First Name
Jaime
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Camry TRD
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Both of those gotchas will prevent me from getting a catch can then. Thanks for the helpful info!
According to the latest Smog Check Manual (2017) pg. 49 from CA BAR website 2017 Smog Check Manual (ca.gov) oil catch cans do not require an EO number to pass smog inspection. It is only because of businesses not wanting to take a risk that they refuse to sell their products in California. As long as you do not vent to the atmosphere or change the purpose of the oil catch can it should pass CA visual inspection. I know that others have spoken about this on other Ford vehicle forums, including once showing the smog technician the manual they were able to get it to pass.
Sponsored

Attachments

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thanks that’s good info! I was interpreting that table I posted as meaning that catch cans do not require an EO to be compliant, and inspectors would only fail for the items marked as “EO required”. Maybe that’s only the case for pcv oil separators? Didn’t realize there was a difference to be honest… Maybe getting a bit off on a tangent for this thread though haha
Admittedly, I don't know what California's "official" definition of an oil separator is. Both a catch can and an oil separator effectively do the same thing... they separate oil from the air.

Colloquially, an oil separator is low (basically zero) maintenance and drains directly back into the crankcase. Due to this fact, it is common to have oil separators installed by the factory, especially on high-end performance vehicles (Mustang, for example). A catch can, on the other hand, drains into the can itself. And because you have to remember to empty the catch can, vehicles are almost never equipped with one from the factory.

But in terms of CARB emission standards... by the book it needs a CARB EO number since it modifies the factory PCV system. Whether you will actually ever run into an issue during an emission test by having an oil catch can is a completely different question. Ultimately depends on how anal the inspector is.

Last edited:

Defyfate11

First Edition
First Name
Jaime
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Camry TRD
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Mind is blown!!!! 2.7 EcoBoost does not need a catch can?
Wow, still trying to wrap my mind around that but, it blew apart!!!!
Yours blew apart? Because you had a catch-can???

Gtrekker

Wildtrak
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Braptor, Audi, M1102 Overland Trailer 2-B
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Yours blew apart? Because you had a catch-can???
Mind, as in head..... it was on my list to install along with my other engine upgrades. Now I wont need one. Hmmmmm......🤔

Defyfate11

First Edition
First Name
Jaime
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Camry TRD
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Mind, as in head..... it was on my list to install along with my other engine upgrades. Now I wont need one. Hmmmmm......🤔
Ok, Well I am going to install one and will post on what results the catch-can yields.

Sponsored

BroncoNS22

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Your Bronco Model
Base
Perfect timing! I just placed my order. My wife’s bronco should be delivered by late February and a catch can is the first and most important part I plan to install on it. Any word on a setup for the 2.0 Ecoboost for the Maverick? My Maverick should be in by March or April as well. I ran a catch can on a high mileage F-150 with the 3.5 Ecoboost as a form of cheap insurance to help that truck last as long as possible.

omg_bbq

Black Diamond
First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 EG BD SAS
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

According to the latest Smog Check Manual (2017) pg. 49 from CA BAR website 2017 Smog Check Manual (ca.gov) oil catch cans do not require an EO number to pass smog inspection. It is only because of businesses not wanting to take a risk that they refuse to sell their products in California. As long as you do not vent to the atmosphere or change the purpose of the oil catch can it should pass CA visual inspection. I know that others have spoken about this on other Ford vehicle forums, including once showing the smog technician the manual they were able to get it to pass.
That is really good to know actually. I appreciate it. I’m convinced it’s the right thing for the engine, just not convinced CA or Ford won’t hassle me about it. I think I’ll wait and see what hurdles other CA Bronc folks are having to jump over. If they’re easy enough I’ll join in.

DEC

Black Diamond
First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 640, Mustang Bullitt, Mazda 3, Honda Accord,
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
That is really good to know actually. I appreciate it. I’m convinced it’s the right thing for the engine, just not convinced CA or Ford won’t hassle me about it. I think I’ll wait and see what hurdles other CA Bronc folks are having to jump over. If they’re easy enough I’ll join in.
No need to worry about smog checks on a new car for 6 years in CA.

