Sponsored

2022 Electric Transit = 2022 Electric Bronco?

dmtndan

Big Bend
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1991 Silverado, 2014 Malibu
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

We all know Ford and Rivian have a little partnership going on and one can assume that this is how they planned to provide Amazon with the full electric fleet.... just seeing that this was posted as a “future vehicle” on the Ford website and the All electric F-150 was not yet could we be seeing the rivian rebranded skateboard underneith this upcoming vehicle? Please correct me if I’m wrong, but wasn’t the Rivian RT1 midsize? (Full size by weight) this skateboard and tech could possibly find its way to Bronco!

D13E08CD-4457-46DC-B8D1-B37256467A98.jpeg

B9DB3673-1194-4C1D-82E4-429CF33496EE.jpeg
Sponsored

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 WRANGLER THAT GEICO SPENT $14K FIXING
Your Bronco Model
Base
From what I understand Ford is only utilizing Rivian’s skateboard for the rivian vehicles, and for an upcoming Lincoln. They will still utilize the tech they’ve developed I’m sure but not the platform.

Electric Bronco/F-150 will be modified versions of their respective platforms, not a whole new one. IIRC one of the electric F-150 patents had a way to fill the frame rails with batteries or something. I’d expect electric B ronco to be the same

OP
OP
dmtndan

dmtndan

Big Bend
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1991 Silverado, 2014 Malibu
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I find it interesting and would think that financially putting a vehicle out there that is already proved itself, with the Rivian tech may help Rivian out and in return help Ford (Investments). I wonder what Chrispy would say about the Transit... he sure did say a lot about them in the past.

Paint

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Rivian is on schedule to beat the Bronco to production isn't it?

It's also on my short list of trucks, right there with the Bronco.

CJay

Badlands
First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 Ranger FX4 (MANUAL) & '74 VW Thing
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I, for the life of me, do not understand the interest in electric off-road vehicles with the current state of batteries. I understand fleet and commuter vehicles, and even highway travel in them. But the range anxiety of long distance highway travel has to pale in comparison with being out on a trail miles from a charger and realizing that last hill chewed up more charge than expected.
I get Hybrid or PHEV, in particular if the hybrid serves as a generator... just not full electric.

Not criticizing, just looking for alternative viewpoints.

Sponsored

FirstOnRaceDay

Base
First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic, 19.5 Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
The great part of EV is they don’t need to much of a “platform”. As long as the battery fits between the frame rails and the motor fits where the differentials were then your good to go.

and if the bronco gets a FULL electric version. Don’t expect it to be some hardcore version. Probably a luxury cruiser

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I, for the life of me, do not understand the interest in electric off-road vehicles with the current state of batteries. I understand fleet and commuter vehicles, and even highway travel in them. But the range anxiety of long distance highway travel has to pale in comparison with being out on a trail miles from a charger and realizing that last hill chewed up more charge than expected.
I get Hybrid or PHEV, in particular if the hybrid serves as a generator... just not full electric.

I would just bring a big ass costco generator if you are planning on going to the limit of your batteries but for a day or afternoon of wheeling i doubt itd be a problem. Also i want electric vans to have dual solar camping awnings may take a whole day to charge but hey its free.

Superds

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Undecided

I don’t have any calculations readily available to back this up but my theory is that the battery would actually hold up pretty well during the off-roading, even some hill climbs. It’s speed that is your highest battery consumption. Most off-roading is at slow speeds so your battery life should be pretty decent, just don’t expect to drive 150 miles into the desert, wheel all day and be able to drive 150 miles home.

The electric vehicle gives packaging and other advantages which make it attractive to some.

securitysix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I'm right there with you. I think it would be fine for a day trip, but if you're thinking about anything resembling overlanding, you'd need a hell of a solar setup and a lot of downtime during the day to be able to do what a few jerry cans full of gas can accomplish.

I don't doubt they'd be really capable offroad, though. Who needs transfer cases and locking diffs when each wheel has its own motor? And 42.7" of wading depth? That's awesome. The $69,000 starting price tag for the R1T and the $72,000 starting price for the R1S make them both a hard "no" from me, even if I had the solar setup and/or trust in battery tech to try wheeling one.

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
I'm right there with you. I think it would be fine for a day trip, but if you're thinking about anything resembling overlanding, you'd need a hell of a solar setup and a lot of downtime during the day to be able to do what a few jerry cans full of gas can accomplish.

I don't doubt they'd be really capable offroad, though. Who needs transfer cases and locking diffs when each wheel has its own motor? And 42.7" of wading depth? That's awesome. The $69,000 starting price tag for the R1T and the $72,000 starting price for the R1S make them both a hard "no" from me, even if I had the solar setup and/or trust in battery tech to try wheeling one.
T A N K T U R N
A
N
K
T
U
R
N
Ford Bronco 2022 Electric Transit = 2022 Electric Bronco? 14D3AF8F-2014-49D5-8609-D7E42BA371AD

Sponsored

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Not gonna lie. That's badass. I'm still too poor to afford one, even if I did trust current battery tech.
it’s by far the coolest feature I’ve seen an an electric vehicle. My buddy who builds jeeps hates electric/hybrid crap but I showed him that and his mind was blown.

CJay

Badlands
First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I don’t have any calculations readily available to back this up but my theory is that the battery would actually hold up pretty well during the off-roading, even some hill climbs. It’s speed that is your highest battery consumption. Most off-roading is at slow speeds so your battery life should be pretty decent, just don’t expect to drive 150 miles into the desert, wheel all day and be able to drive 150 miles home.

The electric vehicle gives packaging and other advantages which make it attractive to some.
Not an expert, but as I understand, peak efficiency is going to be at some sort of steady state operation. Starting, stopping, climbing and accelerating are all going to reduce your mileage.
In effort to bolster this, I reference a video where TFL took a Tesla X off-road. While I understand it was not designed for this environment, I think many of the energy usage concerns are the same.
It's been a while since I watch this, but as I recall, they had pretty significant range anxiety.

I agree the independent wheel motors should provide some significant capabilities... and the programming options for drive modes on various terrain could be amazing, but I'll wait for next level batteries.

T A N K T U R N
A
N
K
T
U
R
N
Yes TankTurn is very cool... But for the price, I can live with a front dig.

Superds

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Not an expert, but as I understand, peak efficiency is going to be at some sort of steady state operation. Starting, stopping, climbing and accelerating are all going to reduce your mileage.
In effort to bolster this, I reference a video where TFL took a Tesla X off-road. While I understand it was not designed for this environment, I think many of the energy usage concerns are the same.
It's been a while since I watch this, but as I recall, they had pretty significant range anxiety.

I agree the independent wheel motors should provide some significant capabilities... and the programming options for drive modes on various terrain could be amazing, but I'll wait for next level batteries.

Yes TankTurn is very cool... But for the price, I can live with a front dig.
What you’re saying about steady state is true, increases efficiency. I still think overall speed is a significant factor in efficiency. I haven’t seen that video before, I’ll have to take a look at it.

CJay

Badlands
First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
What you’re saying about steady state is true, increases efficiency. I still think overall speed is a significant factor in efficiency. I haven’t seen that video before, I’ll have to take a look at it.
The range is noted right at the very end.

TFL also did a Gauntlet towing video with the X, in which the Tesla demonstrated the amazing capabilities of electric motors. Unfortunately again they had significant range anxiety. As I recall, they even let the chase vehicle tow the trailer back to the offices.

Now that I think about it, most of their X videos resulted in range anxiety, to the extent that I believe they even tried to charge with a portable inverter generator.
Sponsored