First Name
Jimbo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Today, I cried a little - after learning my order, which includes the modular painted hardtop, will be a 2022 model. Now, I'm not entirely sure whether that means an Oct, Nov, Or Spring 2022 order. Who knows. No one knows. Blabla. But, good things come to those that wait...

I wanted to provide my logic for sticking with the build I want and not making any compromises to get something sooner.

I'm sure I'll be roasted for even sharing these ideas, as many will want to defend their rational. And we'll, it's the internet..

Buyers remorse: MIC

Sure, you may get your vehicle sooner - but beware.

-Painting an MIC: don't even bother...I've been told by many shops it will either be prohibitively expensive and/or the results may be crap. Blabla plastidip/Linex - let's be realistic...
-Resale value: talking to a few Jeep dealers, it's rare they sell a Jeep with one. Resell value is generally lower for those that trade in; moreover, once Broncos start flowing into the market with painted tops, your resale value will likely take a hit. Maybe you care, maybe you don't...
-"I'll just buy the painted version" Good luck...such a top will be prohibitively expensive to buy and ship. Not too much it'll likely be some time before you'll be even able to do so. Try calling Jeep and see what they charge for one...

I'm sure for some, they will wheel it and don't want the top painted, for some getting the vehicle sooner is more important. Just wanted to be the devil's advocate, since sometimes instant gratification overules logic. I'll will continue to limp along with my Jeep until such time and be patient. Good things come to those that wait :)
Sponsored

JHawk

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I am firmly a member of this group. Short term pain for long term happiness.
I am not a MIC fan. To each their own but looking at it every day would be a constant irritant.
On the other hand hopping in my bronco with it's shiny black\white top will make me happy.
Besides I have waited this long what is a few more months.

Sponsored

Marauder

Badlands
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hereā€™s my rationale:

I want the painted top because I have an idea of how I want my Bronco to look. If I accept the MIC + $1000, Iā€™ll be hard pressed to actually sell that MIC Top because mine will be a 2-Door and the Standard is MIC. So, I likely wonā€™t get much value for it AND I would likely need to store it, too.

Plus, all indications suggest the Painted Modular Top will cost a pretty penny as an accessory independently bought outside of my order. So, Iā€™m better off waiting.

Im fortunate my car is in good condition, and I can put down an even bigger down payment, so while I was already anticipating a late summer/early fall delivery... whatā€™s the difference in waiting more when I know Iā€™ll get what I want.

hopefully, my first day reservation means Iā€™ll be one of the first to rock the MOD Top

grewhi

Badlands
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maserati MC
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

MIC with A51/BL looks pretty good as the rest of the trim pieces match. It doesn't look Frankenstein. Other colors/trims not so much. If I was in res for a WT or FE I would be pissed.

OP
OP

Jeep4bronco86

Badlands
First Name
Jimbo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I wheel my Jeep offroad all the time. It's White, still looks great. Ever worried, I'd say apply PPF and you're invincible.

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 4dr Badsquatch, ā€˜05 LJ & ā€˜17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
That's why my wife is getting a 21MY w/ MIC and a 22MY w/ painted mod top. She'll be in her Bronco while waiting for the actual spec she wanted this whole time. Figured that would be quicker, easier and less headache than waiting for a mod top that can be purchased from the parts counter and then having to get it painted. She offroads her vehicles on moderate to difficult trails but I'm not worried about pin striping the top. My truck doesn't have a MIC top, sits up high and takes a beating on trails and still looks in great shape.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Jeep4bronco86

Badlands
First Name
Jimbo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Hereā€™s my rationale:

I want the painted top because I have an idea of how I want my Bronco to look. If I accept the MIC + $1000, Iā€™ll be hard pressed to actually sell that MIC Top because mine will be a 2-Door and the Standard is MIC. So, I likely wonā€™t get much value for it AND I would likely need to store it, too.

Plus, all indications suggest the Painted Modular Top will cost a pretty penny as an accessory independently bought outside of my order. So, Iā€™m better off waiting.

Im fortunate my car is in good condition, and I can put down an even bigger down payment, so while I was already anticipating a late summer/early fall delivery... whatā€™s the difference in waiting more when I know Iā€™ll get what I want.

hopefully, my first day reservation means Iā€™ll be one of the first to rock the MOD Top
We have a funny way of rationalizing our decisions in the name of instant gratification: oh I'll just sell my MIC and buy a painted top, blabal. But the reality will likely be very different. This roof will cost a small fortune aftermarket - it's not going to be 2.5k - if you'll even be able to get one - as I'm sure Ford will choke aftermarket supply to feed new deliveries. And the MIC will be worth nothing in the used market, because everyone will be trying to offload theirs.

I honestly think the MIC will come with delayed regret. I don't know, seems silly to me to pay 60k+ for a half painted vehicle - regardless of whatever rational I can cook up; moreover, at least with painted body panels one could wrap the vehicle. MIC, you're stuck with it. Likely for a long time...

And as you've said... we've come this far. The reality in my mind, the Bronco isn't ready until 22. I blame covid.

Marauder

Badlands
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

We have a funny way of rationalizing our decisions in the name of instant gratification: oh I'll just sell my MIC and buy a painted top, blabal. But the reality will likely be very different. This roof will cost a small fortune aftermarket - it's not going to be 2.5k - if you'll even be able to get one - as I'm sure Ford will choke aftermarket supply to feed new deliveries. And the MIC will be worth nothing in the used market, because everyone will be trying to offload theirs.

I honestly think the MIC will come with delayed regret. I don't know, seems silly to me to pay 60k+ for a half painted vehicle - regardless of whatever rational I can cook up; moreover, at least with painted body panels one could wrap the vehicle. MIC, you're stuck with it. Likely for a long time...

And as you've said... we've come this far. The reality in my mind, the Bronco isn't ready until 22. I blame covid.
Yep, blame COVID and look for the positives.

you get what you want. Hopefully dodge initial problems, get a glimpse at 2022 options while still being locked in at 2021 prices... possibly some after market options, and more performance accessories to save up for than their 4 Plate Frames.

sure, I was bummed, but Iā€™m also reasonable and optimistic.

Bronc-O

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lincoln Aviator
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I thought I wouldn't do it, but changed to MIC. At least I'll have the Sunrider in front and I'll try not to look at the other 2/3 of the roof.:(

Carolina Jim

Black Diamond
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I like to make Informed decisions. Unfortunately, that's not possible here:
  • Performance wise, no one has long-term experience with the MIC
  • By auctioning off VIN001 with a MIC top, Ford is telling us the current MOD has really bad juju
  • There's no way of knowing what the MOD remedy will entail - nor when it will be streetable. Could be MY22 Job #1...or Job #100,000
  • There's no way of knowing what you'll have to buy to be able to access a white or body-colored top, much less when they will be available
Sponsored