Sponsored

285/75/17s on a Black Diamond NON Sasquatch?

Disciple Mike

Outer Banks
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverado 1500, Bronco, 600RR
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I put this tire size on our Bronco back in 2021 with a 1” level, and this guy flagged my wife down while she was driving to ask about the tire size and setup. I thought it was kind of funny but also a nice compliment of our choices. Glad more people are running this size, seemed like a sleeper for a while.
Sponsored

fitterhappier

Outer Banks
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

What's the hit to acceleration and MPG with the 34s? Anything noticeable? I have an OBX with the steelies - running 32s but definitely like the look of these Toyos.

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Interesting that we have the same model Bronco with the same size wheels, but because of the way the spokes are formed on the alloys, the steelies make the same tires look a little fatter…

0DB75838-9548-4715-B2BF-357C281B5D2A.jpeg
That is crazy- I do love those alloy wheels and if I had ordered mine, I would have went with them. Don’t get me wrong I love the steelies in black but I really love those black alloy wheels.

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
What's the hit to acceleration and MPG with the 34s? Anything noticeable? I have an OBX with the steelies - running 32s but definitely like the look of these Toyos.
I still need to use Forscan to adjust my speedometer and transmission. I’m terrified to do it as I’ve never done it before but regardless, I’m sure others here will have a good idea.

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Interesting that we have the same model Bronco with the same size wheels, but because of the way the spokes are formed on the alloys, the steelies make the same tires look a little fatter…

0DB75838-9548-4715-B2BF-357C281B5D2A.jpeg
Yeah there are several things that impact the look so to speak. I had two CJs, both with 31 inch tires. But the smaller CJ-5 had wider rims, and people were often asking if I was running 33s. Rated tire size was same for both vehicles, but optically they appeared different.

Also on this site I've seen some lifts, that signficnatly impacted the look of the tire size (made tires seem smaller). So you want to take into account a number of things, when selecting the wheel/tire combo.

Sponsored

tsquared5

Badlands
First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Honda Pilot, 90 Jeep Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I trimmed about 10mm off the rubber bumpers with a razor knife. Fits perfectly now...
Can you post a picture of where you trimmed the bumper?

Moto26

Black Diamond
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F150 4x4 SuperCab STX -- 2016 Yamaha XSR900
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Can you post a picture of where you trimmed the bumper?
Not the “bumper”, but the little rubber bumpers that keep the tire stable. I found a picture online that shows these bumpers, and I drew in a dashed line where you would trim them. The 285 is 20mm wider than the stock BD tire, so the sidewall wants to sit 10mm closer to the tailgate, and if you don’t trim the bumpers, you really have to jam the tire on there when you try to install the lug nuts…

Ford Bronco 285/75/17s on a Black Diamond NON Sasquatch? IMG_5463

tsquared5

Badlands
First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Honda Pilot, 90 Jeep Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Not the “bumper”, but the little rubber bumpers that keep the tire stable. I found a picture online that shows these bumpers, and I drew in a dashed line where you would trim them. The 285 is 20mm wider than the stock BD tire, so the sidewall wants to sit 10mm closer to the tailgate, and if you don’t trim the bumpers, you really have to jam the tire on there when you try to install the lug nuts…

Ford Bronco 285/75/17s on a Black Diamond NON Sasquatch? IMG_5463
Got it! Thanks for clarifying. That makes a lot more sense.

shnider10

Badlands
First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Chevy Impala
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Anyone running at 285/75/17 on a badlands stock wheel? Would love to see it!

RBM

Black Diamond
First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Thanks to all who posted on this. Helped me make the right decision.

Just put Hankook Dynapro AT2 Xtreme 285/75 17 on my 2023. This is the perfect size tire. The hankook is great. Smooth and quiet AT tire.

No lift and No rubbing. I may do a level later. Love the way this size tire fills up the wheel well

Height with stock tires: front 36.5 rear 37.5 ground to fender lip. With new 285/75 17 front 37.5 rear 38.25 ground to fender lip

Before and After pics below. Hope this helps someone like it did me.
Ford Bronco 285/75/17s on a Black Diamond NON Sasquatch? IMG_6619
Ford Bronco 285/75/17s on a Black Diamond NON Sasquatch? IMG_6620

Ford Bronco 285/75/17s on a Black Diamond NON Sasquatch? IMG_6646
Ford Bronco 285/75/17s on a Black Diamond NON Sasquatch? IMG_6647
Ford Bronco 285/75/17s on a Black Diamond NON Sasquatch? IMG_6649
Ford Bronco 285/75/17s on a Black Diamond NON Sasquatch? IMG_6648

Sponsored

5280Bronco

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
02 Mustang GT, 05 Volvo V70R, 17 Mazda 6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Looks fantastic! Thanks for sharing.

I would love to go with that size if I could find a three peak rated non-e load tire in it. I have just never seen one.

Discount Tire

Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
discountti.re
Vehicle(s)
All Things FORD
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Looks fantastic! Thanks for sharing.

I would love to go with that size if I could find a three peak rated non-e load tire in it. I have just never seen one.
How do you feel about Toyo Open Country A/T 3 LR C?

5280Bronco

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
02 Mustang GT, 05 Volvo V70R, 17 Mazda 6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

How do you feel about Toyo Open Country A/T 3 LR C?
Way late on this response and I appreciate you saying something, but I've just not heard the greatest reviews on those compared to the falkens or the bfgs. I'll definitely keep them in mind though, because the size is exactly what I'm looking for so I have to weigh that as well.

Discount Tire

Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
discountti.re
Vehicle(s)
All Things FORD
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Way late on this response and I appreciate you saying something, but I've just not heard the greatest reviews on those compared to the falkens or the bfgs. I'll definitely keep them in mind though, because the size is exactly what I'm looking for so I have to weigh that as well.
I understand your concerns. Great tire, just not a whole lot in the C range to choose from.

Scott M

Black Diamond
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Bronco Black Diamond, '99 BMW M3, '88 BMW 325i
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Just had a set of the 285/75R17 LR C Toyo Open Country A/T III installed on our 2023 Black Diamond 2.3L Auto last week. I am very happy with how they look and feel. We put 600 miles on them already in a variety of conditions (snow, ice, gravel, rain, pavement) and here some thoughts:

Big thanks to those of you (@PootsBronco @redone17 @Moto26 @BlkDiamondintheRough and others) that provided the photos and information which helped me make the decision. (And thanks @Discount Tire!)

My main concern prior to driving on them was the additional weight of the 34" Toyos compared to the 31" Grabbers. At a little more than extra 12lbs per tire, I knew that was going to be noticeable, but didn't know how much so. I was happy to find that the additional weight doesn't detract much at all from the driving dynamics. Yes, you can feel the extra weight but it balances out the ride a bit better (feels more planted and softer over bumps) and the additional inertia on the drivetrain has the benefit of smoothing out the 10-spd's shifting. The Bronco overall now feels a bit less sports SUV and more like a truck, but I think it suits the vehicle's character a bit more and the tires now feel better matched to the heft of the chassis. It took about 3 days to get used to the new dynamics and after a week it feels perfectly normal. Main difference is slightly more brake pedal pressure to come to a stop, slightly more throttle to get up to speed, and slightly more steering effort when cornering.

I'm running them at 35psi cold and recalibrated the speedo with Forscan (I used 2565 for Tire Circumference (mm) and it is dead-on with my gps at 70mph)

The 2.3 with the 10spd has plenty of power and accelerates and cruises at 80mph (or above) effortlessly. Looks like we lost about .5 to 1 mpg.

The OC AT3s roll more smoothly than the Grabbers with less overall vibration. They aren't necessarily quieter, but their noise on the highway is in a higher frequency band which makes the tire noise less intrusive when talking or listening to music. They also pick up and throw much less gravel. They drive as well, if not better, than the Grabbers in wet or dry and felt very surefooted in the snow and ice we just had in the northwest.

Oh and they look great too! What is only about 1" of ride height difference looks and feels 3" when standing next to it or from the driver seat. Photos don't do them justice either- they appear much larger in person with a nice sidewall bulge and aggressive side lugs and tread pattern. Perfectly completes the look of the Black Diamond steel wheels in my opinion - it's sitting pretty now with no other mods.

Some photos:
Ford Bronco 285/75/17s on a Black Diamond NON Sasquatch? 20240113_143224

Ford Bronco 285/75/17s on a Black Diamond NON Sasquatch? DSC_7556

Ford Bronco 285/75/17s on a Black Diamond NON Sasquatch? DSC_7575-Enhanced-NR

Ford Bronco 285/75/17s on a Black Diamond NON Sasquatch? DSC_7677-Enhanced-NR-2

Ford Bronco 285/75/17s on a Black Diamond NON Sasquatch? DSC_7730-Enhanced-NR-3
Sponsored

Last edited: