Shodax

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Hey All... I have Suspension question and I'm hoping some of you might be able to comment and/or point me in the right direction. I have a mostly stock 2021 Bronco Outer Banks (NON-Sas) and with no AM Lift. I'm running the 2.3L Auto Trans, Advanced 4x4 with the 4.27 Gear Ratio and Rear Locker. I've only had it a few weeks, so I'm at 650 miles and still in the break-in period. So, I still have the stock suspension. I do have upgraded tires, the NITTO P275 70R18s and those come in at 33.19" radius and 10.98" width. It runs pretty smooth on-road, and it does handle incredibly well.

But, honestly I never test drove it before my tires were swapped, and I still haven't test driven a SAS yet. So with that said... One of my only complaints on my Bronco's driveability is when it hits the larger on-road bumps, dips, etc. The ride position is mostly unaffected and it does handle the bumps decently. However, during some of the more jarring dips/bumps the suspension feels quite a bit more stiff than I was expecting. It feels a little stiff in the front, and of course more stiff in the rear which is to be expected.

My prior driving experience is mostly Mustangs (Classic to Modern), so I'm used to the stiff suspension, but I was hoping for a bit softer ride on the Bronco. Was I wrong to have that assumption? I wasn't expecting BMW ride quality, but it feels quite a bit more stiff than my Uncle's F-150 which rides surprisingly smooth... So my question is this... Does anyone else have this complaint? Is this specific to the Standard Suspension? Is the SAS suspension any more forgiving?

In all the videos / reviews I've seen I haven't really seen too many complaints about the ride stiffness... I know the stiffer handling allows for better cornering and handling, and it does handle way better than I was expecting. But I was hoping it would handle the more significant bumps, a bit better... It's my daily driver and 90% of my driving will be done on road, only 10% off-road... So with that are there any recommendations? Would upgrading Shocks alone offer any benefits?

Ford Bronco 2021 Bronco's Bilstein suspension vs standard suspension pics Bronco - Dealer Pick-Up (4)
Sponsored

Last edited:

BDSteelies

Black Diamond
First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2-Door Velocity Blue BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Hey All... I have Suspension question and I'm hoping some of you might be able to comment and/or point me in the right direction. I have a mostly stock 2021 Bronco Outer Banks (NON-Sas) and with no AM Lift. I'm running the 2.3L Auto Trans, Advanced 4x4 with the 4.27 Gear Ratio and Rear Locker. I've only had it a few weeks, so I'm at 650 miles and still in the break-in period. So, I still have the stock suspension. I do have upgraded tires, the NITTO P275 70R18s and those come in at 33.19" radius and 10.98" width. It runs pretty smooth on road and handles incredibly weel.

But, honestly I never test drove it before my tires were swapped, and I still have test driven a SAS yet. So with that... One of my only complaints on my Bronco's driveability is when it hits larger on-road bumps, dips, etc. The ride position is mostly unaffected and it handles the bumps decently. However, during some of the more jarring dips/bumps the suspension feels quite a bit more stiff than I was expecting. It feels a little stiff in the front, and of course more stiff in the rear.

My prior driving experience is mostly Mustangs (Classic to Modern), so I'm used to the stiff suspension, but I was hoping for a bit softer ride on the Bronco. I wasn't expecting BMW ride quality, but it feels quite a bit more stiff than my Uncle's F-150 which rides surprisingly smooth... So my question is this... Does anyone else have this complaint? Is this specific to the Standard Suspension? Is the SAS suspension any more forgiving?

In all the videos / reviews I've seen I haven't really seen too many complaints about the ride stiffness... I know the stiffer handling allows for great cornering and handling, and it does handle way better than I was expecting. But I was hoping it would handle the more significant bumps, especially at-speed a bit better... It's my daily driver and 90% driving will be done on road... So with that are there any recommendations? Would upgrading Shocks alone offer any benefits?

Bronco - Dealer Pick-Up (4).jpg
What tire pressure are you running? My BD tires were high around 41 psi from the dealer, reducing to 35 helped noticeably with ride quality.

Shodax

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
What tire pressure are you running? My BD tires were high around 41 psi from the dealer, reducing to 35 helped noticeably with ride quality.

Thanks! I thought about that initially, but I wasn't sure it would make all that much difference. I'm looking at my Ford App. right now and it shows 37 PSI on the left and 36 PSI on the right, which is in line with what I saw when I checked my PSI at purchase. I could probably go down to a bit but I'm not sure if that'll have any major effect.

Last edited:

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Hey All... I have Suspension question and I'm hoping some of you might be able to comment and/or point me in the right direction. I have a mostly stock 2021 Bronco Outer Banks (NON-Sas) and with no AM Lift. I'm running the 2.3L Auto Trans, Advanced 4x4 with the 4.27 Gear Ratio and Rear Locker. I've only had it a few weeks, so I'm at 650 miles and still in the break-in period. So, I still have the stock suspension. I do have upgraded tires, the NITTO P275 70R18s and those come in at 33.19" radius and 10.98" width. It runs pretty smooth on-road, and it does handle incredibly well.

