kmach321
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 F150 Tremor
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I utilized this forum throughout the process of researching, ordering, and customizing our Bronco. Now that I have the build how my wife wants it, I figured I'd share some info back to the community and field any questions.

Goal was to get a good looking daily driver that can still handle dirt roads and hunting trips. We save the hardcore off-road for the UTV's (please keep any hate or negativity to yourselves). I will go through the items from largest to smallest in the thread. Here is a pic of the finished product:
Ford Bronco 2022 Outer Banks (Non-Sas) Build - Wife's Daily Driver - Blacked-Out IMG_9743

Here is where we started...factory line photo!
Ford Bronco 2022 Outer Banks (Non-Sas) Build - Wife's Daily Driver - Blacked-Out 2022 Ford Bronco Assembly Line Photo

Rough Country 2" spacer lift:
Within days of receiving, I rolled it into my humble garage and installed the 2" Rough Country spacer lift. Took me pretty much a full day's work doing solo (split across 2 days). Only had a few small challenges, but overall went smooth. I opted to go the route of removing the front LCA vs the instructions of removing axle nut. I researched the pros and cons of both options and this is where I landed. I used this video for my main guidance.

I would say I only had 2 real challenges.:
-#1 - It was challenging getting the rear struts back in there after attaching the spacer....space is tight and no one really mentions that you rotate the strut to reinstall.
-#2 - It was challenging getting the rear sway bar back into alignment. I ended up using a combination of a floor jack under the diff, bottle jack under the passenger axle + ratchet strap to kinda winch it over for the bolt alignment. Super janky, but it worked.
Ford Bronco 2022 Outer Banks (Non-Sas) Build - Wife's Daily Driver - Blacked-Out IMG_7440

Ford Bronco 2022 Outer Banks (Non-Sas) Build - Wife's Daily Driver - Blacked-Out IMG_7442

Here are some measurements. I was pretty happy with the outcome of the kit...got me exactly where I wanted it
Ground to FenderBeforeAfterIncrease
Front Driver
36.313​
38.313​
2.000​
Front Passenger
36.125​
38.375​
2.250​
Rear Driver
37.750​
39.500​
1.750​
Rear Passenger
37.625​
39.500​
1.875​
AVG Front
36.219​
38.344​
2.125​
AVG Rear
37.688​
39.500​
1.813​
Front Rake Before
1.469​
Front Rake After
1.156​

Wheels and Tires
Bit of a story here. The rims we wanted were on serious backorder everywhere. @Discount Tire has always treated my right, so I ordered a package deal from them and started the waiting game.

In the meantime, I wanted to preview what it would look like blacked out. I bought a Hyperdip $130 Wheel Kit + 1 extra can for the spare(higher-end line of Plastidip). Cleaned wheels and got to spraying. It made an absolute mess. If you are going to do this anywhere besides over dirt/gravel, lay down plastic. Lots of plastic. I did it with the wheels attached, but not sure I would do it that way again...had to tape+plastic lots off. Best to do it upright so the cans spray properly, but made a mess regardless. Cans sprayed splotchy, finish was hard to perfect, etc. But it got the job done as a temporary solution. Here is a before and after pic (lift already installed).
Ford Bronco 2022 Outer Banks (Non-Sas) Build - Wife's Daily Driver - Blacked-Out IMG_7635e

After a few months of lead time, the wheels finally came in. It was now time to mount up and install. Here are the details:
Wheels = Fuel Twitch 20x9 +01 offset (D77220909850)
Tires = Nitto 35 x 11.50R20 Recon Grappler (218-090)
- I went with the 11.50 width over the "standard" 12.50 for a few reasons. Mainly it was a weight play. These were about 10lbs lighter...less weight on vehicle components (steering, drivetrain, tailgate, etc). Didn't need the heavier ply and extra inch....like the way these poke, but not too much. Still tall, but not too fat. Came out right where I wanted in my personal opinion.
- Skipped the Spare Tire tailgate reinforcement. No sag, currently no issues. I did, however, use a 2 black racquetballs for as spacer wedges for the bottom stabilizers....it works great and takes some pressure off when slamming the gate, hitting some bumps, etc.
- Here are some more pics the day we got them installed:
Ford Bronco 2022 Outer Banks (Non-Sas) Build - Wife's Daily Driver - Blacked-Out IMG_8561

Ford Bronco 2022 Outer Banks (Non-Sas) Build - Wife's Daily Driver - Blacked-Out IMG_8779

Ford Bronco 2022 Outer Banks (Non-Sas) Build - Wife's Daily Driver - Blacked-Out IMG_8796

Diabolical Slipstream Cargo Enclosure
This was a tough decision for me. In the end, I saw value in the design and flexibility of the Slipstream system over the OEM (Tuffy) options. I was leaning towards the Tuffy raised lid version, but once I realized the process to remove the front wall, I moved onto the Slipstream.

Slipstream is a good product...sturdy and durable materials, made in USA, helpful and engaging owner, excellent design/engineering, impressive packaging, etc. However, it has some drawbacks. The installation is a 4+ hour, serial process of following along and piecing together multiple installation videos (soft-top option). Lots of alignment to get things right.

My number 1 complaint was overcoming the rattling challenge. I watched the "Slipstream Maintenance" video, I scoured the forums, I searched for any and all options. This thing rattles once installed...there should be no debate around that. The metal on metal, the enclosure lid, and most notably the quick-release pins. After days of incremental improvement and test runs I got enough additional foam padding spread out, bolts tightened, and Plastidip'd the pins to finally get it to an acceptable level. It is finally quiet, but the pins are now extremely challenging to pull out due to my rubberized coating hack, but it's a trade-off to keep the rattling down. Perhaps others don't have this problem or found a better way to solve it? I am still torn on if I should have just gone with the Tuffy brand, but time will tell to see how often I fold down the front wall and/or remove the lid with the Slipstream efficiencies and superior design/engineering.

Regarding the foam padding on the top....Wife didn't like the Diabolical skull logo and I didn't like the price. I later purchased some Marine foam decking off Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09GVC1RVN/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1), cut it, and installed. Worked great for my needs.

Ford Bronco 2022 Outer Banks (Non-Sas) Build - Wife's Daily Driver - Blacked-Out IMG_8603

Ford Bronco 2022 Outer Banks (Non-Sas) Build - Wife's Daily Driver - Blacked-Out IMG_8602e

Ford Bronco 2022 Outer Banks (Non-Sas) Build - Wife's Daily Driver - Blacked-Out IMG_8605

Xpel Ceramic Tint
Went with Xpel Prime XR Plus on all 4 windows and clear on windshield. Keeps the heat out...darkens things up...filters UV and IR. No brainer for me....best money I've spent.

Jtops Bimini Shade
Pretty solid product, I've been very happy with it. Does what it says...keeps the sun off of you and makes a world of difference sitting at a stoplight mid-Texas summer. No flapping, no issues.

WeatherTech Mats
I am very happy with these mats. Evaluated Husky brand....but kinda a toss up for your average consumer. One consideration is that I wish the rear cargo mat had a lip for the rear cargo ledge. In hindsight, I might have ordered the Ford Factory cargo mat as it has this lip covered as part of the mat.

Modified Crash Bars from 4WP
Plenty of debate over these, but for $216 total, the safety + peace of mind is worth it. Simple install, would recommend.

PPF, lettering, vinyl, etc.
- Bought mostly everything from @StickerFab ....great buying experience. Ford Emblem Vinyl, CF door kick plates, CF roll bar PPF, CF cargo protector, etc...too much to list.
- Tuffskinz Grill Lettering. Easy install, came out perfect.
- Added a heavy amount of adhesive padding around the soft top folding mechanisms to avoid the dreaded roll bar scratches.

Curt Receiver Hitch
I skipped tow package on my order to get it in sooner. Won't do much hauling, so wasn't too bummed about not having the trailer lights. Bought this for $100 and install was a breeze....15 minutes tops.

Other small things
- Removed factory Badge (hairdryer and plastic tool) and bought a Bronco Script Badge off Etsy.
- Console and Glove box organizer from Amazon...this made a huge difference!
- Bartact Fire extinguisher mount

That is all for now. I had some other items on my original list; but think it's currently at a good place for our want/needs. I was originally planning on adding ARB Zenith front/rear bumpers, but have since cooled down on that. Any suggestions welcome.

Hope this helps anyone out there trying to make decisions. I will answer any questions I can. Happy Bronco'ing :)

Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
kmach321

kmach321

Outer Banks
First Name
kmach321
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 F150 Tremor
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

You should add the grill inserts, fairly inexpensive and look pretty decent. like this:
Ford Bronco 2022 Outer Banks (Non-Sas) Build - Wife's Daily Driver - Blacked-Out IMG_2291
Thanks, those do look good. Here is a pic from the front after I put on the Tufskinz. I'll research the inserts...thank you!
Ford Bronco 2022 Outer Banks (Non-Sas) Build - Wife's Daily Driver - Blacked-Out IMG_7543e

Bellime

Outer Banks
First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I like your choice of tires and rims, thanks for the pics. Have you considered replacing the running boards. I replaced mine with OEM Rock Rails and IAG Steps.
Ford Bronco 2022 Outer Banks (Non-Sas) Build - Wife's Daily Driver - Blacked-Out IMG_1699

Sponsored

Discount Tire

Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
discountti.re
Vehicle(s)
All Things FORD
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I utilized this forum throughout the process of researching, ordering, and customizing our Bronco. Now that I have the build how my wife wants it, I figured I'd share some info back to the community and field any questions.

Goal was to get a good looking daily driver that can still handle dirt roads and hunting trips. We save the hardcore off-road for the UTV's (please keep any hate or negativity to yourselves). I will go through the items from largest to smallest in the thread. Here is a pic of the finished product:
Ford Bronco 2022 Outer Banks (Non-Sas) Build - Wife's Daily Driver - Blacked-Out IMG_1699

Within days of receiving, I rolled it into my humble garage and installed the 2" Rough Country spacer lift. Took me pretty much a full day's work doing solo (split across 2 days). Only had a few small challenges, but overall went smooth. I opted to go the route of removing the front LCA vs the instructions of removing axle nut. I researched the pros and cons of both options and this is where I landed. I used this video for my main guidance.

-#1 - It was challenging getting the rear struts back in there after attaching the spacer....space is tight and no one really mentions that you rotate the strut to reinstall.
-#2 - It was challenging getting the rear sway bar back into alignment. I ended up using a combination of a floor jack under the diff, bottle jack under the passenger axle + ratchet strap to kinda winch it over for the bolt alignment. Super janky, but it worked.

Here are some measurements. I was pretty happy with the outcome of the kit...got me exactly where I wanted it
Front Driver
36.313​
38.313​
2.000​
Front Passenger
36.125​
38.375​
2.250​
Rear Driver
37.750​
39.500​
1.750​
Rear Passenger
37.625​
39.500​
1.875​
AVG Front
36.219​
38.344​
2.125​
AVG Rear
37.688​
39.500​
1.813​
Front Rake Before
1.469​
Front Rake After
1.156​

Wheels and Tires
Bit of a story here. The rims we wanted were on serious backorder everywhere. @Discount Tire has always treated my right, so I ordered a package deal from them and started the waiting game.

In the meantime, I wanted to preview what it would look like blacked out. I bought a Hyperdip $130 Wheel Kit + 1 extra can for the spare(higher-end line of Plastidip). Cleaned wheels and got to spraying. It made an absolute mess. If you are going to do this anywhere besides over dirt/gravel, lay down plastic. Lots of plastic. I did it with the wheels attached, but not sure I would do it that way again...had to tape+plastic lots off. Best to do it upright so the cans spray properly, but made a mess regardless. Cans sprayed splotchy, finish was hard to perfect, etc. But it got the job done as a temporary solution. Here is a before and after pic (lift already installed).

After a few months of lead time, the wheels finally came in. It was now time to mount up and install. Here are the details:
- I went with the 11.50 width over the "standard" 12.50 for a few reasons. Mainly it was a weight play. These were about 10lbs lighter...less weight on vehicle components (steering, drivetrain, tailgate, etc). Didn't need the heavier ply and extra inch....like the way these poke, but not too much. Still tall, but not too fat. Came out right where I wanted in my personal opinion.
- Skipped the Spare Tire tailgate reinforcement. No sag, currently no issues. I did, however, use a 2 black racquetballs for as spacer wedges for the bottom stabilizers....it works great and takes some pressure off when slamming the gate, hitting some bumps, etc.

