Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I just looked at my video of others driving on the rock. Not as steep as I remember. Got super steep for a second, then you get up on it and it leveled out. Here is a pic from the video. Crossed a little creek and had to engage both lockers as you got onto this rock. my guess is somewhere between 35 and 45 degrees max. All I saw was sky, so it was definitely wild. So cool though. That creek and the hill climb was no big deal for us, but as I was watched your video, I was thinking to myself, "this should be interesting when wet..." You drove up it like it was dry. The Bronco is so BADASS!

I was just astonished with how little slippage there was on almost every obstacle. Tires were aired down to 20, had it in rock crawl mode and intermittent front and rear lockers just made it super smooth!

20221114_105714.jpg
Sponsored

kevin.gt

Base
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

As a soon to be owner (fingers crossed), I really enjoyed your video and feedback! I too am debating my Off-Roadeo location, although Texas has been my focus so far primarily due to geographical distance.
Although the Texas off roadeo was great and I try not to have any regret, I think Moab would be better. There are times when I felt like the Austin trails were tailor built for the experience (which I believe they were). Frequent power lines and views of the highway.

I passed the Moab location when heading to top of the world. Awesome views everywhere up there

rws

Wildtrak
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 VW GTI, 2018 Silverado 1500 LT Z71
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Holy smokes! So after a long few days I wanted to get a write up done.

The trip out to the Texas off-roadeo was awesome! It also doubled as a test of MPG. In the city since owning it i averaged 17.5 on regular. I took the trip out to Texas on regular, and then made the switch to premium and drove back on that, and will then do the next 5/6 fill ups on premium to get a good gauge of city MPG differences. trip out there ran a little over on time as i didnt get the screenshot right away, but 16 hours, 1121.7 miles, 16.1 recorded avg mpg and an average speed of right around 70. That being said a good deal of the trip was in the 80+ speed.

The trip back on premium was 15.5 hours, 1116.9 miles, recorded avg mpg was 16.2 with similar speeds, so no real impact on higher speed road trips, im sure if the average speed was in the 60’s it would have shown a more of a difference, but i have a feeling my city mpg will increase from 17.5 and will update as i can.

Now onto the real journey! The off-roadeo. Wow, just wow. Words can not express how impressed i was with not only the Texas location, but the ability of the bronco. Spent the morning doing a little education on the switches, dials, and buttons, along with the ideal way to do certain items. Then Texas thought it would be great to rain, basically all day, which for sure made for an interesting day. Took a little video of some of the trails we went on and it just doesn’t do it justice. The incline and declines dont translate well on the video but there were plenty of times i was staring at the sky or the ground, and the bronco soaked up every inch of it.

Going in depth with the goat modes and the hero switches, when to use them, when to turn them on and off was really good. I am more than excited to plan an off road adventure knowing just how capable this thing is.

For anyone thinking about going, i would highly recommend it. While talking with some of the staff, rumor has it that they may be opening up the chances to go to more than one off-roadeo location per owner, if thats the case i would love to hit up the Moab one. That’s probably where im going to travel to for my first big outing, but who knows what will happen between now and then. Thanks for whomever reads this! Also attached a video if you want to check it out!
Thanks for the post and quite timely as my wife and I are making the journey to Texas Off-Rodeo this week. Driving from the Atlanta area, also going to make it a "journey"!

NasBronco

Badlands
First Name
Naomi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Not sure which obstacle in particular that one is but we did a LOT of things I didn’t think we would be able to do with it pouring but the broncos ate them up, looks like they have a high speed course for the Baja mode but we didn’t do it (probably would tear it up being so muddy)
This is a great write up. I went to the Texas location as well and would really love getting the chance to go to a couple others, Moab and New Hampshire. They cancelled the Baja course right before we went in August of 2021. I believe it was too much wear and tear on the Broncos.

Austin Bronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Triumph Street Scrambler
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Great write up. I live in Austin and was impressed with the amount of knowledge I gained from the rodeo as newbie off roader . My wife too, had a great time and really felt more confident after. Boss hogged it thru some tight limestone and cedar trails.

Sponsored

fields_day

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 4dr Badlands - 2023 2dr Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Awesome! Glad you had a good time. Yesterday a few of us drove from San Antonio to meet up with a few of the Miami Club peeps who flew over to do the Off-Rodeo. I did it myself a couple months ago and it was a blast. Too bad you didn't get to do the "Fun-Haver" dirt track at the end, that thing was a blast!

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4dr OBX MIC 2.7 Rear Locker A51 Roast
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Holy smokes! So after a long few days I wanted to get a write up done.

The trip out to the Texas off-roadeo was awesome! It also doubled as a test of MPG. In the city since owning it i averaged 17.5 on regular. I took the trip out to Texas on regular, and then made the switch to premium and drove back on that, and will then do the next 5/6 fill ups on premium to get a good gauge of city MPG differences. trip out there ran a little over on time as i didnt get the screenshot right away, but 16 hours, 1121.7 miles, 16.1 recorded avg mpg and an average speed of right around 70. That being said a good deal of the trip was in the 80+ speed.

The trip back on premium was 15.5 hours, 1116.9 miles, recorded avg mpg was 16.2 with similar speeds, so no real impact on higher speed road trips, im sure if the average speed was in the 60’s it would have shown a more of a difference, but i have a feeling my city mpg will increase from 17.5 and will update as i can.

Now onto the real journey! The off-roadeo. Wow, just wow. Words can not express how impressed i was with not only the Texas location, but the ability of the bronco. Spent the morning doing a little education on the switches, dials, and buttons, along with the ideal way to do certain items. Then Texas thought it would be great to rain, basically all day, which for sure made for an interesting day. Took a little video of some of the trails we went on and it just doesn’t do it justice. The incline and declines dont translate well on the video but there were plenty of times i was staring at the sky or the ground, and the bronco soaked up every inch of it.

Going in depth with the goat modes and the hero switches, when to use them, when to turn them on and off was really good. I am more than excited to plan an off road adventure knowing just how capable this thing is.

For anyone thinking about going, i would highly recommend it. While talking with some of the staff, rumor has it that they may be opening up the chances to go to more than one off-roadeo location per owner, if thats the case i would love to hit up the Moab one. That’s probably where im going to travel to for my first big outing, but who knows what will happen between now and then. Thanks for whomever reads this! Also attached a video if you want to check it out!
Nice write-up, my son and I did Texas Off Roadeo on Halloween as part of a 2,900 RT from Charleston, SC. Great experience, I second your encouragement that people plan to attend. We'll be back to Horseshoe Bay when they offer the rescue/extraction school! We averaged 20 mpg on our stock OBX (non-SAS).

SubmarineNuke

Wildtrak
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Website
twitch.tv
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I will say from experience that at speeds 75+ your MPG goes down the tubes. And Texas has a lot of highway that’s 75-80+ so good luck with that.

Glad you enjoyed the Texas locale. I was up I. The Palo Duro at Merus and it was cold as all get out. Hopefully the rain we’ve gotten the last few months allowed for more water on site than when I went there in June.

brauncoboy

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer Sport Trac
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Did you drive straight thru? Or did you stop for the night halfway? My 14yo son and I were contemplating driving to Texas from Florida (Gainesville) as well - but I was worried the drive time would kill the trip. Appreciate your thoughts.

OP
OP
DocFuller

DocFuller

Badlands
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Did you drive straight thru? Or did you stop for the night halfway? My 14yo son and I were contemplating driving to Texas from Florida (Gainesville) as well - but I was worried the drive time would kill the trip. Appreciate your thoughts.
I’m a big road trip fan, and unless i have a reason to stop, i dont. On the trip out I left my house later than i wanted to and got on the road around 0530 and made it to Texas around i think 10pm. I packed a cooler with drinks, ziploc snack portions, and separated out sammich making stuff so when i stopped for gas it was pull in, start the pump, go use the bathroom, come out and hit the road again. I had things planned for the next day so stopping wasn’t really in the cards for me.

That being said on the way back i got on the road a bit earlier and landed in st augustine at 830 (losing an hour on the way back sucked haha) but it maximized my time in Texas. If i could do it again i would likely extend the trip out a day or two to really enjoy my visit but i lived in Texas for about 7 years so for me it was all about visitin with my sister from a different mister, and the off-roadeo. If you guys have things planned for the trip to stop and break it up i dont see that harming the trip at all i just didnt want to stop halfway for the only purpose of stopping.

Sponsored

JohnnyMotorBoat

Wildtrak
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Wildtrak 2 Door
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Yikes - wet limestone is some slippery stuff. I was out there a couple days after you (Sunday 11/13) and it had dried up pretty well. A couple of segments in my video have picture in picture of the driver's view vs. folks filming outside. Spent a lot of time staring at the sky thru the windshield and really got some use out of the onboard camera system.

BroncoBarn

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
We were at the Texas Off Roadeo on Saturday the 12th, we also went to Moab back in May. They both have things that we enjoyed. The scenery in Moab is unbeatable and the Dome Plateau trail was awesome. We did think that Texas had more technical sections and tighter trails, giving us a different experience than Moab. We loved them both.

Beach_Bum

Black Diamond
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Diamond Bronco, 2023 Outerbanks Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I drive the I-10 frequently to visit family that lives in Katy, TX (west side of Houston). I always break it up into 2 days. I target Baton Rouge to Lafayette depending on how the trip west has gone. Ideally, I want to get past Beau Bridge. But if time isn't on my side, I get off and clear that bottleneck in the morning when there is less likely of an accident. If there is an accident/break down, then you can be stuck as there is no efficient way for them to clear it. There is no detour.

Get past Beau Bridge, then I crash in Lafayette as then I'm in no hurry to finish the drive plus I avoid Houston traffic that will build by the evening. Austin will be another 2 hours from Houston. I'm sure you can avoid Houston, but in my case, I have no choice in order to see family.

Best advice I can give is to watch your speed in Tallahassee. 10 miles before and after as a buffer, then you can resume normal speeding. Highway Patrol is crazy around Tally as if they are trying to justify their bloated budget.

Last edited:

rwm01

Badlands
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Roush RS1, 2023 Renegade, 2004 F350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
We went to the Texas Off-Roadeo the Saturday before Halloween. Drove in from north central Oklahoma. We went thru N.E. Texas to meet my son. It rained on us almost all the way down.

Amazing how capable a Bronco Badlands on 33s is.
1B9A4043.jpg
Sponsored