steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I thought the point of this thread was to talk about how the standard suspension differs from the Sasquatch suspension. Not how the Badlands suspension differs from the Sasquatch suspension. (Which is minimal)

That was my question to BN that got posted!đź‘Ť

Been wondering what the difference between these two are. To the untrained eye, they look SUPER similar...Just unpainted. I'm sure they're pretty different...but now seeing it, I'm not sure they're really that different. Does anyone with good knowledge and understanding of suspension parts see something, I'm not? Thanks!
At a minimum, shocks and springs. Probably also anti-sway bar.
If the height differential is significant, they maybe changed the length of the locating links.
Bushings could be different as well.

As for specifics about the bilstein shocks, we have this:
https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/thre...suspension-w-position-sensitive-dampers.5481/

Vague, I know. I haven't seen /studied any pics between the 2 because I was always getting sasquatch badlands.

Sponsored

subshooter

Wildtrak
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Porsche 911 and 2014 Boxster S
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Why doesn't somebody who has access to Broncos just go out and measure all the different setups between suspensions and tires?

....heck some guy gave us ten thousand different measurements of the space behind the seats in one of the Broncos.

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I thought the point of this thread was to talk about how the standard suspension differs from the Sasquatch suspension. Not how the Badlands suspension differs from the Sasquatch suspension. (Which is minimal)

That was my question to BN that got posted!đź‘Ť

Been wondering what the difference between these two are. To the untrained eye, they look SUPER similar...Just unpainted. I'm sure they're pretty different...but now seeing it, I'm not sure they're really that different. Does anyone with good knowledge and understanding of suspension parts see something, I'm not? Thanks!
I haven’t really focused on the standard suspension much, because I’m getting the Badlands trim package with the upgraded suspension, but one of the differences, I think, is the optional Bilsteins have an external reservoir, whereas the standard Hitachis do not. You can see the external reservoir in the photo of the chassis below, surrounded by a black plastic shroud with the word “Bistein” on the side. Just remember that the chassis in the photo is upside down for manufacturing access. When it is flipped over and mated to the body, the reservoirs will be at the bottom of the Bilsteins (nearest the ground) rather than at the top.

Ford Bronco 2021 Bronco's Bilstein suspension vs standard suspension pics 1616355782592

A recent Jalopnik article, which @North7 posted excerpts from on this forum, described the optional monotube Bilsteins as follows:

... three-position dampers, or as Ford’s marketing calls them, “Long-travel position-sensitive Bilstein dampers with end-stop control valves.”

Eric Loeffler, Chief program engineer for Bronco, told me they increase damping force near the end of travel, and that they’re “very effective in smoothing out large undulations in whoops and jumps, so you don’t get that crash-through feel in jounce or the topping out in rebound.” They’ve got piggyback reservoirs which should help them run cooler, and they look quite a bit different than the standard monotube shocks on the JL Wrangler.

Source: https://jalopnik.com/an-extremely-detailed-look-into-the-ford-broncos-engine-1844389830

With this in mind, now go back and look at the photos at the top of this thread. Judging by the black coilovers, I don’t think the standard Hitachi shocks have external reservoirs.

@Werkedperformance’s thread, which I posted earlier, describes other features of the optional Bilsteins, which I personally think provide good value for money if you plan to do any off-roading.

Last edited:

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Why doesn't somebody who has access to Broncos just go out and measure all the different setups between suspensions and tires?

....heck some guy gave us ten thousand different measurements of the space behind the seats in one of the Broncos.
Someone did at KOH and it didn’t reveal anything meaningful because there were too many variables (terrain, tire pressure, cargo, settling, etc).

We have actual specs from Ford, but because no one wants to believe it, we find ourselves in continuous debate.

MadMac

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Someone did at KOH and it didn’t reveal anything meaningful because there were too many variables (terrain, tire pressure, cargo, settling, etc).

We have actual specs from Ford, but because no one wants to believe it, we find ourselves in continuous debate.
I looked at the model specs at Ford and, while I thought they were identical, the high lift suspension is optional on the BL, ie Sasquatch. Whether it Is anything more than a strut lifting block, I don’t know.

Sponsored

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I looked at the model specs at Ford and, while I thought they were identical, the high lift suspension is optional on the BL, ie Sasquatch. Whether it Is anything more than a strut lifting block, I don’t know.
We don’t know how exactly how BL and Sas differ, but we know they do, and we know by how much (10mm).

We also know that BL and Sas both have the position sensitive damper shocks... the lower trims don’t.

But until we see parts fiche and get numbers and diagrams, or someone can read part numbers off various trims... we don’t know what is causing the difference in BL and Sas height (the rest of the heights differ based on tire diameter, so that’s not so much a mystery).

Lots of theories.... Spring rates.. spacers... body lifts....

Last edited:

Cased

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
dune buggy
Your Bronco Model
Base
I have nothing to add to this conversation but that 4 link setup with a panhard bar is just begging to be modded

Some jack wagon is gonna make a drill fixture and move that lower strut mount and turn that stock pan
hard into a adjustable one

Maybe mod the upper arms also to set pinion angle , good thing I have far to much sense to do anything like that

Parker

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gr Che Overland, Corvette, Tahoe, 46 Chevy 2ton
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I have nothing to add to this conversation but that 4 link setup with a panhard bar is just begging to be modded

Some jack wagon is gonna make a drill fixture and move that lower strut mount and turn that stock pan
hard into a adjustable one

Maybe mod the upper arms also to set pinion angle , good thing I have far to much sense to do anything like that
But those who do have more dollars than sense will lift and modify, and those great factory hot rod bits will end up on e-bay to be bolted on at a bargain price.

DeltaBravo

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Delta
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MIKES MOM
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I must have asked the bronco nation guys 1700 times during their live feed this morning about the 2 door roof length and was ignored. Those guys can go pound sand.
Sponsored