This was a tough decision for me. In the end, I saw value in the design and flexibility of the Slipstream system over the OEM (Tuffy) options. I was leaning towards the Tuffy raised lid version, but once I realized the process to remove the front wall, I moved onto the Slipstream.

Slipstream is a good product...sturdy and durable materials, made in USA, helpful and engaging owner, excellent design/engineering, impressive packaging, etc. However, it has some drawbacks. The installation is a 4+ hour, serial process of following along and piecing together multiple installation videos (soft-top option). Lots of alignment to get things right.

My number 1 complaint was overcoming the rattling challenge. I watched the "Slipstream Maintenance" video, I scoured the forums, I searched for any and all options. This thing rattles once installed...there should be no debate around that. The metal on metal, the enclosure lid, and most notably the quick-release pins. After days of incremental improvement and test runs I got enough additional foam padding spread out, bolts tightened, and Plastidip'd the pins to finally get it to an acceptable level. It is finally quiet, but the pins are now extremely challenging to pull out due to my rubberized coating hack, but it's a trade-off to keep the rattling down. Perhaps others don't have this problem or found a better way to solve it? I am still torn on if I should have just gone with the Tuffy brand, but time will tell to see how often I fold down the front wall and/or remove the lid with the Slipstream efficiencies and superior design/engineering.

Regarding the foam padding on the top....Wife didn't like the Diabolical skull logo and I didn't like the price. I later purchased some Marine foam decking off Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09GVC1RVN/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1), cut it, and installed. Worked great for my needs.

Xpel Ceramic Tint
Went with Xpel Prime XR Plus on all 4 windows and clear on windshield. Keeps the heat out...darkens things up...filters UV and IR. No brainer for me....best money I've spent.

Jtops Bimini Shade
Pretty solid product, I've been very happy with it. Does what it says...keeps the sun off of you and makes a world of difference sitting at a stoplight mid-Texas summer. No flapping, no issues.

WeatherTech Mats
I am very happy with these mats. Evaluated Husky brand....but kinda a toss up for your average consumer. One consideration is that I wish the rear cargo mat had a lip for the rear cargo ledge. In hindsight, I might have ordered the Ford Factory cargo mat as it has this lip covered as part of the mat.

Plenty of debate over these, but for $216 total, the safety + peace of mind is worth it. Simple install, would recommend.

- Bought mostly everything from @StickerFab ....great buying experience. Ford Emblem Vinyl, CF door kick plates, CF roll bar PPF, CF cargo protector, etc...too much to list.
- Added a heavy amount of adhesive padding around the soft top folding mechanisms to avoid the dreaded roll bar scratches.

Curt Receiver Hitch
I skipped tow package on my order to get it in sooner. Won't do much hauling, so wasn't too bummed about not having the trailer lights. Bought this for $100 and install was a breeze....15 minutes tops.

Other small things
- Removed factory Badge (hairdryer and plastic tool) and bought a Bronco Script Badge off Etsy.

That is all for now. I had some other items on my original list; but think it's currently at a good place for our want/needs. I was originally planning on adding ARB Zenith front/rear bumpers, but have since cooled down on that. Any suggestions welcome.

Hope this helps anyone out there trying to make decisions. I will answer any questions I can. Happy Bronco'ing :)

All of that hard work has paid off. A very capable, good looking rig! Thank you for your patronage and patience!

WLDCATR

Wildtrak
First Name
KW
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Wld '22 - 23 SQ8 AUDI
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Front Driver
36.313​
38.313​
2.000​
Front Passenger
36.125​
38.375​
2.250​
Rear Driver
37.750​
39.500​
1.750​
Rear Passenger
37.625​
39.500​
1.875​
AVG Front
36.219​
38.344​
2.125​
AVG Rear
37.688​
39.500​
1.813​
Front Rake Before
1.469​
Front Rake After
1.156​

Wheels and Tires

Xpel Ceramic Tint

Jtops Bimini Shade

WeatherTech Mats

Curt Receiver Hitch

Other small things

Great work and thanks for the info. Question; do you find it very noisy inside while on the highway? I have a '22 Wildtrak and my wife and I have to almost yell to hear each other talk. Ditto when playing music. How is it inside yours?

