Had setters growing up. I switched to a chocolate lab. Havent been to U.P. for an actual visit in years. Maybe I should take the wife and kids up there this weekend.... Fall up there is gorgeous.

BroncoBoy22

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'11 Mustang GT 5.0
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
A NICKEL!!!

Bahahaha ok I laughed out loud at this one Chrispy :cwl: You’re my guy man :thumbsup:

Sherminiator

Big Bend
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

The rumor I saw is that this is actually for the Baby Bronco and not for the Actual BOF Bronco.

For people bitching about pricing-the average transaction cost of a new car is roughly $37,285-cars aren't cheap anymore! Yeah its nuts, but then again I did pay $47K for a SHO, but I had $4500 off and Z plan pricing on it. Personally I'm hoping I can keep my Bronco payment around $400 a month over 5-6 years...starting to save now and hopefully don't get fucked on my trade in too badly.

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands