securitysix

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota Tundra
-Sync 4 with over the air updates and 4GLTE
I just trolled myself a little bit. I live in a place where the best option for non-dial-up Internet is cellular hotspots, and I frequently use all of my 4G hotspot data on both my MiFi hotspot and my cell phone. I just had the thought "Hey, when I'm out of data now, I can just connect to the hotspot on my Bronco!"

How retarded is that? :p

Also, I'm pretty sure (and feel free to correct me if I'm wrong) that actually having the 4G LTE active and usable requires paying an extra monthly subscription. If that's the case, is it locked to a particular provider, and if so, which one?

- 8” touch screen
A thing I could do without, but screens in new vehicles are unavoidable. I guess 8" is as close as we'll get to avoiding a brobdingnagian screen.

- at minimum Ford 360 up to 360+ (hands free will likely be optional)
Please tell me that at least most of these nannies can be turned off.

I got stuck with a rental Camry one time that I had to figure out how to disable the lane departure warning on, because it would go off for no reason. For real, if I can't turn that off in the Bronco, I won't buy one.

-Auto On and off headlights
One thing I miss about my Sonoma. My Tundra doesn't have them, and while I'm used to it now, I do miss the auto on/off headlights.

- smart phone connectivity
My Tundra has that! Well, OK, it has an aux port. And my phone doesn't have an aux jack, so I have to use a USB to aux adapter...and the USB port on my phone is broken, so I can't connect it to my truck anymore....

Seriously, though, this is a bit of tech that won't sell me on a car, but it won't make me refuse to buy one, either.

Advertisement

BroncoJeremie

First Name
Jeremie
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Ford F-150
Vehicle Showcase
The full size broncos had room for 5 plus more cargo than a 4dr jk. The ability to haul full sheets of plywood or 1000 plus lbs of stuff. As for driving, more lincoln like than a cj or yj. Heavy but not too heavy. And will follow a cj or yj on comperable tires about 92% as far as the jeeps go offroad. Also the new 4 door will be almost identical in size. New one will have more power but likely less payload, not by too much though. Really i think it will be like the fsb if you put a cage in one and added more crash safety stuff to the inside making the interior smaller.

I have been lining mine up with various rangers and they are quite similar in size. The new bronco 2 door will be the only one close to the small size agility of the early broncos.
Ok I am just gonna say it, the FSB was just a f-150 with bed cap on

laj.tuxmek

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Focus ST
Also, I'm pretty sure (and feel free to correct me if I'm wrong) that actually having the 4G LTE active and usable requires paying an extra monthly subscription. If that's the case, is it locked to a particular provider, and if so, which one?
Ford uses AT&T for the 4G LTE hotspot. Subscriptions are $10-20/mo (based on data limit) if you are an AT&T customer, or $15-25/mo if you aren't an AT&T customer.
Please tell me that at least most of these nannies can be turned off.

I got stuck with a rental Camry one time that I had to figure out how to disable the lane departure warning on, because it would go off for no reason. For real, if I can't turn that off in the Bronco, I won't buy one.
The lane keeping system can be turned off simply by hitting a button at the end of the turn indicator stalk. Super easy. Also, if you just stay in your lane, it won't ever bother you. ;)

MaverickMan

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj 80 amc eagle 85 cj7 laredo 79 ford quadravan(inoperable due to tragic fire)
Ok I am just gonna say it, the FSB was just a f-150 with bed cap on
More than that it was a f150(the bees knees of trucks) with......
1 A shortened length and wheelbase
2 Better weight distribution(that cap makes it climb)
3 The versatility to suit both a family(secure dry space and seating)
4 and meet the needs of a work truck(payload, towing, and bedspace)
5 was super common to come with traction devices and offroad oriented shocks.

And what exactly is wrong with being sporty versatile version of the best selling truck in america for basically forever, that has deep aftermarket and parts source support, made be the greatest automotive company in the history of the world, with the best four letter word ever right there in front encircled by blue?

Tell me kind sir what is wrong with that?
download.jpeg
download (1).jpeg
download (3).jpeg
download (4).jpeg

BAUS67

First Name
redneck
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 5.0 LX, 08 F-150 Stepside, 13 Explorer XLT, 97 Jeep Wrangler
OP
FirstOnRaceDay

FirstOnRaceDay

First Name
Devin
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Mercury Grand Marquis, 2017 Honda Civic, 2019.5 Chevy Silverado
Vehicle Showcase
He might not be, but I am paying attention. ;)
I am listening.
I’m just in a “believe it when I see it” stage.

if there is a XL equivalent Bronco. Great all in! As long as it has decent suspension and at least front LSD. That’s what I would get.

but as of right now all signs to me point to no cheaper base model.

but who knows. The bronco will definitely have its own system

Sherminiator

First Name
Scott
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Taurus SHO
I just trolled myself a little bit. I live in a place where the best option for non-dial-up Internet is cellular hotspots, and I frequently use all of my 4G hotspot data on both my MiFi hotspot and my cell phone. I just had the thought "Hey, when I'm out of data now, I can just connect to the hotspot on my Bronco!"