Bronco Buster Wayne

Outer Banks
First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
95 F150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks

Front Driver
36.313​
38.313​
2.000​
Front Passenger
36.125​
38.375​
2.250​
Rear Driver
37.750​
39.500​
1.750​
Rear Passenger
37.625​
39.500​
1.875​
AVG Front
36.219​
38.344​
2.125​
AVG Rear
37.688​
39.500​
1.813​
Front Rake Before
1.469​
Front Rake After
1.156​

Wheels and Tires

Xpel Ceramic Tint

Jtops Bimini Shade

WeatherTech Mats

Curt Receiver Hitch

Other small things

Looks awesome! Here is my 22 OB SAS, so far!
Ford Bronco 2022 Outer Banks (Non-Sas) Build - Wife's Daily Driver - Blacked-Out 20230412_191636

MikeM173

Outer Banks
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I love yours. I almost went with black but I they wouldn’t come down in price the same as they would this one since it was on the lot longer. They even went up on my trade in since I told them I was settling with this color, even though I still liked it. Mine is a 2023, and the wife got a matching 2022. Only difference other than year is hers is the Lux and mine is High. I’m not done yet, but I’ve been taking photos. I might need to do the same! Great idea and enjoy the completed ride!

Ford Bronco 2022 Outer Banks (Non-Sas) Build - Wife's Daily Driver - Blacked-Out IMG_0980

the poacher

Badlands
First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 ford ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Very kind of you to write out such an in-depth dissertation of your additions to your Bronco. Thank you for that as I am sure it will be appreciate by many. Great looking Bronco now. Your partner is very lucky!

Sponsored

Bellime

Outer Banks
First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

OP
OP
kmach321

kmach321

Outer Banks
First Name
kmach321
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 F150 Tremor
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Great work and thanks for the info. Question; do you find it very noisy inside while on the highway? I have a '22 Wildtrak and my wife and I have to almost yell to hear each other talk. Ditto when playing music. How is it inside yours?
Yes, I found the interior noise on the highway quite loud. It's fine for short trips and such, but louder than I prefer on longer road trips. At highway speeds, it is right on the edge of an auditory nuisance IMO. Even more apparent when you get a phone call and have to turn the volume way up. I didn't notice much difference when I upgraded to the Nitto Recon Grapplers....they are surprisingly quiet.

Guess us soft-top Bronco owners mush pay some penance for the ability to throw back the top enjoying nice days. For highway driving or road trips, my '23 F150 Tremor is a dream to drive....comfortable, quiet, and spacious.

OP
OP
kmach321

kmach321

Outer Banks
First Name
kmach321
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 F150 Tremor
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I love yours. I almost went with black but I they wouldn’t come down in price the same as they would this one since it was on the lot longer. They even went up on my trade in since I told them I was settling with this color, even though I still liked it. Mine is a 2023, and the wife got a matching 2022. Only difference other than year is hers is the Lux and mine is High. I’m not done yet, but I’ve been taking photos. I might need to do the same! Great idea and enjoy the completed ride!

Ford Bronco 2022 Outer Banks (Non-Sas) Build - Wife's Daily Driver - Blacked-Out IMG_0980
Looking good! Love those sliders. Question for you - What front splash guards are those on the front fender and do your recommend? Nothing worse than having a fresh wash and hitting a tiny puddle. The curse of offset wheels....

MikeM173

Outer Banks
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Looking good! Love those sliders. Question for you - What front splash guards are those on the front fender and do your recommend? Nothing worse than having a fresh wash and hitting a tiny puddle. The curse of offset wheels....
The wife has Mabett on hers and they have worked well. After ordering and installing I found the Ford ones cheaper. I’m not sure if they are better quality or mount nicer or not, but the Mabett ones she likes and they have worked.

I have Rallyarmor. I intend on doing some rock crawling with mine and wanted a something that would still hold up. After getting these installed I’m sure I’ll end up ripping these off eventually. The hard plastic sits a little too low, so I’m sure it’ll get caught still. If I was going for just looks, they look great in my opinion. Especially with the wider stance from the different offset. They helped catch that, and it’s at least saving my paint in the mean time.

Posted a better picture of them so you could see if you liked them as well.

IMG_0966.jpeg
Sponsored