Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 2022
Your Bronco Model
Base
From BN:

Bronco Break-In Period

According to the owner’s manual, the 2021 Bronco does require a break-in period. For the first 1,000 mi (1,600 km), Ford recommends you avoid driving at high speeds, braking heavy, shifting aggressively, or using your vehicle to tow. Although they do not elaborate, Ford goes on to say that during this time, your vehicle may exhibit some unusual driving characteristics. This ambiguous description provides a tremendous amount of leeway for the manufacture to explain any potential gremlins inherent in some new cars.

I think what you don’t want to do with any new engine is hop in and drive hours across country at a constant speed . You want to drive at different speeds during break in period so piston and rings seat correctly.
Sponsored

GeoBig

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco, 1974 MG Midget
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My Bronco had four miles on it when I took ownership. I'm up to 57 miles a little over a week later. This is going to take a while, lol.

Squatch

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
From BN:

Bronco Break-In Period

According to the owner’s manual, the 2021 Bronco does require a break-in period. For the first 1,000 mi (1,600 km), Ford recommends you avoid driving at high speeds, braking heavy, shifting aggressively, or using your vehicle to tow. Although they do not elaborate, Ford goes on to say that during this time, your vehicle may exhibit some unusual driving characteristics. This ambiguous description provides a tremendous amount of leeway for the manufacture to explain any potential gremlins inherent in some new cars.
At this point, these are just boilerplate legal loopholes to make up for poor quality control standards. It'd be nice if they could actually tell us the scientific truth but we have to go on believing in break-in periods and we can't make an engine that could last over 3k miles without an oil change.

I'm not saying you should drive it however you like and change the oil at 5,000 miles and trust the lemon laws, but... some people do.

GoHack

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I simply vary my rpms, between 2000 and 2800 rpms, doing around 70 mph.
I have a manual, so it's easy to do.
Have done some local city driving.

I'm so far getting between 20 and 23 mpg on her doing 70.

I've also been offroad, nothing heavy, using 4Hi, 4Lo, and using the Rear-Locker, making sure everything works.

At 1000 miles, I'm bringing her in for an oil/filter change, switching over to Full Synthetic oil.

Last edited:

Poppavein

Black Diamond
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

My sales critter didn't know what a break-in is and said it wasn't needed. He was young and ignorant, so he can be forgiven.
But the older guy that explained my Bronco's features also said it wasn't needed. No excuse for that.
Then again, their lips *were* moving, so everything they said was taken with a grain of salt.
Sponsored