Sponsored

2500 miles in and the check engine light already popped on - any advice on shutting it off? (2021 Bronco Big Bend)

mackdawg

Big Bend
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Hey everyone - I'm an owner of a 2021 Big Bend bronco, and since July I've put on 2500 miles so far. And already, the check engine light is on :(

It pinged my phone saying that the fuel cap is not properly sealed - which is funny, considering that there is no fuel cap. I tried making sure the fuel door was shut, and that nothing was blocking the tube, but the light is still on. The car is running fine with no issues, so I'm thinking it's just a fluke.

I disconnected the battery in an attempt to reset the engine light, but had no luck. Has anyone dealt with this so far yet / have any tips on fixing it myself? I would hate to have to take time out of work to stop by the dealership (already) for them to just turn the light off.

Thanks for the help! I'm pretty new/inexperienced when it comes to cars, since I've only been driving beat up Ford Focuses for 10 years before the Bronco, but I'm excited to actually start learning more about servicing and maintaining the Bronco myself now.
Sponsored

MayhemMike

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Go and buy a $50 OBD II s banner, plug it in and read what the code is.Then clear the code if it is a nonsensical code. If it reads something ominous take it in for service ASAP.

Drex

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 SLK55 AMG, '15 Indian Chief, '15 WRX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Major evaporative leak generally takes three start/stop cycles to self clear.

Frankie945

Base
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Q50
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Sounds like could be Evap code that’s emissions. Probably nothing but could be loose hose clamp or something minor I’d take it to dealer just because it’s brand new.

Sponsored

Thed

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 GX460 '16 Miata '67 F-100 '21 Streetfighter V4
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I'm pretty new/inexperienced
If you don't know what you're doing, get it to someone that does. Check engine lights can be anything from a software glitch to an engine about to tear itself apart. You don't know unless you pull the codes with an actual code reader. They don't just pop on for no reason, either. Trying to "shut it off" without making any real repairs is a fool's errand.

It's brand new and still under warranty. At the very minimum have the dealer pull codes to see if it's something serious or not. If it's not serious, then you can schedule a time to come in later when they have availability.

AP_2004

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
E46 M3, IS250
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
If you don't know what you're doing, get it to someone that does. Check engine lights can be anything from a software glitch to an engine about to tear itself apart. You don't know unless you pull the codes with an actual code reader. They don't just pop on for no reason, either. Trying to "shut it off" without making any real repairs is a fool's errand.

It's brand new and still under warranty. At the very minimum have the dealer pull codes to see if it's something serious or not. If it's not serious, then you can schedule a time to come in later when they have availability.
I second this.

ChrisD

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Badlands, 2021 Lincoln Corsair
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Seriously, yes, take it to the fast lane service at your dealer. They can check the code, verify if anything is wrong, and reset it if nothing is the problem. If it is a problem, they can fix it. It should be free under warranty.

That's more peace of mind than just resetting the code. And if it indicates something more major than the actual code reveals, you'll get that fixed up, too.

For instance, my 2019 Ram, got a MIL on it. The codes indicated rough idle. Probably bad gas, huh? Well, it was running like crap and instead of pouring a bottle of STP in and resetting the code, I took it into the dealer and wound up getting a cylinder head rebuilt. Didn't cost me a dime and it ran like a champ from then on.

Felix808

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After 746 days, a MY22 4-door Badlands Bronco :-)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Seriously, yes, take it to the fast lane service at your dealer. They can check the code, verify if anything is wrong, and reset it if nothing is the problem. If it is a problem, they can fix it. It should be free under warranty.

That's more peace of mind than just resetting the code. And if it indicates something more major than the actual code reveals, you'll get that fixed up, too.

For instance, my 2019 Ram, got a MIL on it. The codes indicated rough idle. Probably bad gas, huh? Well, it was running like crap and instead of pouring a bottle of STP in and resetting the code, I took it into the dealer and wound up getting a cylinder head rebuilt. Didn't cost me a dime and it ran like a champ from then on.
Also by taking it to your dealer, it logs the issue. If documented trends develop it will help others further down the line ;)

Dave-O

Big Bend
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150/Mach-E
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Hey everyone - I'm an owner of a 2021 Big Bend bronco, and since July I've put on 2500 miles so far. And already, the check engine light is on :(

It pinged my phone saying that the fuel cap is not properly sealed - which is funny, considering that there is no fuel cap. I tried making sure the fuel door was shut, and that nothing was blocking the tube, but the light is still on. The car is running fine with no issues, so I'm thinking it's just a fluke.

I disconnected the battery in an attempt to reset the engine light, but had no luck. Has anyone dealt with this so far yet / have any tips on fixing it myself? I would hate to have to take time out of work to stop by the dealership (already) for them to just turn the light off.

Thanks for the help! I'm pretty new/inexperienced when it comes to cars, since I've only been driving beat up Ford Focuses for 10 years before the Bronco, but I'm excited to actually start learning more about servicing and maintaining the Bronco myself now.
What engine?
Sponsored