Arnold1

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
We have seen bunch of issues with both engines and it seems that Ford is trying to address these issues with the latest produced vehicles. Based on all what we/you know, which one seem to be the more reliable engine at current point, 2.3 or 2.7? Just taking the reliability into consideration, which engine would you choose when you had to order a new Bronco?
Sponsored

BSheppard

Badlands
First Name
Ballard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor, GT350, 991, Rubicon, Viper, Nissan Z32
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I went with the 2.7 because it felt much better to me than the 2.3. Not that the four cylinder does not make enough power, it does. It just does not feel as nice as the 2.7 in everyday driving.

My big push for the 2.3 was the 7 speed. I would have liked the transmission but after several test drives went for the 2.7 and 10 speed.

Reliability really did not factor in much. I have had several eco boost engines and they have been great.

AZ_Liberty

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Base
Both the 2.7 and 2.3 have a long history of reliability (in general) as the 2.7 is used in the F-150 and the 2.3 in the Eco-Stang.

The choice is simple though. I will buy the largest engine Ford will pair with a Manual Transmission. I wish they still made the Triton.

wetdog

Base
First Name
Bruno
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jl
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I'm on the get the largest engine i can get with a manual transmission camp ,they are both tech heavy lots of sensors and modules.
If I were going to fly this thing over the ocean to Hawaii and opened the hood and saw that 2.7 double turbo snake nest I would probably close hood and book boat trip.
To all that have not driven the 2.3 behind the 7 speed it is dreamy ,just my take on it im 300 miles in .

Drex

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 SLK55 AMG, '15 Indian Chief, '15 WRX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Since all we have in the forum is anecdotal stories and no actual useful data... I guess I might go ahead and take the one that isn't under investigation by the NTSB for dangerous and sudden cataclysmic failure...

Plus it is the only one available with the manual. So there is that.

Short answer; don't know, but 2.3 for me.

Sponsored

Victoryengineer

Raptor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kubota 7040, Polaris 570, Victory MC, Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I'd choose the third engine choice for the Bronco.....the 3.0 ;)

Beach_Bum

Black Diamond
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Diamond Bronco, 2023 Outerbanks Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I'm a 2-dr only buyer/owner. The only time I considered the 2.7L was when it was "a heck of a deal" and included with the 10spAuto (long time members will remember back in 10/2020). The 2.3L scoots and provides plenty of power. But one factor for me was the weight savings. I'm all about trimming the fat.

I own a 2.3L/Auto 2-dr Black Diamond. I have orders that are in allocation purgatory. Those orders will be optioned with the 2.3L without hesitation.

BottleShark

Badlands
First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nautilus, Samurai, 12v Dodge, Fiero, Karma Ghia
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I wish they still made the Triton.
I really hope you are joking, because if not your opinion doesn't count. The Triton engine might be one of the worst engines in modern history. From blowing plug, constant oil leaks, cam phasers and so much more......

22OBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 F150 Lariat, '04 F150 Lariat, '73 F100 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I really hope you are joking, because if not your opinion doesn't count. The Triton engine might be one of the worst engines in modern history. From blowing plug, constant oil leaks, cam phasers and so much more......
Just have to have maintain it and be willing to change timing chains like the old days. 04 with 345,000 miles and still running smooth. It has had timing replaced once and regular oil changes. There folks on both sides of this camp too. Love/Hate.

I do love this little 2.3 that packs a nice punch for a small motor. It is well paired behind the 10 speed. It is well spirited in sport mode and get 20mpg to boot. Kudos to Ford for good tuning on the 10 transmission.

Sponsored

MayhemMike

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Originally ordered the 2.7. Drove Broncos with both available motors. Noticed no big difference during the test drives. Changed to 2.3 because of the engine failures. Yeah, I realize the odds were minimal, but with my luck, “ bam”. The only thing I dislike about the Bronco is the motor choices. I keep vehicles forever. These motors using turbos don’t give me a warm and fuzzy feeling when it comes to longevity. As a card carrying geezer, I would have put up the extra cash for a V8 option. Not to mention, these rigs simply look like they should be sporting a V8.

BottleShark

Badlands
First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nautilus, Samurai, 12v Dodge, Fiero, Karma Ghia
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Originally ordered the 2.7. Drove Broncos with both available motors. Noticed no big difference during the test drives. Changed to 2.3 because of the engine failures. Yeah, I realize the odds were minimal, but with my luck, “ bam”. The only thing I dislike about the Bronco is the motor choices. I keep vehicles forever. These motors using turbos don’t give me a warm and fuzzy feeling when it comes to longevity. As a card carrying geezer, I would have put up the extra cash for a V8 option. Not to mention, these rigs simply look like they should be sporting a V8.
I think the days of new V8’s are over. We are just lucky they didn’t make it an EV…..

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Both are reliable engines in my opinion.

The 2.3L is an evolution of the old Mazda L engines (that Ford called “Duratec”)… which have been around since the mid-2000s. I guess you could say it almost a more “traditional” design, but don’t necessarily agree with myself by saying that. It is used in a wide variety of vehicles…. Focus, Mustang, Explorer, Ranger, etc. Great engine overall if you can keep the pistons cool, which Ford does by spraying the underside of the pistons with plenty of oil. So oil changes are very important for the long-term life of the engine (any engine really, but especially this one).

I am not super familiar with the 2.7L, but from what I understand it is less of an evolution and more of a “net-new” design. The first generation was used on a bunch of different Ford/Lincoln vehicles, including my favorite Ford Edge that Ford ever produced. The second generation which is used in the Bronco is only used in the F-150. I don’t know all of the changes they made on the second generation, but I haven’t heard of any major widespread issues. (Most of the F-150 issues revolve around the transmission.)

Personally I’m on team manual transmissions, so I’m forced into the 2.3L… although to be honest that probably would have been my choice anyway. I am relatively familiar with the Mazda L design, and have already owned several vehicles with the Mazda L engine including my current daily driver (Focus).

Also an added benefit… once my Bronco arrives all three of my vehicles will use the exact same oil filter. (y)

I think the days of new V8’s are over. We are just lucky they didn’t make it an EV…..
Oh don't worry… that’s coming. Well… a hybrid is coming for sure—full EV probably not for a long while.

The Wrangler 4xe is selling surprisingly well and has generated substantially more interest than the Wrangler 392. So no doubt Ford will want to hop on that bandwagon. (Honestly… a PowerBoost Bronco would be kinda cool.)

Snacktime

Black Diamond
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I don't think either will be a problem for 150k miles. After that I would not want the 2.7 due to dual turbos and plastic oil pan(my f150 pan leaks). Same with the 2.3 and potential carbon build up.

MNBigfoot

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
The Wrangler 4xe is selling surprisingly well and has generated substantially more interest than the Wrangler 392. So no doubt Ford will want to hop on that bandwagon. (Honestly… a PowerBoost Bronco would be kinda cool.)
To upgrade from a 4 cylinder to an V8 in an f150 costs $2330, the 392 starts at $81k+... or $45k over the Wrangler base. Perhaps a poor example of what would sell.
Sponsored