Sponsored

285/75/17 inch tires with 2.7 engine- 4.46 or 4.7 gears?

jay-rod427

Badlands
First Name
Jerod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Carbonized gray 2 dr BadLands Sans-Squatch ordered
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Were you able to order non-squatch Badlands with 4.7 gearing? Some posts say that's not possible.
If so, was their an upcharge? I have an early reservation, but hesitated on ordering, so trying to sneak an order in today.

I recently re-geared another vehicle (to be lower), and have been super happy (despite there being valid points on both sides).

Thanks in advance.
-Scuba
4.7 comes with manual in non Sasquatch. otherwise 4.46 in Badlands with A10.
Sponsored

scuba

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Tahoe Z71
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
4.7 comes with manual in non Sasquatch. otherwise 4.46 in Badlands with A10.
Thank you sir-- that's definitely what the "order Guide" PDF says:

[Note #3 under 4.7 for Badlands] "3. Available only as Sasquatch™ Package (765) content on 2-Door Advanced 4x4 (E5C) / 4-Door Advanced 4x4 (E5D)"

However, @AcesandEights and a few others have mentioned getting the auto+4.7+non-squatch, so just quadruple checking before hanging up hope.

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Disclaimer - I promise I have tried to figure this out based on the various threads/posts from people who know 100% more than I do (I know nothing). I still don't know what the relative behavior of each gear option will be with 285/75/17 (33.8 inches) inch tires and the 2.7 engine. Someone made a very helpful calculator pinned to this board but it did not include 34 inch tires as an option (which I get because it's not an option from Ford) But I would be grateful for any informed opinions or even educated guesses on how each gear option will behave (off the line, top speed, how hard the engine will work, MPG hit) This is one of my few remaining questions before I finalize my build. I have no intention of going to 35s - I have 285/75/17 on my Wrangler now and to me it's the sweet spot, but if the intel suggests I should gear up, even if just for re-sale, then maybe I will select the 4.7 gear option.
Thanks in advance!
Interesting, but the thing is most 285/75/17s I can find are E rated. I have E rated 295/70/17 Duratracs on my JKUR and they behave and ride way worse than D rated 285/70/17s. My buddy has 315/70/17 D rated Duratracs and they ride and behave better. I would eye that E rating as stiff pickup cargo hauling sidewall that may not be the best choice for the Bronco (which comes stock with C rated).

What 285/75/17s do you have and how do you find they ride?

Agree with others that 4.7 is maybe best (7MT or 10AT?), but given what most Jeeps are running around on 315s with, you'd be more than fine with either.

At some point gearing charts per engine / transmission / tire size will come out. Maybe worth waiting to make that investment until more is known.

Last edited:

jay-rod427

Badlands
First Name
Jerod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Carbonized gray 2 dr BadLands Sans-Squatch ordered
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Interesting, but the thing is most 285/75/17s Ican find are E rated. I have E rated 295/70/17 Duratracs on my JKUR and they behave and ride way worse than D rated 285/70/17s. My buddy has 315/70/17 D rated Duratracs and they ride and behave better. I would eye that E rating as stiff pickup cargo hauling sidewall that may not be the best choice for the Bronco (which comes stock with C rated).

What 285/75/17s do you have and how do you find they ride?

Agree with others that 4.7 is maybe best (7MT or 10AT?), but given what most Jeeps are running around on 315s with, you'd be more than fine with either.

At some point gearing charts per engine / transmission / tire size will come out. Maybe worth waiting to make that investment until more is known.
You can get the ridge grappler in 285/75/17 load range C.

OP
OP
peterh

peterh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep wrangler jlu 2018
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I also think the Toyos are load range C - I don't even remember what I have on mine right now LOL! but they are load range E and stiffer but the Fox Shocks seem to help.
Sponsored