Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Lower gauge = thicker metal
From the article: "a lower gage than the original DP800 and DP600 found in the earlier Bronco, which enables weight savings"

Unless this new Bronco steel is significantly lighter in weight than the older steel, having a thicker but lighter weight panel seems at odds in terms of properties. I wonder if Ford Authority made a mistake using the term "lower gage"? Otherwise to be lower in weight but thicker, the new steel would have to be a lightweight type of steel.

JimL

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt, 2020 Ford F-150
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

hmm, I didn't notice any information regarding how well this metal resists corrosion. As someone who tends to hang onto vehicles a long time and often buys used, corrosion resistance is a key feature. Hopefully this metal variant holds up over time to water/salt.
This guy from salt-roads-in-the-winter Southwest PA says my thoughts also went straight to questions on corrosion.

Sponsored

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
This guy from salt-roads-in-the-winter Southwest PA says my thoughts also went straight to questions on corrosion.
Same. People who tend to only drive new cars may poo poo rust and long term stability. But rust for the longer term vehicle owner (particular those in the rust belt) can be a big deal. For me overall, rust has been the number one headache of longer term vehicle ownership.

In fact, today I'm welding a patch on my old Jeep TJ, before the weather turns here in Chicagoland. With all the salt they spray around here in winter, you might as well be driving through the ocean surf.

tshaw2009

Base
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 F150 Lariat, 2018 Ford Edge Titanium
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Sponsored

rigel

Badlands
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
nissan murano 2017
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ford Selects ArcelorMittal As Sole Gen 3 Steel Supplier For 2021 Bronco

ArcelorMittal has announced that Ford has selected its Fortiform 980 GI as the sole source of third-generation advanced high-strength steel for the 2021 Ford Bronco. The 2021 Bronco will be the first automobile in the world to incorporate this grade of steel, which is made at AM/NS Calvert in Alabama.

“Ford called us to see if we could develop this specific type of steel. We were actually already in the development phase so we discussed the opportunities as well as where they could utilize this material and for which vehicle,” said Michael Lizak, global technology coordinator for Ford at Automotive Product Applications R&D. “Ford’s chief engineer gave us a goal to decrease the total vehicle weight reduction by 10 percent. In terms of safety, we selected a higher strength material, which gives Ford a huge safety advantage.”​

Ford places a huge priority on the ductility of steel and this grade comes from a family of high formability grades, meaning it has an excellent balance of both strength and ductility, a key concern for the new Ford Bronco. In addition, the automaker found its weldability superior to the competition.

Additionally, Ford’s light-weighting strategy and safety requirements align perfectly with the high strength steel, which is a lower gage than the original DP800 and DP600 found in the earlier Bronco, which enables weight savings with complex shape through better formability.

ArcelorMittal’s co-engineering capabilities, which fostered the close collaboration between ArcelorMittal R&D and Ford’s design and welding experts, played a pivotal role in this project.

“We had a product, that was engineered to have very good weldability desired by Ford,” said Jayanth Chintamani, director, automotive product research, ArcelorMittal R&D. “Ford conducts many tests before granting the product application ready status (AR). No other steel grade had been tested this much because this steel grade was so new and unique.”​
“From a process perspective, because this was a coated product, we enlisted the coating experts on my team along with the product design experts,” Chintamani added. “We then made sure that the target-critical processing parameters during various stages of industrial manufacturing were met with support from process experts at R&D as well.”​
The R&D team also worked closely with the joint venture (JV) partners at AM/NS Calvert as the steel is made on their upgraded line. “We brought this technology from ArcelorMittal R&D in East Chicago to the JV line in Calvert, Alabama,” Chintamani said. “By designing the product at R&D and bringing it to Calvert for manufacturing we are adding value to Calvert JV operations and ArcelorMittal at large.”

This specific patented steel product was created for applications like the 2021 Bronco, but as ArcelorMittal noted, Ford is also considering its use in other, future models.

Via Fordauthority.
I don't know anything about anything but this sounds good. I am feeling better and better about this future purchase.

Big Island Bronco ?♂️

First Edition
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ Cherokee, 1971 Z28 R/S
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Yup first thought in my mind since my Bronco will be running around Hawaii is what about corrosion resistance. I was glad to see that the body panels would be aluminum. Guess a new power washer as an accessory to my Bronco will be in my future lol.

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I'm also glad weldability was addressed!
Right!

Last thing we needed to hear was "a new seam sealer was also developed in conjunction with this new steel, it sucks 1% less than before"....

There is a reason women prefer men who can weld.

And this lucky guy replaced his Harbor Freight welder with Big Blue!

New welder.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited: