Sponsored

2022 Bronco has rear sway bar UPDATE: POLL ADDED

Does your MY 2022 Bronco have a rear sway bar?

• 2022 2 door Badlands has rear sway bar

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak, 2012 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

4 Door no tow package.

I asked co-workers to get some details and while my statements made here are not representative of Ford in an official capacity, the sway bar appears to serve as the change for 2022 that allows a roof-rack on Sasquatch. This explains why development Everglades had this from the start considering it has a rack system of it's own.
Yeah but OP has a 4 door SAS with no roof rack and still has the rear sway bar, which is confusing.
Sponsored

Trilifter7

Badlands
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F-150, 2022 Badlands 7MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I wonder if it’s a 2.7 thing for 2022?

UncleBuck

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Ranger XLT 4.0L - 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My '21 4 Door Badlands Sas 2.7 was built the first week of december. It does not have rear sway bar but does appear to have the holes and brackets for one to be bolted on.

OP
OP
Broncoman7072

Broncoman7072

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
72 Bronco, 70 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Just to add my Bronco was built 12-23-2021. So it's in the first few days of MY 22 production. I don't know exactly when the model year change over happened. But it was during the week of 12-20-2021.

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Might also get a bit more tow rating (eventually) on 4 dr with this, and smaller tire packages.

Sponsored

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Kia Borrego, 2012 Chevy Cruze, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I believe, and again will confirm at Ford, that it’s irregardless if you have the rack ordered or not.

The VIN I referenced had no roof rack either. I’ll cross reference more soon

I’m hopeful it will be updated but to add extra info, the Workshop Manual lacks any mention of the rear sway bar
I'd assume that it would be too, otherwise the roof rack order would cost significantly more from the factory than aftermarket options without the swaybar. This way they can have them all "safe" for future rack additions.

The previous argument against a rear sway bar (by a certain cohort of members who were vehemently opposed to the very suggestion of usable towing capability) was that it would limit articulation on a vehicle that's meant to maximize it. I wonder if the lesser wheel travel in the Sasquatch is already a limiting factor anyways? Or if te lesser articulation in the rear from that swaybar is insignificant at low speeds anyways?

Might also get a bit more tow rating (eventually) on 4 dr with this, and smaller tire packages.
One would hope. Unless they're from the cohort mentioned above, of course.

OP
OP
Broncoman7072

Broncoman7072

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
72 Bronco, 70 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I'd assume that it would be too, otherwise the roof rack order would cost significantly more from the factory than aftermarket options without the swaybar. This way they can have them all "safe" for future rack additions.

The previous argument against a rear sway bar (by a certain cohort of members who were vehemently opposed to the very suggestion of usable towing capability) was that it would limit articulation on a vehicle that's meant to maximize it. I wonder if the lesser wheel travel in the Sasquatch is already a limiting factor anyways? Or if te lesser articulation in the rear from that swaybar is insignificant at low speeds anyways?

One would hope. Unless they're from the cohort mentioned above, of course.
I don't plan to add a trailer hitch. We have a f150 and f250 if something needs towing.

I am more concerned with usable wheel travel. After seeing the video about the rear sway bar I will be doing some testing on my own. I am very curious now.

OtisFE

Outer Banks
First Name
Otis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Just to add my Bronco was built 12-23-2021. So it's in the first few days of MY 22 production. I don't know exactly when the model year change over happened. But it was during the week of 12-20-2021.
Not certain, but I believe the first 22's were built on 22 Dec

BadSquatch21

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Land Rover and Porsches; '22 Mansquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Seems pretty obvious it was added to all '22 4-door Sasquatch regardless if you added the roof rack from the factory. They know you can add the roof rack later.

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Kia Borrego, 2012 Chevy Cruze, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

The sway bar is very small, 17mm. I did some more cross referencing and have seen even Badlands, which is the flagship off-road system, includes the rear stabilizer. It should offer the exact same amount of articulation limits regardless. I will ask around but I'm fairly confident that nothing will change in capability off-road. I actually would like to get one myself.

Also I forgot to mention that this in fact won't assist tow ratings, that wasn't the intent. The factors that limit that are the suspension causing a low maximum tongue weight. I had originally thought after seeing the sway bar early on that maybe that was the goal but I confirmed otherwise.
The maximum tongue weight rating governing towing capacity theory is confusing to me, given that it is the same on all series except the very few that combine both highest curb weight and softest suspension. I buy the idea that at that point the available weight capacity at the hitch is limiting, but what about the much lighter trims on the standard suspension? Why would they only allow another 30ish lbs of tongue weight?

Sponsored

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Okay I have to say I'm a little surprised. I thought rear sway bars were basically "required". Maybe they're not as important as front sway bars. After all you can't go over 20 mph without the front sway bar automatically reconnecting for a reason.

The thought that there are some trims without a rear sway bar seems sketchy. Hell I put a bigger rear sway bar on my car to reduce body roll and it nowhere as top heavy as a Bronco. So to think there's a vehicle without one is crazy.

As for it being thin, remember sway bars work by twisting the metal not be bending. So if it's too thick it can't do its job.

Just to add to the topic, my JK Rubicon has a rear sway bar and it's 1" diameter.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Could the rear sway bar shown be part of a factory trailer tow package? Can the folks with and without the rear bar comment on if their build includes the tow package?
It has been stated by Ford several times, including a recent BN video, that adding the tow package is simply as the hitch and the 7 pin.... No other mechanical differences.

OP
OP
Broncoman7072

Broncoman7072

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
72 Bronco, 70 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Okay I have to say I'm a little surprised. I thought rear sway bars were basically "required". Maybe they're not as important as front sway bars. After all you can't go over 20 mph without the front sway bar automatically reconnecting for a reason.

The thought that there are some trims without a rear sway bar seems sketchy. Hell I put a bigger rear sway bar on my car to reduce body roll and it nowhere as top heavy as a Bronco. So to think there's a vehicle without one is crazy.

As for it being thin, remember sway bars work by twisting the metal not be bending. So if it's too thick it can't do its job.

Just to add to the topic, my JK Rubicon has a rear sway bar and it's 1" diameter.
My 08 f250 has no rear sway bar. My 19 f150 has no rear sway bar. And of course my two early Bronco have no sway bar at all. No doubt it's better to have a rear sway. Possibly at the cost of performance off-road. (Verdict is out on that).

Not having a rear sway bar isnt really as sketchy as you make it out. Driving a 2021 Bronco without a rear sway bar isn't as dangerous as you make it out. There may have been rear spring rate changes and they are using the sway bar to reduce the body roll from that change. Or like others have said they did it to allow roof rack.

Gatlinz

Outer Banks
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150, F-250, Edge and soon to be Bronco!
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I just check Vehicle Visibility with my VIN (4 door manual Badlands, non-sas, tow), and it says “Less Rear Stablizer Bar”.
where did you go to check that? sorry if you have already answered

Lawndart145

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Not certain, but I believe the first 22's were built on 22 Dec
The best I can tell the first '22's began on the 21st.

I'm a '22 and I had a blend date of the 21st
Sponsored