Sponsored

2023 clicking after 6 hours of wheeling...not resolved but diagnosed *see first post for short version*

Valhalla

Badlands
First Name
Valhalla
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco,1996 Bronco, F350, JKU, MKZ, Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I received my Bronco finally after years of wait last week. On the weekend I took it for a 6 hour off-highway adventure. Upon returning to the highway I am having a clicking which seems to be like it is on the verge of engaging the front end. i dropped it at the dealer today so they can fix whatever is going on i'll try to keep up with it here.

I'm going to cut out the suspense, the dealer is saying the front differential failed...it's on backorder so add a month plus before I get it back.
Sponsored

Last edited:

OuterJersey

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Toyota,VW, Lexus, Triumph, Honda MC
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Rock in tire? I’m sure you checked that though

OP
OP
Valhalla

Valhalla

Badlands
First Name
Valhalla
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thanks admin, sorry for posting in the wrong place. Outer jersey that was my first thought as i drove out of the park so i wasn't worried. It wasn't rocks. It sounds like a front end still engaged with the T-case is 2 wheel high.

OuterJersey

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Toyota,VW, Lexus, Triumph, Honda MC
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Sorry to hear. As I read more and more I think I’m getting extended warranty…more and more

OP
OP
Valhalla

Valhalla

Badlands
First Name
Valhalla
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

TBH if you SAS-ed the front then you shouldn't have this issue. I bought mine to wheel and to a lesser extent drive onroad. I have 427 miles on it but the wheel protectors have rock rash the center skid has a gouge from front to rear. i spent two hours cleaning the interior from snow melt. However it did awesome.

20230114_124925.jpg

Sponsored
OP
OP
Valhalla

Valhalla

Badlands
First Name
Valhalla
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

LOL, I just realized this community is calling SAS for sasquatch, I've had my 96 built up on a solid axle swap for years, that is known as SAS in most off road forums. forgive my term ignorance.
Ford Bronco 2023 clicking after 6 hours of wheeling...not resolved but diagnosed *see first post for short version* 20170904_171543

Ford Motor Company

First Edition
Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I received my Bronco finally after years of wait last week. On the weekend I took it for a 6 hour off-highway adventure. Upon returning to the highway I am having a clicking which seems to be like it is on the verge of engaging the front end. i dropped it at the dealer today so they can fix whatever is going on i'll try to keep up with it here.
Hi Valhalla. Can you send us a DM with your VIN and dealership info? I can look into this for you.

BirdDogger

Black Diamond
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 4runnerTRDP - 1997 Lexus LX450 Locked
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

A front end clicking noise could point to a CV joint. Did you notice any damage to any boots, or oil leaking from them? It could be something stupid like a stick stuck somewhere you can't see or a stone bouncing around on top of a skid plate. I found a few small stones making noise on my front skid right under the front diff.

OP
OP
Valhalla

Valhalla

Badlands
First Name
Valhalla
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

A front end clicking noise could point to a CV joint. Did you notice any damage to any boots, or oil leaking from them? It could be something stupid like a stick stuck somewhere you can't see or a stone bouncing around on top of a skid plate. I found a few small stones making noise on my front skid right under the front diff.
I did check it thoroughly to make sure it wasn't the usual suspects. Tires off the ground the front end seems to be still engaged. I don't know if this is by design though. Tranny in neutral the tires are spinning opposite one another and if I engage them the same way they rotate the front shaft. seems like not unlocking but as I said I'm not sure of the design. It is not in the T-case as the rear never engages at all.

20230114_110149.jpg

Sponsored

66Fan

Wildtrak
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

OP
OP
Valhalla

Valhalla

Badlands
First Name
Valhalla
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Well the dealer contacted me back, they diagnosed it as something wrong with the front differential. 427 miles on the odometer, come on Eaton/dana/spicer! they don't know which part failed exactly but I'd assume there is some sort of actuator to keep the axles from turning through to the driveshaft.... anyone have a diagram?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Valhalla

Valhalla

Badlands
First Name
Valhalla
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Update to the update....they think the carrier failed, this is dana 44 reverse rotation technology so I'd assume just bad part that got past Eaton's quality checkpoint's...So it's under warranty the bad is it's on backorder from the manufacture and it's down till they fix/replace this...

OP
OP
Valhalla

Valhalla

Badlands
First Name
Valhalla
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Update 3, so far Ford customer service has seemed very helpful, they said they've located a front differential and it will ship on Jan. 27th.... i will post here on the facts....
Sponsored