PWillette

Badlands
First Name
Parrie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 F250 Super Duty, '01 SS Camaro, '21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Nice...ordered

OP
OP
Mishimoto

Mishimoto

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Your website is not playing nice.
Cannot search via Ford Bronco and really do not want to scroll thru all the catch can pages to find it (on iPad if that matters)
Apologies for that! Sometimes newer products can take a little bit to add to our search function, but it's updated now! Here's a link to the page!

https://www.mishimoto.com/ford-bronco-23l-catch-can-kit-2021.html

@Mishimoto customer service sorted it out and i'm in line for a 2nd round batch. Won't have a Bronco for who knows how long, so it's not a problem.

Thanks for helping me out!
Absolutely! I just sent you a message back, and your order is still good to go!

Many vendors (like UPR) won't even ship you a catch can you live in California. And some will only ship you the catch can if you sign a waiver that says you will only use it on a closed track. I do not know if @Mishimoto has submitted their catch can for CARB testing or not, I assume not... because if it is usually the it'll say "California compliant" and list the EO numbers right on the website. But maybe that is something Nick can clear up for us.

-

I've also seen situations where catch cans will fail, but an oil separator on a similar car mysteriously will not fail. I assume the difference is that most oil separators bolt directly to the engine and any junk collected by the oil separator drains back into the crankcase and thus it is considered part of the engine? Maybe? With a catch can, that junk is collected externally to the engine rather than within the engine. That may be enough to trigger some inspectors. It's hard to know honestly... depends which inspector you get.
Thanks that’s good info! I was interpreting that table I posted as meaning that catch cans do not require an EO to be compliant, and inspectors would only fail for the items marked as “EO required”. Maybe that’s only the case for pcv oil separators? Didn’t realize there was a difference to be honest… Maybe getting a bit off on a tangent for this thread though haha

@Mishimoto can you confirm if your kit is CARB compliant and able to be sold in CA?
Hey @RagnarKon and @BDSteelies! Appreciate the CARB questions and info! The best recommendation is to double-check your local regulations before you purchase and install

It’s worth mentioning that the oil separator hose that needs to be removed to install the fittings on your hoses is a big ol’ pain in the d!ck to access.

You need to remove the driver wheel and it helps to remove some of the pins in the wheel guard. Still it’s not at all visible and not easily accessible. You have to remove the fittings by feel and they have a very specific locking mechanism. I tried for a solid hour and gave up (it was also 20°F). But, just learned how those locking fittings work. So, I’ll give it another attempt soon.

1346DDC9-7ED9-4151-8AD3-C4ACD0E8FC0E.jpeg
You're ahead of the game! We have a full install guide in the works as well that will help give some guidance on these fittings!

Perfect timing! I just placed my order. My wife’s bronco should be delivered by late February and a catch can is the first and most important part I plan to install on it. Any word on a setup for the 2.0 Ecoboost for the Maverick? My Maverick should be in by March or April as well. I ran a catch can on a high mileage F-150 with the 3.5 Ecoboost as a form of cheap insurance to help that truck last as long as possible.
The Maverick is definitely something on the radar, especially since it would likely be similar to the Focus ST or RS kits that we already produce. We'll be sure to post some content on that if it comes to fruition!

Sponsored

wrbix

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
LR Def90, F250 7.3, Caterham 7, LR Series III, etc
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

@Mishimoto…..just ordered, couldn’t apply 5% discount code after multiple attempts tho.

IXxMcCoyxXl

Black Diamond
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco 2Dr
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

ordered and money pulled from account but did not see a confirmation email. Is this normal?

OP
OP
Mishimoto

Mishimoto

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
@Mishimoto…..just ordered, couldn’t apply 5% discount code after multiple attempts tho.
Correct, additional discounts are not currently available on any of our pre-sale items

ordered and money pulled from account but did not see a confirmation email. Is this normal?
That's odd! Sometimes the confirmation emails do get sorted as spam, but if you don't see one in your inbox today, definitely reach out to our customer experience team and they can look into that for you!

Thanks,
Nick

wrbix

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
LR Def90, F250 7.3, Caterham 7, LR Series III, etc
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Just got an email from Mishimoto explaining unavailability and back order status with ETA 8-10weeks.
Anybody/everybody else?
Sponsored