But, honestly I never test drove it before my tires were swapped, and I still haven't test driven a SAS yet. So with that said... One of my only complaints on my Bronco's driveability is when it hits the larger on-road bumps, dips, etc. The ride position is mostly unaffected and it does handle the bumps decently. However, during some of the more jarring dips/bumps the suspension feels quite a bit more stiff than I was expecting. It feels a little stiff in the front, and of course more stiff in the rear which is to be expected.

My prior driving experience is mostly Mustangs (Classic to Modern), so I'm used to the stiff suspension, but I was hoping for a bit softer ride on the Bronco. Was I wrong to have that assumption? I wasn't expecting BMW ride quality, but it feels quite a bit more stiff than my Uncle's F-150 which rides surprisingly smooth... So my question is this... Does anyone else have this complaint? Is this specific to the Standard Suspension? Is the SAS suspension any more forgiving?

In all the videos / reviews I've seen I haven't really seen too many complaints about the ride stiffness... I know the stiffer handling allows for better cornering and handling, and it does handle way better than I was expecting. But I was hoping it would handle the more significant bumps, a bit better... It's my daily driver and 90% of my driving will be done on road, only 10% off-road... So with that are there any recommendations? Would upgrading Shocks alone offer any benefits?
Ride Improvements:

1) Double check your tire pressure, try lowering it to the 35psi range.

2) GET RID OF THE 18" TIRES!

3) Buy 17" wheels and tires and don't run with psi over 35. 17" tires give more sidewall flex for a more comfortable and compliant, daily driver ride (I've upgraded both of my SUV's from 18" to 17" wheels and tires for this reason).

3) Buy a set of Badlands BILSTEIN ESCV coilovers, either take-offs from someone in the member marketplace or order new from @flip, as @kodiakisland did for his Bronco, he described it at this post. They are tuned for a better ride on the Bronco, much better than hit and miss aftermarket ones that are not as finely tuned.

New Bilstein ESCV Coilover Article Design & Ride Information

BILSTEIN ESCV Bronco suspension / shocks explained - "End Stop Control Valve" Dampers (Bronco HOSS Suspension w/ Position Sensitive Dampers)

Bronco Sasquatch suspension parts (shocks & springs) price quoted at $1300 from dealer parts department

Last edited:

Sponsored

Hbates3

Badlands
First Name
Hudson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Is it a bad idea to put a 2" leveling kit on the bilstein badlands? I'm planning on using the zone offroad leveling kit, Which is a suspension spacer lift. I've read that some lifts can mess up CV angles when at full tilt offroad. I don't plan on doing any rock climbing but I will be going offroad.

Last edited:

BigMeatsBronco

First Edition
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FE 2 door
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Is it a bad idea to put a 2" leveling kit on the bilstein badlands? I'm planning on using the zone offroad leveling kit, Which is a suspension spacer lift. I've read that some lifts can mess up CV angles when at full tilt offroad. I don't plan on doing any rock climbing but I will be going offroad.
2” is pushing the limits of the CVs angle during droop. Probably OK for most situations. I did a 1.5” diff drop so I can get up to 3.5” of more droop then OEM, and not destroy the CVs.

At 2“ lift, the diff drop will extend the life of your CVs and the CV boots as well.

Redcobra

Outer Banks
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Expedition, 2020 Escape, 1970 Galaxie XL Conv
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
There has been much debate about suspension lift with various trims and Sasquatch Package. 10mm to 1.5" to 3" have been mentioned. I did a little analysis of overall height OAH vs tire size to come up with some answers using the Base as a baseline:

Base: OAH=71.9, Diff=0, Due to tire (30")=0, Due to Suspension=0
BB, OBX, BD: OAH=72.9, Diff=1, Due to tire (32")=1, Due to Suspension=0
Non Sas BL: OAH=73.8, Diff=1.9, Due to tire (32.7")=1.35, Due to Suspension=0.55
All Sas: OAH=75.2, Diff=3.3, Due to tire (34.4")=2.2, Due to Suspension=1.10

So my napkin math says BL gets, .55" Suspension lift and Sas gets 1.1" . This gives credence to the rumor there are three suspensions Base (Base, BB, OBX and BD), Badlands non Sas and Sas
Along with all the different spring rated based on 2 or 4 dr, 2.7 or 2.3 and Auto or 7 spd!

Redcobra

Outer Banks
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
2” is pushing the limits of the CVs angle during droop. Probably OK for most situations. I did a 1.5” diff drop so I can get up to 3.5” of more droop then OEM, and not destroy the CVs.

At 2“ lift, the diff drop will extend the life of your CVs and the CV boots as well.
Big Meats what are you building there in that profile pic? A Bronco pickup maybe.........

Sponsored

Redcobra

Outer Banks
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Friggin awesome