Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Explorer, 2019 GMC Canyon
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Blow through supercharger. Unthrottled supercharger which is sucking in air, blowing through an intercooler and then through a throttle body (or carb). The supercharger is the first thing past the air cleaner. What's your definition?
You have described a blow through system, but the original comment was regarding a Wipple Supercharger. Whipples replace the intake manifold-between the heads and the throttle body, making it physically impossible to install as a "blow through" design. This is similar in design to the old school "Roots or GMC style" Superchargers (or blowers) that typically had two four barrel carbs placed directly on top. The main difference is Whipple uses screw type rotors.

Here's Whipples Coyote kit, you can see the intake runners on the bottom left.

Ford Bronco 2022 Bronco Raptor Discovered in Ordering System – Reveals Body Code, 4-Door, Levels, Code Orange & Desert Sand Colors, Everglades Trim 548_2018_mustang_Polish_800

and the old school style

Ford Bronco 2022 Bronco Raptor Discovered in Ordering System – Reveals Body Code, 4-Door, Levels, Code Orange & Desert Sand Colors, Everglades Trim 305_radial_pic_1_800

From your description, I believe what you had was a centrifugal supercharger (Paxton, Vortech, ProCharger)

This is a Paxton centrifugal blow through, without an intercooler.

Ford Bronco 2022 Bronco Raptor Discovered in Ordering System – Reveals Body Code, 4-Door, Levels, Code Orange & Desert Sand Colors, Everglades Trim pax-1201850_xg_xl
Sponsored

ik_fk

First Edition
First Name
Sultan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
LC200 and 21 BRONCO FE
Your Bronco Model
First Edition

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
You have described a blow through system, but the original comment was regarding a Wipple Supercharger. Whipples replace the intake manifold-between the heads and the throttle body, making it physically impossible to install as a "blow through" design. This is similar in design to the old school "Roots or GMC style" Superchargers (or blowers) that typically had two four barrel carbs placed directly on top. The main difference is Whipple uses screw type rotors.

Here's Whipples Coyote kit, you can see the intake runners on the bottom left.

548_2018_mustang_Polish_800.jpg

and the old school style

305_radial_pic_1_800.jpg

From your description, I believe what you had was a centrifugal supercharger (Paxton, Vortech, ProCharger)

This is a Paxton centrifugal blow through, without an intercooler.

pax-1201850_xg_xl.jpg
Whipple is a brand of twin screw supercharger and the brand of supercharger that I used in that Miata was a Kenne-Bell 0.89 liter/rev Twin Screw supercharger that I purchased. So tell me about impossible again... Unusual, yes, but impossible... certainly not.

I tried to find pictures of the actual install, but unfortunately, I wasn't able to find the pictures of it (they are on a hard drive somewhere). It was all thoroughly documented on Miata.net. We custom fabricated the supercharger inlet and outlet manifolds, all pipes, and the intercooler setup.

Actually, later it ran a slightly better 1/4 mile...

Ford Bronco 2022 Bronco Raptor Discovered in Ordering System – Reveals Body Code, 4-Door, Levels, Code Orange & Desert Sand Colors, Everglades Trim 17600-1999-Mazda-Miata-MX5-Timesli

Ford Bronco 2022 Bronco Raptor Discovered in Ordering System – Reveals Body Code, 4-Door, Levels, Code Orange & Desert Sand Colors, Everglades Trim phpBYjwqN.full

Last edited:

Sponsored

Johnny Mo

Raptor
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
teachu2shoot.com
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion Energi, Ducati XDiavel
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

While I’m very glad this will exist, it’s going to be so highly priced, it’s basically going to be out of the reach of almost everybody.
I think you mean unjustifiable, not out of reach. The punchline will be, I'm not paying that much for a Bronco, or I don't see the added benefit over a fully loaded Badlands or WildTrak. Will it approach the cost of my last vehicle, yeah probably, will I be happy paying it,, no but I'm likely to tolerate it. I've waited over a year for my WildTrak, loved the original Raptor since day 1 and when I was about to pull the trigger on one, changed jobs from an 8 round trip mile commute to a 60 mile each way commute...this raptor turned into an HOV lane capable vehicle. Now I'm ready, even if it seems impractical or not worth the added cost over a different trim....value is defined differently by everyone.

texasgreazer

Heritage
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Explorer, 2019 GMC Canyon
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Whipple is a brand of twin screw supercharger and the brand of supercharger that I used in that Miata was a Kenne-Bell 0.89 liter/rev Twin Screw supercharger that I purchased. So tell me about impossible again... Unusual, yes, but impossible... certainly not.
I stand corrected then. Unusual for sure, enough that I assumed terminology was getting confused.

Apologies, and I'd love to see pics if you come across them.

Silver-Bolt

Wildtrak
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Raptor, 2020 Audi SQ5, 2023 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Has anyone else noticed that these "Raptor" spy images have large orange wiring on the bottom of the vehicle.

Ford Bronco 2022 Bronco Raptor Discovered in Ordering System – Reveals Body Code, 4-Door, Levels, Code Orange & Desert Sand Colors, Everglades Trim phpBYjwqN.full

" Orange cables are used to indicate high-voltage wiring (greater than 60v DC). " this is what I found when searching for hybrid and orange wiring. These large thick wires are what I have seen in some electric and hybrid vehicles before. Kind of like the ones right in front of the driver rear wheel here......

Anyone have thoughts?
You will find these on every Ford test mule. Not hybrid.

Sponsored

rivasrubicon

Raptor
First Name
Patric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Genesis G70, 2018 Corolla
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Has anyone else noticed that these "Raptor" spy images have large orange wiring on the bottom of the vehicle.

" Orange cables are used to indicate high-voltage wiring (greater than 60v DC). " this is what I found when searching for hybrid and orange wiring. These large thick wires are what I have seen in some electric and hybrid vehicles before. Kind of like the ones right in front of the driver rear wheel here......

Anyone have thoughts?
reading on the forums and doing my own research, people have speculated that the aviator hybrid set up would be an option.On paper it challenges the 392 in terms of HP and Torque. It would be a bad ass edition if they did. People have been concerned with the weight aspect, and placement of battery, but the Jeep 4xe has done it, we gotta stop making excuses as to not embracing this possibility.

rivasrubicon

Raptor
First Name
Patric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Genesis G70, 2018 Corolla
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

My heart is excited to finally see this thing! We had rumors here indicating it would be a ‘22!

My brain hurts knowing getting one at MSRP will be VERY difficult
When this comes out, I will document my experience with my dealer. I think they are awesome and now we gotta wait for the follow through. I’ll shoot you their info if you need it. I got the wife’s raptor below sticker.

uncledoodoo

Everglades
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
00 XJ, 56 F100, 11 Volvo XC90, Everglades
Your Bronco Model
Everglades
Clubs

V8 in the Bronco? Thats not happening unfortunately, doesn't fit.
Which V8? What's the issue, length, width, height? if the width is the problem, the Godzilla 7.3 might fit.

VictoryLights

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Pilot
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Base Raptor pricing will be very interesting. I’m paying $55k for a badlands, so I will have some regrets if you can land a raptor under $60k.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.