This is how I understand it:

The system has a Wifi or 4/5G antenna built into it that you can slave your phone to (to get to the internet) or you can connect to your wifi at home (my wife's Escape can get updates for Sync 3 that way)

The other thing to keep in mind-Bluetooth has bandwidth limitations. Just as an example, you can't run Waze via Carplay with Bluetooth, so you have to plug it in. Having a Wifi/Cellar antenna removes that issue (more bandwidth), so I'm hoping that I can put my phone on a wireless charger built into the dash, then connect up Waze to it for directions (because its going to eat the battery anyways) for a completely wireless solution.

OP
FirstOnRaceDay

FirstOnRaceDay

First Name
Devin
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
This is how I understand it:

The system has a Wifi or 4/5G antenna built into it that you can slave your phone to (to get to the internet) or you can connect to your wifi at home (my wife's Escape can get updates for Sync 3 that way)

The other thing to keep in mind-Bluetooth has bandwidth limitations. Just as an example, you can't run Waze via Carplay with Bluetooth, so you have to plug it in. Having a Wifi/Cellar antenna removes that issue (more bandwidth), so I'm hoping that I can put my phone on a wireless charger built into the dash, then connect up Waze to it for directions (because its going to eat the battery anyways) for a completely wireless solution.
according to the reveal that exactly how it will work. Using the cell data to connect and mirror your phone vs Bluetooth or cable. Kinda like how a smart TV works.

North7

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Kia Sorento AWD
according to the reveal that exactly how it will work. Using the cell data to connect and mirror your phone vs Bluetooth or cable. Kinda like how a smart TV works.
So it sounds like I cannot tether to my cell phone Hotspot and use the unlimited data I already have and that Ford is forcing you to have to pay for their cell service if you want to use the feature?

Sherminiator

First Name
Scott
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Taurus SHO
So it sounds like I cannot tether to my cell phone Hotspot and use the unlimited data I already have and that Ford is forcing you to have to pay for their cell service if you want to use the feature?
No, not all all-this isn't OnStar or the like. All its doing is creating a network with the modem in the car.

All your data would come from your phone.

OP
FirstOnRaceDay

FirstOnRaceDay

First Name
Devin
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
No, not all all-this isn't OnStar or the like. All its doing is creating a network with the modem in the car.

All your data would come from your phone.
IM HOPING you can do that. Some systems won’t let you do it that way. Share data and info from the source. But we shall see.
Because I agree. I would not use the fords data plan if I had to.

Sherminiator

First Name
Scott
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Taurus SHO
IM HOPING you can do that. Some systems won’t let you do it that way. Share data and info from the source. But we shall see.
Because I agree. I would not use the fords data plan if I had to.
So did some digging:

https://media.ford.com/content/ford...sync-4-brings-new-levels-of-connectivity.html

Saw this:

FordPass Connect (optional on select vehicles) and complimentary Connected Service are required for remote features (see FordPass Terms for details). Connected service and features depend on compatible AT&T network availability. Evolving technology/cellular networks/vehicle capability may limit functionality and prevent operation of connected features. Connected service excludes Wi-Fi hotspot.

So it looks like you can't share your data from your phone, but I don't see any reason why you couldn't use your phone's data for streaming things to Sync-Like Waze etc.

North7

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Kia Sorento AWD
So did some digging:

https://media.ford.com/content/ford...sync-4-brings-new-levels-of-connectivity.html

Saw this:

FordPass Connect (optional on select vehicles) and complimentary Connected Service are required for remote features (see FordPass Terms for details). Connected service and features depend on compatible AT&T network availability. Evolving technology/cellular networks/vehicle capability may limit functionality and prevent operation of connected features. Connected service excludes Wi-Fi hotspot.

So it looks like you can't share your data from your phone, but I don't see any reason why you couldn't use your phone's data for streaming things to Sync-Like Waze etc.
Thanks. I hate buying a vehicle and being forced to buy duplicate service. Tried it once for my wife's Subaru. Tried remote locate and unlock, FAILED. Called and got a song and dance about network Yada, Yada, CANCELED!!!

laj.tuxmek

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Focus ST
New Ford vehicles have a built in 4G LTE modem that runs on the AT&T network. You have to pay a monthly fee to access the network (like a cell phone plan). Once you have purchased a data plan, connectivity is provided to multiple devices through the vehicle's WiFi hotspot. Your phone doesn't provide the data connection, the onboard modem does.

SYNC 4 provides wireless Apple Car Play and Android Auto via WiFi. You don't have to plug it in through USB anymore. You can just keep it in your pocket, or toss it on the wireless charger (battery drain is pretty substantial). This solution uses your phone's data to run everything (Waze, Google Maps, Spotify, etc.)
Thanks. I hate buying a vehicle and being forced to buy duplicate service. Tried it once for my wife's Subaru. Tried remote locate and unlock, FAILED. Called and got a song and dance about network Yada, Yada, CANCELED!!!
The cool thing is that all FordPass connectivity features (lock/unlock, remote start, location, vehicle diagnostics, etc.) are completely free to use. You don't have to pay to access them.

Last edited:

The Pope

First Name
John
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1977 F250/2007 Mercury Mariner/2014 Infiniti Q60x/2011 Kawasaki C14
so..... if I need to run an update on the Bronco, but I don't want to pay for the AT&T data plan ............. should just pull into my nearest Ford Dealer and let the Bronco jump onto the dealer's WiFi........or can I get the update over my phone's data connection?

The Ford Bronco Will Be Revealed In...