Sponsored

2022 Bronco has rear sway bar UPDATE: POLL ADDED

Does your MY 2022 Bronco have a rear sway bar?

• 2022 2 door Badlands has rear sway bar

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
OP
OP
Broncoman7072

Broncoman7072

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
72 Bronco, 70 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

The best I can tell the first '22's began on the 21st.

I'm a '22 and I had a blend date of the 21st
My blend day was 12/21 also. But mine wasn’t built until 12/23 and released 12/26.
Sponsored

Ryuk

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger, 2023 Ford F-150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

In Rock Crawling, a vehicle with properly setup swaybars, front and rear is extremely stable, reduces the risk of roll over and enhances traction.
You do need to match the length of the links that connect the swaybar to the frame, with your shock lengths

It's way better than being disconnected at 1 or both ends and a big reason why products like the Currie AntiRock and OffRoad Only SwayLoc exist.

The body of a vehicle that has one end completely disconnected will follow the angle of the suspension on the connected end. We see this in a lot of Bronco Videos. The body follows the lower front wheel. The body of a vehicle that is disconnected at both ends will lean downhill. That can make things really tippy on extreme terrain angles

Here is an example with my first Jeep which has front and rear swaybars.
Front is Offroad Only Swayloc, rear is stock with 11.5" links.
Look at how level the tub is compared to the rear axle
Ford Bronco 2022 Bronco has rear sway bar UPDATE: POLL ADDED 1642450203274

and from a different angle you can see that the front axles is flexed out in the other direction
Ford Bronco 2022 Bronco has rear sway bar UPDATE: POLL ADDED 1642450265312

Third angle where you can see the front swaybar and amount of axle droop. My Front shock was the limiting factor.
Ford Bronco 2022 Bronco has rear sway bar UPDATE: POLL ADDED 1642450342407

My current jeep, has a very similar build [Previous Owner copied my original jeep's setup] and as you can see, I have zero Articulation issues
Ford Bronco 2022 Bronco has rear sway bar UPDATE: POLL ADDED 1642450626659

I am still accumulating pictures with the new jeep, but have it dialed in really nice.

You Bronco Owners with the rear sway bar, take it as a win. If need be, you can fine tune it and have a much better offroad vehicle that will not limit the rear axles articulation.

Last edited:

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Kia Borrego, 2012 Chevy Cruze, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

The HOSS suspension systems whether it’s Hitachi or Bilstein are very soft and the weight easily begins to compress them. I’m in powertrain not chassis but that’s what I’ve been told. And also have seen it over and over again first hand. It’s the same reason for payload ratings.

The variance on trims is definitely greater than 30 pounds. The heavier trims add greater weight overall the vehicle, especially Sasquatch which adds a heavy tire directly off the back. I believe a Badlands is only rated to handle 3,220 which is 322 pounds of tongue weight.

The limitation is in that alone because of how badly it will squat when loaded. Mechanically and structurally Bronco can handle twice that

Edit: Monday brain fog, you’re right with the 30 pounds. The tongue weight is always going to be 10% of the maximum pulling capacity.
The HOSS suspension systems whether it’s Hitachi or Bilstein are very soft and the weight easily begins to compress them. I’m in powertrain not chassis but that’s what I’ve been told. And also have seen it over and over again first hand. It’s the same reason for payload ratings.

The variance on trims is definitely greater than 30 pounds. The heavier trims add greater weight overall the vehicle, especially Sasquatch which adds a heavy tire directly off the back. I believe a Badlands is only rated to handle 3,220 which is 322 pounds of tongue weight.

The limitation is in that alone because of how badly it will squat when loaded. Mechanically and structurally Bronco can handle twice that

Edit: Monday brain fog, you’re right with the 30 pounds. The tongue weight is always going to be 10% of the maximum pulling capacity.
If you say that there is little difference in squat under load between the three suspension types then I believe you, but even accepting that there is still too much discrepancy for me to accept at face value only the idea that tongue weight is the governing driver of tow capacity. Have a look at the GVWR details sheet released last year and compare differences in max tongue weight vs. differences in max payload among trims with the same wheelbase and powertrain. Since the 2.3L+7M in the four-door is BB, BD & BL only I focused on the jumps between those three, and they tell quite the story (while also avoiding any Sasquatch variables). In most of the cases there is a <20lb difference in max tongue weight going from BL to BD and then little or no difference in allowable tongue weight going from BD to BB, yet there is much less difference in allowable payload going from BL to BD than there is going from BD to BB. Check the aforementioned manual 4-doors for the easiest comparison. I don't buy that the BB can handle 250lb more payload than the BD but cannot handle any more tongue weight on that teeny tiny rear overhang, especially not if the the BD can handle only 40lbs more payload than the BL and that gives it 16lbs more tongue weight.

Of note is that all of the rear GAWRs are the same for each wheelbase, with only the front GAWR generally increasing with increasing GVWR. Then compare the front axle curb weights to the total curb weights and note that as the trims (again, within each wheelbase and powertrain grouping) get heavier, progressively more of the curb weight is put on the rear axle than the front axle which should partly explain the decrease in allowable tongue weight. Check out the manual 4-doors for example again though, and you'll see that the BB has ~2000lbs of its curb weight on the rear axle while both the BD and BL have ~2200lbs of their curb weight on the rear axle. So why is there no decrease in allowable tongue weight between the BB and BD, but there is between the BD and BL?

As has been discussed at earlier times in this community, there are a heck of a lot of signs here upholding the hypothesis that if the higher curb weight models have indeed been rated appropriately, then the lower curb weight models were artificially capped at the 3500lbs towing/350lbs tongue weight rating of a Class II hitch receiver, which is a real shame. This is especially problematic for many small travel trailers that come in right around the 3500lb GTWR mark but well exceed 350lbs of tongue weight. If you need more convincing, start comparing the given tow caps to the SAEJ2807 formula of GCWR-curb weight-300lbs. The higher curb weight models come in pretty dang close to the given tow caps, while the lower curb weight models are well off. By that formula a 2-door manual BB should be able to tow ~4200lbs! If it can tow that much, has 1240lbs of payload, and has almost 1000lbs available on the rear axle then why is the tongue weight capped at 350lbs?

GVWR Details (with Wildtrack).jpg

Clearwater native

Badlands
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19F-59,16-E350, 65C10,05TJ, 67RSCamaro, 65malibuSS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Maybe the aftermarket companies will produce a rear sway bar and it will possibly be with disconnects so we will have best of both worlds?

Kameronatm

Badlands
First Name
Kameron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Surely someone knows of another my22 where they can take a look underneath?

Sponsored

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Kia Borrego, 2012 Chevy Cruze, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Like I said I’m not in chassis so this isn’t my field. Just going off what I’m told by people I know I’m that field. It’s the same for why an Escape has 1,000 pounds more rating than the Bronco Sport maximums despite the entire chassis being the same albeit the suspension.

I’m not sure exactly what defines it but have always came to know that off-road packages and models decrease towing because of reduced weight bearing capability. But again this isn’t an official statement or reason just something that’s always been a thing I have seen. People bring up the same complaint with F-150 Raptor. Those vehicles also go right to the ground when taking load as well.

If you want to tow more, you need a different suspension system. You’re going to transfer too much weight rearward otherwise. It’s just very soft and bouncy, that’s how it was designed. Jump on the back of it and tell me you would like to have a 5,000 plus pound trailer yanking you around on a highway. It needs to be stiffened up to tow more weight. I’m sure yes other factors should play into it but the absolute first thing that will modify how it handles towing weight is the suspension being so extremely pliable by design.
Certainly vehicles with purposely designed and constructed off-road suspensions will carry and tow less than relatively equivalent vehicles with more conventional suspensions. Those two examples are perfect ones to show it. That's why I was careful to make my comparisons based on payload, gawr, and allowable tongue weight between series of the same vehicle with very similar suspensions, and in the context of allowable tongue weight being the main governor of tow capacity. That rear overhang is delightfully small, which should in theory help the tongue weight transfer to the rear axle with less squat. Yes it's soft and yes it will squat when towing, but how would 300lbs in the front seats and 350lbs just behind the rear axle be significantly worse than 300lbs in the front seat and 1100lbs between the rear seats and cargo area? For the record I'm a civil engineer and I do understand moment arms and the effects of point loads vs. distributed loads. Perhaps I'll do up a rough sketch tonight to illustrate my point ifnI have time and can find good dimensions to use. Maybe it'll show I'm wrong and clear the whole thing up!

If you know of anyone in chassis who is also in this community and can speak to this, it would be greatly appreciated.

BigMeatsBronco

First Edition
First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FE 2 door
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Seeing as this chassis is the basis for the next Gen Ranger, which will definitely have a rear sway... Did the supplier throw one on their by mistake??
The ranger uses a different rear axle and a different way of keeping it in alignment. No track bar.

Kameronatm

Badlands
First Name
Kameron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

No one else can take a look under a MY22? I just got my window sticker and it mentions the front stabilizer bar but nothing about a rear. non-SAS

Sponsored
OP
OP
Broncoman7072

Broncoman7072

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
72 Bronco, 70 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

No one else can take a look under a MY22? I just got my window sticker and it mentions the front stabilizer bar but nothing about a rear. non-SAS
Mine didn’t show on my window sticker either. But it showed under additional information on Oasis report. Just FYI.

Kameronatm

Badlands
First Name
Kameron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Mine didn’t show on my window sticker either. But it showed under additional information on Oasis report. Just FYI.
How do you search that?

OP
OP
Broncoman7072

Broncoman7072

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
72 Bronco, 70 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

bodean

Base
First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
76 Mini, 99 4Runner, 07 FJ Cruiser, 16 Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I’m really surprised no other 2022 owner has crawled under and had a look.

r21free

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 bronco badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I looked at mine the base doesnt have one ! the badlands has one , the badlands sasquatch doesnt.. seem to me that both badlands should if one does! Need to take it to the dealer and ask why?
Sponsored