First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Nissan Titan XD
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Some (@604Bronco ) were asking about size comparisons. I parked next to a 4Runner SR5 today--it had TRD wheels but not sure if it was or not. Here are some comparison shots--it's exactly the same size as the Bronco on stock 32's:

Ford Bronco 2021 Bronco vs 4Runner Pics / Extended MPG in real-world / O.A.S 20210706_115553
Ford Bronco 2021 Bronco vs 4Runner Pics / Extended MPG in real-world / O.A.S 20210706_115538
Ford Bronco 2021 Bronco vs 4Runner Pics / Extended MPG in real-world / O.A.S 20210706_115603

Also, I've driven nearly 500 miles so far, and I'm averaging 21 MPG in my 2.7. I've travelled Interstate @ 75mph, highways @ 60, and stop-and-go traffic. I use cruise almost exclusively on hwy/interstate, and the top is the position you see above, meaning more drag.

On a related note, the cruise is fantastic. It holds even downhilll, and doesn't drift up 5+ mph like other vehicles. Rarely have I seen the tach go over 2000 rpm, a tribute to the torque of the 2.7.

Extended observations:
1. The lack of rear vents is a real issue. The kids were tired of the wind so I closed the top/windows and turned on the AC. They were hot in 90-degree weather.

2. The rear seatbelts really flap in the wind. Even buckled with no occupants they flop and shake. I may end up using velcro straps the stop the issue.

3. If you remove the doors, make sure you tighten the upper bolt tightly when putting them back on. I was afraid of overtightening and they walked out. You can tell because the doors pop when you open them.
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Some (@604Bronco ) were asking about size comparisons. I parked next to a 4Runner SR5 today--it had TRD wheels but not sure if it was or not. Here are some comparison shots--it's exactly the same size as the Bronco on stock 32's:
Ford Bronco 2021 Bronco vs 4Runner Pics / Extended MPG in real-world / O.A.S 20210706_115603

Also, I've driven nearly 500 miles so far, and I'm averaging 21 MPG in my 2.7. I've travelled Interstate @ 75mph, highways @ 60, and stop-and-go traffic. I use cruise almost exclusively on hwy/interstate, and the top is the position you see above, meaning more drag.

On a related note, the cruise is fantastic. It holds even downhilll, and doesn't drift up 5+ mph like other vehicles. Rarely have I seen the tach go over 2000 rpm, a tribute to the torque of the 2.7.

Extended observations:
1. The lack of rear vents is a real issue. The kids were tired of the wind so I closed the top/windows and turned on the AC. They were hot in 90-degree weather.

2. The rear seatbelts really flap in the wind. Even buckled with no occupants they flop and shake. I may end up using velcro straps the stop the issue.

3. If you remove the doors, make sure you tighten the upper bolt tightly when putting them back on. I was afraid of overtightening and they walked out. You can tell because the doors pop when you open them.
Thanks for the pictures! Can you go find a Grand Cherokee (preferably Trailhawk) and do the same? LOL, just kidding (kind of).

For the rear seat belts: Can you just do them up? Would that stop the issue you’re having?

Thanks again! You rock!

OP
OP
88to21bronco

88to21bronco

Big Bend
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Nissan Titan XD
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Thanks for the pictures! Can you go find a Grand Cherokee (preferably Trailhawk) and do the same? LOL, just kidding (kind of).

For the rear seat belts: Can you just do them up? Would that stop the issue you’re having?

Thanks again! You rock!
That actually made it worse, as more of the strap was exposed to the wind. My daughter even locked them, but it was no better. It's not a huge deal, but at relatively high speeds it is somewhat annoying and I'm sure I'll get those little nick marks on the pillar plastic from the buckle.

Natai

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Sentra, Mercedes GLC
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Good to hear you're getting over 20 mpg on the 2.7 with a mix of driving, especially if that's with the top back and before you've even hit 1000 miles.
I've been hoping I can hit 20 mpg when I get mine (2.7 BL non-Sas), so this gives me hope I'll at least be close.

Interesting that you found the rear AC was insufficient, as I've seen a couple other posts that it was pushing plenty of air even in hot conditions. I wonder how much of a factor the soft top might play into it, in terms of good seals and heat transfer through the material from the sun.

Good tips on the seat belts and door bolts!

Sponsored
OP
OP
88to21bronco

88to21bronco

Big Bend
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Nissan Titan XD
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend

Thanks again! You rock!
I'm going to my dealer to install the new tires sometime this week. It's right beside a Chrysler dealership. If they have a Trailhawk, I'll park beside it.

WuNgUn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door Squatched
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Extended observations:

The old Ford seat belt flap... Love that in my Escape. Lol

OP
OP
88to21bronco

88to21bronco

Big Bend
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Nissan Titan XD
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Thought it had floor vent in the rear. Possible to route those up somehow?
It's my assumption that floor vents are for heat; that is usually the case.

Natai

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Sentra, Mercedes GLC
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That actually made it worse, as more of the strap was exposed to the wind. My daughter even locked them, but it was no better. It's not a huge deal, but at relatively high speeds it is somewhat annoying and I'm sure I'll get those little nick marks on the pillar plastic from the buckle.
I've had this problem in my Sentra too. I actually take the buckle and slot it into the opening in the pillar where the seat belt comes out. Helps keep the flapping to a minimum and secures the buckle so it doesn't slap around. Not sure if that's possible on the Bronco or not.

OP
OP
88to21bronco

88to21bronco

Big Bend
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Nissan Titan XD
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Interesting that you found the rear AC was insufficient, as I've seen a couple other posts that it was pushing plenty of air even in hot conditions. I wonder how much of a factor the soft top might play into it, in terms of good seals and heat transfer through the material from the sun.
My kids can be complaining little twerps sometimes. I'll let you know when somebody besides an entitled teenager sits back there.

Sponsored

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Well… better sell the Bronco! Just kidding hahaha. I think your solution is a good one. A simple fix to resolve the issue.

VelocityBrew

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Badlands, 20 Passport, 16 1190 Adventure
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ummm what era of vehicles are you driving?

NC_Pinz

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco OBX w/ Squatch, 1975 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

It's my assumption that floor vents are for heat; that is usually the case.
Most likely the floor vents are tied to the floor discharge in the front. So you'd only get air if you put it on bi-level, low, or defrost/low.

LOSTXGOLD

Base
First Name
TEO
Threads
Reaction score
Website
lostgoldx.wixsite.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 RAV4, past: 2013 BMW 328i, 370Z, XJ
Your Bronco Model
Base
Nice write up. My friend has a TRD 4-Runner, & I really like the size of it, inside & it, so that is good to know.

I ordered the 2.7 w/ SAS, I’m fine with 17 (kinda).

OP
OP
88to21bronco

88to21bronco

Big Bend
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Nissan Titan XD
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Ummm what era of vehicles are you driving?
Ummm...a 2018 Chrysler Pacifica. It would fluctuate 5+ mph going down a hill. You'd look down and be going 67 with the cruise set a 60. Even my Titan fluctuates by 1-2 mph, which is normal. The transmission seems to hold the Bronco back well.
Sponsored