First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Mach E
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Ok I know its not apples to apples but both are EcoBoost 6cyl and both are for the most part some form of all wheel drive. Most importantly both have Sport Mode so that I can drive them "normally" :)

When I first bought my SHO I noticed a throttle lag when the light would turn green and my foot me the floor. After a bit of research I replaced the restrictive cold air intake with a K&N and it "seemed" to resolve that issue plus it allowed the blow-off to make the sound that that I love.

I got my WT and after 2k break in placed it in its mandatory Sport GOAT mode and found the closest red light and challenged it to turn green. When my foot hit the floor it rolled forward up to about 10 miles an hour and then snapped my head backwards. At that point I assumed the same thing fix for the SHO would help and replaced the cold air intake with the Roush kit. Maybe a little better but still a delay.

So off to the dealer it went for a check up from the mechanic who specializes in turbos, superchargers and performance cars in general. After driving my WT and an Explorer ST he came back with "nothing wrong, both have the same type of delay". All he could attribute it to was it is Fords way of protecting the drive train from the instant torque. If true this could be why they had to replace two sets of transfer cases on the SHO in the first three years I owned it :)

I get my appreciation of performance from my father (who is no longer with me) who used to drag race a 1953 Ford Flathead. He taught me to drive using the on-off theory. The accelerator is either on or off any thing in between is getting you to on or off.

Has anyone else seen this lag in sport mode? If so what did you do to get rid of it or make it tolerable. The Ford mechanic did say that there would be a Ford tune released that would most likely take some of it away but probably not all of it. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored

smahones

Badlands
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ok I know its not apples to apples but both are EcoBoost 6cyl and both are for the most part some form of all wheel drive. Most importantly both have Sport Mode so that I can drive them "normally" :)

When I first bought my SHO I noticed a throttle lag when the light would turn green and my foot me the floor. After a bit of research I replaced the restrictive cold air intake with a K&N and it "seemed" to resolve that issue plus it allowed the blow-off to make the sound that that I love.

I got my WT and after 2k break in placed it in its mandatory Sport GOAT mode and found the closest red light and challenged it to turn green. When my foot hit the floor it rolled forward up to about 10 miles an hour and then snapped my head backwards. At that point I assumed the same thing fix for the SHO would help and replaced the cold air intake with the Roush kit. Maybe a little better but still a delay.

So off to the dealer it went for a check up from the mechanic who specializes in turbos, superchargers and performance cars in general. After driving my WT and an Explorer ST he came back with "nothing wrong, both have the same type of delay". All he could attribute it to was it is Fords way of protecting the drive train from the instant torque. If true this could be why they had to replace two sets of transfer cases on the SHO in the first three years I owned it :)

I get my appreciation of performance from my father (who is no longer with me) who used to drag race a 1953 Ford Flathead. He taught me to drive using the on-off theory. The accelerator is either on or off any thing in between is getting you to on or off.

Has anyone else seen this lag in sport mode? If so what did you do to get rid of it or make it tolerable. The Ford mechanic did say that there would be a Ford tune released that would most likely take some of it away but probably not all of it. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
Yep, the lag is real. I unlocked sport mode on my 2.7 squatch badlands and while it is a tremendous improvement, it I still lags.

MNbronco

Wildtrak
First Name
RC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150 Tremor, 2021 Bronco sport
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Try a pedal commander or similar product

zyglyrox

Base
First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘22 BaseSAS / ‘21 Bronco Sport BB
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Ford limits TQ in the first 2/3 gears to prevent you from breaking anything. Only thing you can do it something like a Burger Tuning JB4, to add additional power by more boost, or get a computer tune from someone such as Five Star or similar.

Adding a pedal commander will do nothing. It’s the same thing the sport mode does, which is turn the gain up on the throttle blade, giving you the feeling of “more power” with less throttle input. You don’t get any more power, nor does it come on sooner.

Sponsored
OP
OP
JFelty

JFelty

Wildtrak
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Mach E
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Ford limits TQ in the first 2/3 gears to prevent you from breaking anything. Only thing you can do it something like a Burger Tuning JB4, to add additional power by more boost, or get a computer tune from someone such as Five Star or similar.

Adding a pedal commander will do nothing. It’s the same thing the sport mode does, which is turn the gain up on the throttle blade, giving you the feeling of “more power” with less throttle input. You don’t get any more power, nor does it come on sooner.
A few of the guys at the Ford dealer where I purchased it from have used the Whipple tune and love it. I may go in a talk to them. The issue I have with that is that it is so detectable if something were to go wrong. The JB4 may be a better solution for me. I am not looking for huge gains just something to get rid of the lag between the pedal and acceleration.

Thank for your input!!

zyglyrox

Base
First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘22 BaseSAS / ‘21 Bronco Sport BB
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

A few of the guys at the Ford dealer where I purchased it from have used the Whipple tune and love it. I may go in a talk to them. The issue I have with that is that it is so detectable if something were to go wrong. The JB4 may be a better solution for me. I am not looking for huge gains just something to get rid of the lag between the pedal and acceleration.

Thank for your input!!
FWIW, I’ve used a JB4 before on friends vehicles and they’re easy to set up and remove. And if you run them in the first few “safe” maps you have nothing to worry about.

OP
OP
JFelty

JFelty

Wildtrak
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Mach E
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
After much thought and all of the info on this forum I will be ordering the JB4 today and hoping that will do the trick. Thanks everyone!!
Sponsored