JaxGtc

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 EB Sport; 2021 Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I bought my 2010 Wrangler 3 years old and it was just starting to rust on the frame.... I live in Michigan where I swear they have a competition to see how much salt they can spread, but rust shouldn’t happen that fast. My buddy’s 2015 wrangler he bought new and had the same rust as me one month into ownership. Jeep dealer said it’s “normal Jeep rust.”

Any steel has to be better than what Jeep uses, but I’m hoping this is particularly corrosion resistant.
I cringe every time I see a picture or commercial of a vehicle driving in the surf on the beach (yes, there is a 2021 doing that too). No way that vehicle is going to avoid the inevitable.
Sponsored

Colt

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes, Shelby GT500, VW TDI
Your Bronco Model
Undecided

Sponsored

NCOBX

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
H2 Hummer, Holden Commodore
Your Bronco Model
Base
Everything sounds good but then you realize that HSS typically cannot be repaired and must be replaced. I suppose if you bend a frame horn in a wreck you can cut out the bad piece and brace in a new piece of steel but it probably wouldn’t take much to total a frame and there by vehicle.

I would prefer thicker guage of a more common steel - weight be dammed.

RedRiverRev

First Name
Herman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nothing
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Made in America, but the profits go to Europe and Japan. I wonder if that affects the "Made in America" index score?

JonChicago

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
From what I'm reading online this steel is designed for stamped applications. This means it is not used in the ladder frame but in the body, and given its high strength attributes most likely the structural portions.

Sponsored

Bvbronco

Badlands
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jeep wrangler sport s
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
From the article: "a lower gage than the original DP800 and DP600 found in the earlier Bronco, which enables weight savings"

Unless this new Bronco steel is significantly lighter in weight than the older steel, having a thicker but lighter weight panel seems at odds in terms of properties. I wonder if Ford Authority made a mistake using the term "lower gage"? Otherwise to be lower in weight but thicker, the new steel would have to be a lightweight type of steel.
IMO. This article is for the engineering department to understand it fully. If someone out there can brake it down for layman's that would be great.

Bvbronco

Badlands
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jeep wrangler sport s
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I bought my 2010 Wrangler 3 years old and it was just starting to rust on the frame.... I live in Michigan where I swear they have a competition to see how much salt they can spread, but rust shouldn’t happen that fast. My buddy’s 2015 wrangler he bought new and had the same rust as me one month into ownership. Jeep dealer said it’s “normal Jeep rust.”

Any steel has to be better than what Jeep uses, but I’m hoping this is particularly corrosion resistant.
I have a 2019 JL and its frame has rust and the welding on the frame is S***.

Last edited:

bloominguez

Black Diamond
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Br BD, '22 5BW, '95 Integra, '94 VFR, '04 SV
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Wait a minute. We don't get to choose our steel supplier in the B&P??? I thought maybe that was what was taking them so long.....
Sponsored