Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2019 Wrangler, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

So what do they define as "high-speeds?" I have to pick up my Bronco at my dealership, and will be driving it across the country to get back home. Should I avoid highways entirely? Or just keep the speed under 70?
The Ranger OM advises to vary the speed when running long distances. I'm sure that would work for the Bronco also. I bought a new car in Maryland, and drove it 435 miles back to North Carolina. I would drop/raise the speed approx every 50/60 miles. At 5K miles now I haven't had a problem with the engine. I broke the Ranger in doing the same when on the interstate. You don't have to worry about it running around town. It's not as technical as it sounds.
Sponsored

SuzH

Badlands
First Name
Susan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.crittear.com
Vehicle(s)
BMW X5
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

SuzH

Badlands
First Name
Susan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.crittear.com
Vehicle(s)
BMW X5
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I would suggest at least trying the backroads the first 250-500 miles, keep within the recommended rpm and speed the entire time, and put a piece of tape over the cruise control switch to block it out and remind you to vary your speed. Make frequent stops to explore.
Here is a fun site to look for unique stops along the way!
https://www.roadsideamerica.com

SuzH

Badlands
First Name
Susan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.crittear.com
Vehicle(s)
BMW X5
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

When does Ford recommend the first oil change? That to me is a sign of whether they truly believe in a break-in period or not.
I was told by my FIL, Ice Road Trucker...... Every 500, with GOOD oil. Not synthetic. For the first 2000 miles.

tcovington

Badlands
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Focus RS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Back when I was a race engine engineer for a major OEM in an open wheel series, we broke in every engine, even though they only had a 500 mile life. For us, it meant more power and better fuel economy. The components need to get friendly with each other. Our procedure was to start lightly loaded and work through most of the RPM range, then increase load a bit and keep repeating slow RPM sweeps. Eventually you get to higher loads and start exploring higher RPMs. From a practical perspective it reduces oil consumption. 1000 miles for a break-in isn't crazy. The folks designing these engines know what they're doing. They're literally experts in the design of reliable engines. Another fun example of the value of breaking in an engine properly - back in college (late 90s) we were given a brand-new pool van to tow a large trailer for a 1200 mile drive. The engine had 50 miles on it when we got it. By the end of the trip we had to add a quart of oil every time we filled the tank.

Sponsored

Deleted member 21681

“No hard braking”
Sorry, suddenly-stopped-traffic! Engineers said no!

FFS. Waiting for the disclaimer ***vehicle not meant for on-road or off-road travel

nminus1

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Duramax, Trailblazer, and Ford Escape
Your Bronco Model
Base
First 500 miles regular driving. At 1000 change oil then I'm driving it like I stole it.

NotApplicable

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BEVs
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Interesting it doesn’t mention anything about *not* maintaining constant RPM for long periods

Brichan

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I would suggest at least trying the backroads the first 250-500 miles, keep within the recommended rpm and speed the entire time, and put a piece of tape over the cruise control switch to block it out and remind you to vary your speed. Make frequent stops to explore.
So if I got the lux with adaptive cruise, am I good to go since it’s constantly changing speeds? 😂😂

Sponsored

Dr.Detroit

Banned
First Edition
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Ford F-150 XLT 150
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
From BN:

Bronco Break-In Period

According to the owner’s manual, the 2021 Bronco does require a break-in period. For the first 1,000 mi (1,600 km), Ford recommends you avoid driving at high speeds, braking heavy, shifting aggressively, or using your vehicle to tow. Although they do not elaborate, Ford goes on to say that during this time, your vehicle may exhibit some unusual driving characteristics. This ambiguous description provides a tremendous amount of leeway for the manufacture to explain any potential gremlins inherent in some new cars.
ok, i promise. 🤞🤞

BandofEskimoBrothers

Black Diamond
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

From BN:

Bronco Break-In Period

According to the owner’s manual, the 2021 Bronco does require a break-in period. For the first 1,000 mi (1,600 km), Ford recommends you avoid driving at high speeds, braking heavy, shifting aggressively, or using your vehicle to tow. Although they do not elaborate, Ford goes on to say that during this time, your vehicle may exhibit some unusual driving characteristics. This ambiguous description provides a tremendous amount of leeway for the manufacture to explain any potential gremlins inherent in some new cars.
Sounds like a general CYA disclaimer. The tacomas had a similar thing when they launched the most recent version in 2016. People complained about heavy transmission shifts or a lag in gear moves. Toyota said there was a period of time where the computer was "learning your driving style. "

LarryZiegler

Outer Banks
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
For anyone interested, the owners manual is available now.

https://www.helminc.com/helm/produc...result&Style=helm&Sku=M2DJ19A321AA&itemtype=N

Edit: it says its not able to be shipped to my address. Maybe someone else will have better luck.
I got this error...... The product you requested is currently not available or the Item number does not exist. In the event this item is part of a base or kit, view this item at the base or kit level. Please try again.

My break in will be just like I do on my race motors. Warm up, drive it hard, accel and decel varying RPM and get everything seated in quickly. Best way IMHO. Has worked very well for me.
I have actually heard the "drive it like you stole it" method of breaking in the engine as you have described........I haven't actually practiced that break-in method though and the mechanicals of my vehicles have held up very well past 100,000 miles......my mantra being if my method isn't broken why fix it.

Last edited:

LarryZiegler

Outer Banks
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
This is just a can of worms ... modern machining is not that of years past. Most manufactures put in a low viscosity oil and recommend extended intervals from even 10-15 years ago. Put most first oil change intervals at that 5-10k mile point. Why would they recommend that if they had any thought that it would lessen the life of the motor and cause a warranty situation?
You bring up a good question I have yet to see. I have owned Honda/Acura automobiles continuously since 1999 and they use a special break-in oil that is suppose to be kept in the engine for as long as possible before changing. My current Pilot went 9,100 miles (about 70% of that was freeway miles) before the maintenance minder hit 15% and my Acura went to about 7,000 miles (mostly city miles) before the 15% mark was hit. I let the mm go to 5% before the initial change and went with the 15% rule after that. Severe use was not how these vehicles are driven. I know there are Ford service and factory people on this forum and I have not heard any of them say that Ford uses any different type of oil for the initial break-in of the engine. With that, I am going to practice responsible changing of the oil at the appropriate time.
Sponsored